PDA

View Full Version : Feat pick for beast master ranger.

Throne12
2019-02-11, 09:48 AM
I'm playing a beast master ranger he's a half orc 3rd lv and pet is a guard drake.

Stats are
Str:18
Dex:12
Con:15
Wis:18
Int:10
Cha:8

Fighting style defense +1AC

Now we get a free feat at lv1 but I dont know what to pick for my half orc ranger. Also my drake get a feat to I was thinking grappling but I also want hear what yall would pick.

Naanomi
2019-02-11, 10:01 AM
First, bears master sounds like a powerful subclass

Second, you appear to have so many houserules and modifications in place already that I am hesitant to give general advice... perhaps just Heavy Armor Proficiency to shore up hour relatively bad AC?

CTurbo
2019-02-11, 10:47 AM
What's your main weapon attack? A feat boosting offense would be great. As mentioned above, Heavily Armored would be a huge boost to AC if you could get into Plate. Alert, Mobile, Lucky, Magic Initiate, and Ritual Caster are always good for any character. It's hard to give suggestions knowing so little about your character. +2 to Str would be good as well.

For the Drake, I think Mobile, Alert, or Tough would be great. Charger or Sentinel may be good picks too.

Actually I think either you or your Drake should have Sentinel at some point.

Throne12
2019-02-11, 12:16 PM
What's your main weapon attack? A feat boosting offense would be great. As mentioned above, Heavily Armored would be a huge boost to AC if you could get into Plate. Alert, Mobile, Lucky, Magic Initiate, and Ritual Caster are always good for any character. It's hard to give suggestions knowing so little about your character. +2 to Str would be good as well.

For the Drake, I think Mobile, Alert, or Tough would be great. Charger or Sentinel may be good picks too.

Actually I think either you or your Drake should have Sentinel at some point.

I don't have a main weapon picked out yet.

CTurbo
2019-02-11, 12:26 PM
I don't have a main weapon picked out yet.

Well deciding on that could help you choose a feat. Big two handed weapon? GWM. Polearm Master if you like that route? Dual Wielder isn't terrible if you want to use two 1d8 weapons +1 AC.

nickl_2000
2019-02-11, 12:41 PM
Both you and the Drake should pick Sentinel, then no matter who is attacked one of you makes the attacker pay for it.

Alternately the Drake can get mobile to be able to zip in and out of combat. MI: Cleric on the Drake would be great fun for Guidance, Thaumaturgy/Spare the Dying, and Bless/Healing Word

Throne12
2019-02-11, 12:44 PM
Well deciding on that could help you choose a feat. Big two handed weapon? GWM. Polearm Master if you like that route? Dual Wielder isn't terrible if you want to use two 1d8 weapons +1 AC.

I don't want a weapon feat. The rest of the party is barbarian, assassin rogue, Whispers bard, kensi str Monk he has str+con for ac. I have no idea about the barbarian I heard something about a samurai Minatar.

So we have alot of damage plus I have a guard drake. So I want a useful feat that's not based solely for combat.

nickl_2000
2019-02-11, 12:46 PM
So I want a useful feat that's not based solely for combat.

It would be hard to go wrong with Resilient Con for this character. Putting you con to an even number and get proficiency at the same time?

If you want more utility the Magic Initiate or Ritual Caster would give you quite a bit of out of combat utility for a relatively low price.

NaughtyTiger
2019-02-11, 01:21 PM
Both you and the Drake should pick Sentinel, then no matter who is attacked one of you makes the attacker pay for it.

No, sentinel explicitly shuts that down.

3nd bullet

When a creature within 5 feet of you makes an attack against a target other than you (and that target doesn't have this feat), you can use your reaction to make a melee weapon attack against the attacking creature.

means if both have it, then it won't trigger for either of them.

CTurbo
2019-02-11, 06:37 PM
I don't want a weapon feat. The rest of the party is barbarian, assassin rogue, Whispers bard, kensi str Monk he has str+con for ac. I have no idea about the barbarian I heard something about a samurai Minatar.

So we have alot of damage plus I have a guard drake. So I want a useful feat that's not based solely for combat.

Then Mobile, Alert, Lucky, Ritual Caster, Magic Initiate, Sentinel, or Heavily Armored would be my picks for the Ranger

Mobile, Alert, Sentinel, Charger, or Tough would be my picks for the Drake

djreynolds
2019-02-11, 07:41 PM
See here is where a tandem can get a lot out of the protection style for a dip in fighter.

I could human prodigy, as half orcs qualify, and expertise in athletics and shove the enemy prone for the drake. At 5th level you trip them prone and attack. With two hand axes, you could knock prone attack and off hand attack, and the drake can hammer them down.

Also, with that wisdom, a dip of some war cleric would be sweet. Get heavy armor that way and some good spells.