PDA

View Full Version : Feat or ASI for a dual-wielding Barabarian

TheCleverGuy
2019-02-11, 07:18 AM
Building a character for a one-shot this weekend, starting at level 5. Settled on a Half-Orc Zealot Barbarian using the Pirate background. But I can't decide what to do with my level 4 ASI.

Current stats (point-buy) are STR 16, DEX 14, CON 16, INT 8, WIS 8, CHA 12. I want to dual wield, though I know my damage with off-hand strikes won't use my STR bonus. My question is, should I pick up the Dual Wielder feat at level 4, or bump up my stats more?

Thanks!

DeTess
2019-02-11, 07:23 AM
Building a character for a one-shot this weekend, starting at level 5. Settled on a Half-Orc Zealot Barbarian using the Pirate background. But I can't decide what to do with my level 4 ASI.

Current stats (point-buy) are STR 16, DEX 14, CON 16, INT 8, WIS 8, CHA 12. I want to dual wield, though I know my damage with off-hand strikes won't use my STR bonus. My question is, should I pick up the Dual Wielder feat at level 4, or bump up my stats more?

Thanks!

Your obvious stat bumps would be CON and STR. Bumping STR gives you +1 to hit and +1 damage with your mainhand. Bumping CON gives you +1 AC and +5HP. Both also give you a bonus on their relevant saves and skills.

The Dual wielder feat gives you +1 AC, and on average +1 damage with both weapons (as you no longer have to use light weapons), and no bonuses to anything else.

Taking the feat seems to be the more rounded option, giving you both offense and defense, but it doesn't boost any saves, and doesn't give you any bonuses on skills.

PeteNutButter
2019-02-11, 08:36 AM
Str boost is probably best for you mathematically, as long as you plan on dipping fighter for fighting style. I'd do that at 6th level.

If your DM does random/pre-set loot and you're likely to find 1-handed weapons that aren't light that pushes towards taking the feat. It's worth noting that sadly Polearm Master is just better from an optimization standpoint. Yeah, it frustrates me too.

Zanthy1
2019-02-11, 09:20 AM
Assuming you aren't multiclassing a 1 level dip, and won't be leveling up during the session, then I would go with the feat. It combines the the aspects gained from bumping the skills, but in a really cool way that you might not get a chance to do all the time.

strangebloke
2019-02-11, 09:31 AM
Str boost is probably best for you mathematically, as long as you plan on dipping fighter for fighting style. I'd do that at 6th level.

If your DM does random/pre-set loot and you're likely to find 1-handed weapons that aren't light that pushes towards taking the feat. It's worth noting that sadly Polearm Master is just better from an optimization standpoint. Yeah, it frustrates me too.

Duel-Wielder isn't an awful feat. It's nearly on par with an ASI for pure damage, but it also offers a lot of flexibility while using the TWF style. You can use weapons like longswords, which are more commonly magical, but you can also use things like whips or nets. You can also throw two weapons in a round, which is useful for a variety of reasons.

To OP, you could also consider a number of various other feats, like mobile or magic initiate:druid, or ritual caster or any number of other options which would help round out your character.

MThurston
2019-02-11, 09:33 AM
I would go 10 Wis and 10 Cha.

I would take the Dual Weapon Feat. At 5th level I would take Fighter and pick up the off hand damage modifier. It would also give you a second wind.

Throne12
2019-02-11, 10:01 AM
Your obvious stat bumps would be CON and STR. Bumping STR gives you +1 to hit and +1 damage with your mainhand. Bumping CON gives you +1 AC and +5HP. Both also give you a bonus on their relevant saves and skills.

The Dual wielder feat gives you +1 AC, and on average +1 damage with both weapons (as you no longer have to use light weapons), and no bonuses to anything else.

Taking the feat seems to be the more rounded option, giving you both offense and defense, but it doesn't boost any saves, and doesn't give you any bonuses on skills.

He would still get his rage bonuses damage on the off hand too

DeTess
2019-02-11, 10:08 AM
He would still get his rage bonuses damage on the off hand too

But that doesn't really factor into whether an ASI or dual wielder is better, as he gets that bonus anyway, right?

CTurbo
2019-02-11, 10:40 AM
You can never go wrong bumping Str on a Barb, but yeah the Dual Wielder feat is great on a Barb too. Flip a coin if you're having a hard time deciding. Personally I think I would take the Str bump. I have played a dual battleaxe wielding Barb with the feat, but I had the fortune of starting with an 18 Str so taking the feat was an easier choice for me. I did NOT ever multiclass for the TWF, but it's not a bad idea to do if you want.

Skylivedk
2019-02-11, 01:45 PM
I would go 10 Wis and 10 Cha.

I would take the Dual Weapon Feat. At 5th level I would take Fighter and pick up the off hand damage modifier. It would also give you a second wind.

Rather than Extra Attack?? But why?

3d8+6 (19,5) > 2d8+6 (15) - without rage
3d8+6+6+1d6+3 (32) > 2d8+6+4+1d6+3 (25,5) - with rage

It makes no sense from a damage point of view to go fighter before you get Extra Attack and honestly, second wind is not good enough to offset the difference (6,5 hp pr short rest for a Bonus Action). I would highly discourage that choice. It seems a lot worse, less fun and doesn't open a door you can't get another way. Remember Action Surge doesn't work on Bonus Actions so for it to be good, you want Extra Attack anyway.

PAM and GWM are both probably better by the way... The ASI is also, in most cases, more damage once you figure in to hit. Of course it has the downside of not allowing you to draw two weapon at the same time. The AC part is a bit less important than on other martials because you're tankiness is more reliant on damage resistance than great AC.

GlenSmash!
2019-02-11, 02:23 PM
I would stick with hand axes and Max Strength first. being able to throw in a pinch is very useful in situations where you would otherwise lose Rage.

With Strength Maxed, or after finding an awesome non-light weapon or two, I would get the feat.

RSP
2019-02-11, 03:20 PM
It’s a one-shot, right? Do you want your raging Barbarian wielding two battleaxes or two hand axes?

Since this character doesn’t need to worry about progressing, go with the option that gives you what you want to play and don’t worry about optimizing.

stoutstien
2019-02-11, 03:22 PM
I would stick with hand axes and Max Strength first. being able to throw in a pinch is very useful in situations where you would otherwise loose Rage.

With Strength Maxed, or after finding an awesome non-light weapon or two, I would get the feat.
2nd this. +2 str is going to add more than the feat in over all impact.

TheCleverGuy
2019-02-11, 06:57 PM
Thanks for the advice everyone. I decided to go with the feat. The battleaxe is versatile, so i can swing it two-handed on the turn i start my Rage, then draw the second axe to get the AC bonus. I also bought some javelins for a ranged option.

MThurston
2019-02-12, 09:11 AM
Didn't see the second attack at 5th for some strange reason.