PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next New Rules for Parasites

Deviston
2019-02-11, 08:37 AM
Hey folks!

Working on a project for making parasites in 5E. Tell me what you think about the below if you please.

Parasites v1.2
Parasites function in many ways like diseases. Those that carry the parasites normally have a method of conveying the infestation to others, frequently by a claw, bite, or other natural attack. Only natural piercing and slashing attacks can convey parasites i.e. a monk's unarmed strike would not. Parasites always convey disadvantage to a type of save or Ability checks on skills, grant their potential host an initial save against becoming infected, and at least two subsequent saves to fight off the infestation to keep from becoming a carrier. Parasites are considered diseases for the purposes of resistances, immunities, and Wisdom (Medicine) checks, but usually have an additional treatment method. Failing the first save make the person a host. Failing all allowed subsequent saves against a parasite results in the host becoming a carrier. As a carrier, you only suffer the negative effects from the parasite periodically. If the host or carrier has a qualifying natural attack, this attack can convey the parasites onto those they attack. If the host does not have a natural attack, the parasites are conveyed to those who partake of their blood, flesh, or other similar situations. Additionally, bite attacks agaisnt a host or carrier will convey the parasites to the attacker. A successful save against a parasite makes you immune to further chances of infection from that type of parasite for one week.

Sample Parasites
The following is a sample parasite that would work well in most game settings:
Gerin mites gnaw at the outer layer of skin and cause mottled sections to appear. Disadvantage on Charisma (Persuasion) and Charisma (Performance) checks, DC 12 Constitution save to avoid being infected and becoming a host, if a host a DC 14 Constitution save every day for two days to avoid becoming a carrier, if a carrier suffer negative effects once every seven days. Gerin mites can also be cured by ten hours submerged in ice water or if the host or carrier takes ten points of cold damage.

Changelog
v1.2: Specified piercing and slashing natural attacks convey parasites. Specified parasites function as diseases for the purposes of immunities, resistances, etc. Removed "biting an infected individual" gives parasites tot eh biter. Added additional curing method for parasites specifically themed to the parasite (an ongoing plan).

DeTess
2019-02-11, 09:16 AM
Is there any particular reason you want parasites to be a different subsystem from diseaes, rather than just being diseases with slightly different causes?

Edit: the reason I'm bringing this up is that right now, you'd also have to establish what cures parasites, what creatures are and which features make you immune or resistant to them, etc.

JeenLeen
2019-02-11, 09:56 AM
The fact that bite attacks done against a carrier allow the biter to be infected seems bad, since that penalizes the PC who somehow has a bite or other natural attack compared to those using weapons. It might be rather fitting, but it seems to carry a detriment only for PCs that probably aren't that optimized to begin with.

If needed: Maybe add a caveat that monks using their monk class features do not count as using a natural attack for this purpose? (I'm not very familiar with Monk in 5e, so maybe such language isn't needed.)

Other than that, it seems a neat subsystem. Mechanically (and magically), I'd recommend have it work as disease, so Remove Disease or similar abilities also cleanse from parasites. Also probably some way that rest and a Medicine check can do it.

Deviston
2019-02-11, 12:19 PM
Is there any particular reason you want parasites to be a different subsystem from diseaes, rather than just being diseases with slightly different causes?

Edit: the reason I'm bringing this up is that right now, you'd also have to establish what cures parasites, what creatures are and which features make you immune or resistant to them, etc.

Hey Randuir, thanks for the response. Yes there's a reason. It will segue into two more systems, one being "aberrant parasites" (special critters that evolved to be especially effective against aberrations) which then are modified to become.... symbionts. With a subsystem for parasites, it allows a little more play on the project. It also provides some in system specific rules for parasites. One rule that will exist is the requirement of an aberrant parasite to make a symbiont. It's a whole thing. However, I think you and JeenLeen have a point about immune/resist/healing etc. Simplification could be just to make them count as diseases for those things.

...It might be rather fitting, but it seems to carry a detriment only for PCs that probably aren't that optimized to begin with... Monks natural attack .... Medicine checks...

Points made. I've made a few changes, thoughts?

Parasites
Parasites function in many ways like diseases. Those that carry the parasites normally have a method of conveying the infestation to others, frequently by a claw, bite, or other natural attack. Only natural piercing and slashing attacks can convey parasites i.e. a monk's unarmed strike would not. Parasites always convey disadvantage to a type of save or Ability checks on skills, grant their potential host an initial save against becoming infected, and at least two subsequent saves to fight off the infestation to keep from becoming a carrier. Parasites are considered diseases for the purposes of resistances, immunities, and Wisdom (Medicine) checks, but usually have an additional treatment method. Failing the first save make the person a host. Failing all allowed subsequent saves against a parasite results in the host becoming a carrier. As a carrier, you only suffer the negative effects from the parasite periodically. If the host or carrier has a qualifying natural attack, this attack can convey the parasites onto those they attack. If the host does not have a natural attack, the parasites are conveyed to those who partake of their blood, flesh, or other similar situations. A successful save against a parasite makes you immune to further chances of infection from that type of parasite for one week.

Sample Parasites
The following is a sample parasite that would work well in most game settings:
Gerin mites gnaw at the outer layer of skin and cause mottled sections to appear. Disadvantage on Charisma (Persuasion) and Charisma (Performance) checks, DC 12 Constitution save to avoid being infected and becoming a host, if a host a DC 14 Constitution save every day for two days to avoid becoming a carrier, if a carrier suffer negative effects once every seven days. Gerin mites can also be cured by ten hours submerged in ice water or if the host or carrier takes ten points of cold damage.

Deviston
2019-02-14, 06:32 AM
bumpaliciousness

Deviston
2019-02-18, 06:47 AM
Silence is acceptance! Thanks for the assist folks :)

patrickborrelli
2019-02-21, 12:04 PM
I like the idea of parasites, and I think they should be separate from diseases. Adds another layer of realism to travel in the wild...parasites are a big factor in natural exploration.

Deviston
2019-04-04, 02:29 PM
Thanks for all the assistance here, this content is now published in our 5E version of Aberrant Codex: Aberrant Allies (https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/270307/Aberrant-Codex-Aberrant-Allies-5E)!