PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone produce module-specific miniatures collections?

Imbalance
2019-02-11, 07:15 PM
What I mean is, for example: what if a deluxe version of LMoP was sold complete with a full compliment of figures of goblins, bugbears, bandits, boss characters, generic starter PC's, etc. as well as battlemaps of all of the intended locations? My searches have been fruitless, but maybe I missed something.

Just curious. Is there even demand for such a thing? Or is it that rpg mini collecting is such a niche combined with the way that avid collectors tend to amass their collections piecemeal that limits the viability of a "full set" offering? I'm sure price is a factor to some extent (for reasons still alien to me, certain war game figures are exponentially more expensive than those for rpgs, which are in turn many times more costly than certain comicbook-themed collectible game pieces, despite all being relatively similar in size, material, and quality, but I digress).

Would you buy it? How about the cast of Tyranny? Any figure of Tiamat (or anything resembling a five-headed dragon, really) seems to be a hot commodity, but would she sell as part of a large bundle along with her minions and cultists?

Instead of the expansive modules that exist, does anyone feel like a few all-inclusive one-shot campaigns would be cool? Something on the order of a Yawning Portal tale seems like something I'd consider for purchase despite already having hordes of minis at my disposal. Mostly, I'd prefer some other options besides exorbitantly priced singles or blind boosters.

Just me?

Griswold
2019-02-11, 08:17 PM
Is there even demand for such a thing?Just me?

Yes, there definitely is. Despite what I'd consider a ridiculous pricetag ($500), it looks like the Platinum Edition of Waterdeep Dragon Heist has gotten plenty of takers. Its currently sold out. It's got minis, extra maps of the city and battle maps, feelies (there's a couple of dragon coins, pins for all the factions, in-game documents), and a bunch of extra artwork. There's also some bonus side quest adventures.

https://www.beadleandgrimms.com/platinum-edition/

Bel-Torac
2019-02-12, 08:29 AM
Whenever a hardcover comes out they sell booster packs with random minis for the game. You don't know what you're getting, but if you go on ebay you can buy the figures individually.

ad_hoc
2019-02-12, 08:39 AM
Whenever a hardcover comes out they sell booster packs with random minis for the game. You don't know what you're getting, but if you go on ebay you can buy the figures individually.

Usually if you buy a case you have a guarantee of at least 1 of each figure.

At least that is how it was.

tieren
2019-02-12, 08:49 AM
I was in my FLGS yesterday and saw some D&D board games that resembled what you are talking about. I was looking at one for Castle Ravenloft but they had a couple others.

guachi
2019-02-12, 01:38 PM
Gamemash . com has tokens for the early 5e adventures - Lost Mines, Rise, Hoard, Princes, Abyss, Strahd but no updates since then, unfortunately.

You can probably find something close enough for other adventures. I've never used them for one of the 5e hardcover adventures but I use them for all my other adventures. I backed the Kickstarter and have a lot of tokens already. The tokens are really nice and much cheaper than miniatures.

some guy
2019-02-12, 02:01 PM
Pathfinder does this with their pawn collections. If there is a demand for pathfinder module collections, I would guess there is also a demand for dnd modules.
Mind you, those pawns are also way cheaper than miniatures.

Trashmob Minis also has specific cultists and elementals for Princes of the Apocalypse and specific (undead) dino's and others for Tomb of Annihilation.

I guess specific paper mini's are just easier to sell than miniatures.

(I do love Trashmob Minis, though. Clear visuals, high contrast. Just like Rich Burlew's paper minis, which are very easy (and fun!) to mod for specific campaigns.