PDA

View Full Version : Monkey

PlatinumJester
2007-09-26, 12:25 PM
Does anyone know a site where I can watch Monkey (Journey to the West).

CrazedGoblin
2007-09-26, 12:27 PM
was that the thing you saw on that poster today?

PlatinumJester
2007-09-26, 12:44 PM
was that the thing you saw on that poster today?

What thing on what poster? :smallconfused:

It wasn't monkey at any rate.

Closet_Skeleton
2007-09-26, 12:51 PM
Being a cult series, it's probably on overpriced DvDs marketed towards nostalgic nerd.

Darn... I should stop being so cynical.

Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monkey_%28TV_series%29#Remakes) agrees with me that it's on DvD.

Jibar
2007-09-26, 12:58 PM
This does remind me.
If you're a fan of that, you may want to go and have a look at the Monkey Opera, by one of the best creative teams ever.
Go on, guess.
Excuse me while I go link dig.

Edit: In the words of a flying superhero's slipstream WOOSH! (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monkey:_Journey_to_the_West)

PlatinumJester
2007-09-26, 03:28 PM
Yeah I was gonna see that anyway due to the funkiness of it.:smallcool:

Lemur
2007-09-26, 07:21 PM
I think you can see an episode (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-gmABsTi1-k) or two on youtube, but not much more than that. That's assuming that this is the same Monkey you're thinking of (it's a classic story, and there have been multiple tellings of it on the TV screen alone).

The full version of the story is worth reading as well, at least, if you're not daunted by long books. Or rather, three or four books of normal length, as full translations typically break it up into volumes. Oddly enough, I read it before I was aware there were any TV shows about it, and while reading thought, "this would make a really good TV show."

Some day I'll probably get the show of DVD, so I can watch all of it. It's pretty much one of the awesomest things ever, just like its theme song. "I'm the greatest, will you demons never understand? I love to fiiiight!" I'm also gonna have to see that Gorillaz thing too.

Manga Shoggoth
2007-09-27, 06:05 AM
The full version of the story is worth reading as well, at least, if you're not daunted by long books. Or rather, three or four books of normal length, as full translations typically break it up into volumes. Oddly enough, I read it before I was aware there were any TV shows about it, and while reading thought, "this would make a really good TV show."

There is a very good abridgement by Arthur Waley that is only one volume (Monkey: A Folk-Tale of China).

The full 100-chapter/4 volume translation is a bit heavier - it really is for masochists or enthusiasts only.

PlatinumJester
2007-09-27, 02:20 PM
I'm both so the book sounds great. Do they sell it at borders?

Manga Shoggoth
2007-10-01, 04:42 PM
I'm both so the book sounds great. Do they sell it at borders?

They should do, although I had to get the 4-volume set by special order. If you have any problems PM me and I'll try and get the ISBN numbers for you.