PDA

View Full Version : Character quest:altered gate spell

Bahamut7
2019-02-11, 05:55 PM
Quick background information. 500 years prior a Great War broke out and all Dragons were killed in the conflict, including Bahamut and Tiamat. Player is a Dragonborn that wishes to bring Bahamut back. Player through a VERY lucky roll acquired a Gate scroll and wishes to use it as a base to bring Bahamut back.

I, as the DM, admire the creative use and have told the Sorcerer that he will need to do a lot of arcane research in game to alter the Gate spell scroll to bring back a God from the dead. Obviously, he needs to figure out the lore of where a God goes when it dies. I have chosen the remains to be in the astral sea slowly being eroded away.

As for the rest, I am not sure. I know that Necromancy needs to be researched as well as altering a conjuration spell, but haven't fully figured out one way or the other for the rest.

Do note: I intend to maintain balance and have both Bahamut and Tiamat ressurrected upon a success and if the ritual goes a little wrong, I may swap the players over into the Rise of Tiamat supplement for that part.

You conjure a portal linking an unoccupied space you can see within range to a precise location on a different plane of existence. The portal is a circular opening, which you can make 5 to 20 feet in diameter. You can orient the portal in any direction you choose. The portal lasts for the Duration.

The portal has a front and a back on each plane where it appears. Travel through the portal is possible only by moving through its front. Anything that does so is instantly transported to the other plane, appearing in the unoccupied space nearest to the portal.

Deities and other planar rulers can prevent portals created by this spell from opening in their presence or anywhere within their domains.

When you cast this spell, you can speak the name of a specific creature (a pseudonym, title, or nickname doesn't work). If that creature is on a plane other than the one you are on, the portal opens in the named creature's immediate vicinity and draws the creature through it to the nearest unoccupied space on your side of the portal. You gain no Special power over the creature, and it is free to act as the DM deems appropriate. It might leave, Attack you, or help you.

With all that said, how else should I go about to make this possible for the player?

Any thoughts, advice, etc. appreciated.