PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Help and feedback for 1st homwbrew: Divine spellcaster rogue & fey sorcerer

Iampower
2019-02-11, 08:29 AM
Hi i am new to dnd and to this forum. 4 sessions with my group(i am dm) and 3rd on our first campaign. Two wanted something not quite available in RAW. We couldnt quite find something that was satisfying enough either so i looked through the stuff we found and made these. Some input and tips from more experienced eyes would be greatly appreciated.
Appologies in advanced for long post.

Divine spellcaster rogue - pc is part of a holy order of rogues, while brother was from the paladin sister order. Brother is now othbreaker and pc's mission is to bring him to justice. I tried to be as thematic as i could.

Divine Shadow
Spellcasting

Cantrips

You learn three cantrips:*Guidance*and two other cantrips of your choice from the*cleric spell list. At 10th level you learn another cantrip from the cleric spell list.

Spell Slots

The Divine Shadow Spellcasting table shows how many spell slots you have to cast your cleric spells of 1st level and higher. To cast one of these spells, you must expend a slot of the spell's level or higher. You regain all expended spell slots when you finish a long rest.

You start with two 1st-level spell slots at Rogue level 3, and gain more as you gain more Rogue levels.

Spells Known

You know three 1st-level cleric spells of your choice. One of which can be from the Trickery Domain's 1st cleric level spells.

The Spells Known column of the Divine Shadow Spellcasting table shows when you learn more cleric spells of 1st level or higher. Each of these spells must be of a level for which you have spell slots. For instance, when you reach 7th level in this class, you can learn one new spell of 1st or 2nd level.

The spells you learn at 8th, 14th, and 20th level can come from the Trickery Domain spells. These spells count as cleric spells for you, even if they are not found in the cleric spell list.

Whenever you gain a level in this class, you can replace one of the cleric spells you know with another spell of your choice from the cleric spell list. If you are replacing a spell you gained at 8th, 14th, or 20th level, you can replace it with a spell from the Trickery Domain spells. The new spell must be of a level for which you have spell slots.

Spellcasting Ability

Wisdom is your spellcasting ability for your cleric spells. You use your Wisdom whenever a spell refers to your spellcasting ability. In addition, you use your Wisdom modifier when setting the saving throw DC for a cleric spell you cast and when making an attack roll with one.

Spell save DC*= 8 + your proficiency bonus + your Wisdom modifier

Spell attack modifier*= your proficiency bonus + your Wisdom modifier

Divine Guidance
At 3rd level, you gain proficiency in one skill of your choice from Deception, Insight, or Religion. If you are already proficient in any of the three, you can choose instead to have Expertise in one of the three that you are proficient but do not already have expertise in.
Additionally, when you cast Guidance on yourself, you can add the d4 from the spell to your next attack roll. At level 13, your Guidance cantrip provides an additional d4. You can spend the die seperately before the spell ends.

Divine Shroud
At 9th level, you learn Invisibility as a cleric spell and can cast it on yourself once using this feature without expending a spell slot or maintain concentration. You regain the ability to cast it this way at the end of a long rest.
At level 17, you can choose to cast Invisibility using this feature to a creature other than yourself.

Greater Guidance
At level 13, when you trigger a sneak attack you can add the dice from your Guidance to the damage roll. When you do, you can choose to have your sneak attack and Guidance dice to deal radiant or necrotic damage (your choice) to the target instead of the normal damage type of the weapon.

Divine Shadow
At level 17, when you cast Invisibility on yourself using your Divine Shroud feature, you cast Greater Invisibility as a cleric spell instead.

Fey sorcerer - old pc died so we made a new one. Wild magic was my 1st suggestion but player wanted something more clearly FEY. A lot was player's idea.

Fey Tongue
You can speak, read, and write Sylvan. Additionally, you gain proficiency in Nature and your choice of Persuasion or Deception.

Fey Magic
You have an affinity for the magic the fey are known for. When your Spellcasting feature lets you learn a sorcerer cantrip or a sorcerer spell of 1st level or higher, you can choose the new spell from the druid spell list or the sorcerer spell list. You must otherwise obey all the restrictions for selecting the spell, and it becomes a sorcerer spell for you.
Additionally, you know two cantrips of your choice from druidcraft, friends, and minor illusion cantrips. These are considered as sorcerer cantrips and do not count against your known cantrips.

Fey Charm
Starting at 6th level, the otherworldly presence of the fey begins to surround you like a heavy cloak. When a creature within 60 feet of you that you can see and is aware of you makes an attack roll, saving throw, or ability check, you can use your reaction and spend 1 sorcery point to focus your enchanting presence and impose a disadvantage on the roll. If the creature succeeds or hits its attack, save, or check, the creature becomes immune to this feature for 24 hours. Constructs, fey, undead, and creatures that are immune to being charmed are immune to Fey Charm.

Gift of Nature
At level 14, you can spend your short rest by meditating within 10 feet of a healthy tree that is at least gargantuan in size or older than you by 20 years to regain 1d4-1 of expended sorcery points. You can do this once between long rests and gain an additional use at 17th level.
When you roll hit die to recover hit points while using this feature, you gain an additional number of hit points equal to the amount of sorcery points you recovered with this feature multiplied by the number of sorcerer hit die you rolled. If these additional hit points would give you more than your hit point maximum, you gain the remaining as temporary hit points.

Half-Fey
Beginning at 18th level, you become as much a native denizen of the feywilds as the material plane. You gain the Fey creature type alongside any of your existing types. You are considered both Fey and your original creature types for the purpose of determining spell and feature effects.
You are immune to the poisoned condition and resistant to poison damage. You cannot be charmed and magic cannot put you to sleep. You do not age, and can't be aged magically.
Additionally, as an action, you can spend at least 5 sorcery points to give yourself advantage on your next number of Saving Throws against spells and other magical effects equal to three plus one for every two sorcery points spent beyond 5. Any remaining advantage will disappear after 2 hours or at the end of a long rest. You regain use of this feature at the end of a long rest.

Im not sure how balanced these are exactly and im a bit worried about making our 1st campaign fail weather in game or out.

Ninja_Prawn
2019-02-12, 08:34 AM
For a new homebrewer, these aren't bad. I can see you're sticking close to the patterns laid out in the PHB, which is wise.

My only serious concern here would be the cost of Fey Charm. It's broadly analogous to the Heightened Spell metamagic, which costs 3 times as many SP, plus the opportunity cost of being one of your metamagic picks.

Iampower
2019-02-12, 08:59 AM
Hhhm, i hadn't realized that. I was inspired by the bard's cutting words and wanted something similar. How about a reflavouring of instinctive charm from enchantment wizard? But replacing the long rest limit to charisma modifier and 1sp? Moon druid gets something similar at 10th level too.

clash
2019-02-12, 10:07 AM
The only real issue with fey charm is the disadvantage on enemy saves (which cutting words doesnt affect for a reason). The rest you could keep at that cost.

Iampower
2019-02-12, 03:50 PM
Thanks for the tips. We'll try the changes and see how it goes

Iampower
2019-03-11, 08:47 PM
Hello again. Something came up and we needed a clarification in the sorcerer feature.

Looking at the rules for spending hit die, i decided to chamge the wording to fit what i intended.

Gift of Nature
At level 14, you can spend your short rest by meditating within 10 feet of a healthy tree that is at least gargantuan in size or older than you by 20 years to regain 1d4-1 of expended sorcery points. You can do this once between long rests and gain an additional use at 17th level.
When you roll hit die to recover hit points while using this feature, you gain temporary hit points equal to the amount of sorcery points you recovered with this feature with each sorcerer hit die you roll.

Looking through the short rest rules i realized that it would only give temp hit points from your last roll and essentially allow you to recover hit points with fewer die since you roll hd one after the other until you are fully healed. I intended for the feature to gain any and/or all the additional hp from the feature. So adding actual hit points will add at most 13 temp hp (6 on hd roll+5con+3from feature-1missing hp). While adding the additional as temp hp could get you at most 3 per sorcerer level which could get a level 20 sorcorer 20-60 temp hit points.

The latter was my original intention. Is this too much or would it not make much of a difference anyway?

Edit: so with the first case(changed to conform with short rest rules) it would add 1-3 temp hp regardless of level. In the second case it would add 1-3 temp hp times how many dice you used which could put it to 20-60 for a 20 level character.

Is this too much? Im not sure and it doesnt seem like it would come up too often. Ill just use this for now and see what happens