PDA

View Full Version : Remnants of Cyre <Team One>

Pages : [1] 2 3

Kyeudo
2007-09-26, 02:55 PM
It's the third day of Syphros (mid autum for those who don't have the ECS), and the city of Darthun is in an unusualy festive mood. It's two days before the Festival of Moons, a night of costume balls, parties, and other revelry. The Festival continues dispite the War, and decorations of all sorts can be seen everywhere. Wreaths of autum leaves decorate many a door and everywhere russet-colored streamers dance in the wind.

The news from the front is also heatening. The fighting has died down along the north and west, while recent victories in the south over the traitorous hobgoblins and Valenar elves have bolstered morale. The atmosphere of merriment could not even be spoiled by the strange events earlier today. A blinding flash of vivid purple light washed across the sky shortly after noon, followed by a small earthquake. The quake caused little damage, although the jewler's shop down the street was robbed in the confusion. The city watch put more guards on patrol and things returned to normal, back to preparing for the festivities and making the rounds of all the pre-Festival parties.

The city is full of travelers, most come to enjoy the planned celebration dispite, or perhaps because of, the War. It was difficult to find an inn to stay at, but you managed to find a room at the King's Regent, a fairly large inn towards the city center. The price seemed a little high for a simple room, but at least its a warm bed and the food is good, much better to the trail rations you've had to eat while on the road.

The common room is packed with people tonight, some travelers like yourself, others simple townsfolk out for a pint after a day's work. There's a racous dice game going on over at the bar and over towards the great fireplace there's a game of three dragon ante being played, and judging by the cursing coming from that table alot of money just changed hands.

A cold draft washes over your table near the front door as a guardsman, still in his chainmail and tabard, walks in and heads over to the bar, where he orders himself a drink before making his way to a vacant seat at a table across the room, where several other guardsmen are swapping stories of the day.

Several others share the table with you for the evenening meal, fellow travelers from all across Cyre. Some are just passing through, some are soldiers back on leave from the front, and others are just here for the upcoming festival.

Gronth Gaar - Human Barbarian - Gannon11 (http://www.playrpgonline.net/3eprofiler/view.php?id=1525)
Fetch - Warforged Warmage - CockroachTeaParty (http://www.dndonlinegames.com/view.php?id=60122)
Jacinth d'Cannith - Human Artificer - Randel (http://www.thetangledweb.net/addon.php?addon=Profiler&page=view_char&cid=628)
Reshmar - Half-Orc Druid (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheets/view.php?id=28807)
Templar - Warforged Knight - EvilRoeSlade (http://www.thetangledweb.net/ttw/addon.php?addon=Profiler&page=view_char&cid=632)
Kalinar d'Cannith - Human Shadowcaster - Lochar (http://www.coyotecode.net/profiler/view.php?id=1342)
Hector Kalil - Illumian Cleric - Theterran (http://pifro.com/pro/view.php?id=54)

Ganon11
2007-09-26, 03:34 PM
Another mug of ale found its way to Gronth's mouth, as he chugged his third of the night. Setting it down, he belched loudly, then continued telling the grand tale of the orc invasion of his tribe.

Of course, he continued, I wouldn't let my village go defenseless. So I grabbed my father's waraxe - this very axe here. He patted the handle of his hefty blade beside him as he continued, a toothy grin coming to his face as he recalled the bloody day that had earned him his place among the guard. I could barely heft it with my then-puny arms, but I still went out to meet the horde that faced us. Gronth sat back, contented, as he finished lamely, That day I slew at least 3 orcs alone, before the cowards were driven back.

Never mind the fact that the axe he had used was another man's, and considerably lighter at that - never mind the fact that 2 of his kills were actually someone else saving him from an orc rather than Gronth actually killing the orc. The battle had indeed put him in the guard, and the axe he held now was indeed his father's - and he could use it, now, so what did it matter?

Lochar
2007-09-26, 05:01 PM
A man in dark clothing sits quietly, sipping on an ale as he watches the festivities around him. He smiles occasionally and nods to people he knows, but doesn't say much. His back is against one of the tavern walls.

Occasionally he looks to the shadows in the corners of the room, but seeing nothing he goes back to slowly sipping his drink.

A good night, I think. And the festivities in the next few days should brighten everyone's mood, along with the news from the fronts.

He frowns when the guardsman comes in, but quickly covers it again. Must have just gotten off his shift.

Randel
2007-09-26, 08:49 PM
Jacinth sat in a corner of the large common room on one of the less occupied tables, the many pockets on his outfit filled with various bits of string, cloth and metal he had collected from various places. Probably should throw them out but he's absolutely certain he will get in a situation where three inches of purple yarn would be absolutely perfect to have.

He only arrived here this morning and hasn't even unpacked the stuff from his bag upstairs. Hopefully it wouldn't be until after the festival that he has to move out again.

He finishes the food on his plate and after a minute or two of pondering how he might be able to magically enchant it to refill itself, he gives in and gets up for another helping.

"I suppose I could make a plate that could cook... but then I would need someone to teach me how to cook in the first place."

While he's up he looks around the room for a familiar face.

Lochar
2007-09-26, 09:06 PM
The man watching the room notices Jacinth walking up to the bar. I know him, now what was his name? Jeremy, Joseph, oh bother it all, I know it started with a J... Damn it, guess I'm going to have to ask him.

He walks up to the bar, tapping the man on the shoulder. "I'm Kalinar D'Cannith. Do me a favor, and remind me exactly where I remember you from? It's going to bother me all night now, unless I know." Kalinar gives him an easy grin, somewhat at odds with the almost morbidly dark colors he's wearing.

Randel
2007-09-26, 10:19 PM
The artificer blinks at he looks at the man dressed up in his black robes and smiles. "Hey, I know you. I think we met at the house festival last Eyre. You're still wearing black?" he looks at the the other for a second and then remembers the question.

"Oh, and I'm Jacinth d'Cannith. Just got assigned to the border to help keep a squad of warforged in shape and I'm just here until they are all gathered together. Hopefully it won't be till after the festival that I'm sent off with the group. So, what brings you here?"

Jacinth smiles as he talks with the familiar face, unlike Kalinar he's wearing an explorers outfit with loads of pockets, heavy leather boots and a scarf wrapped around his neck his studded leather armor makes him look a little bit bigger than he really is. As he talks, he moves to get his plate refilled.

CockroachTeaParty
2007-09-26, 11:41 PM
Just outside the entrance to the tavern, an ornately crafted warforged stands at attention, scanning the activity of the street outside. The construct is lightly armed, and appears out of place. Very few warforged serve as guards on the city watch: most of them are sent out to the frontlines, where they belong. That said, the few warforged on watch looked crude and efficient compared to the glistening mithral carapace of the sentry by the door. Perhaps it's some new decorative line of warforged, in time for the festival?
Most of the patrons going in and out of the tavern pass the warforged by as if it was a piece of furniture, or a statue. Some give it a nervous glance, but most people are too inebriated to even notice it.
The warforged dutifully scans the street, every once in a while glancing back inside the tavern. It thinks to itself as it stands.
These people seem so happy today. Maybe I am... overreacting. That earthquake earlier today... that flash of light. Was it a spell? Was it a battle? Why do I feel... fear? I guess if the humans think everything is fine, I have nothing to worry about. Still... This would be one of those times when the Commander would say "I need a drink."
The warforged looks over its shoulder at the bar, at the foamy glass mugs filled with alcohol.
What would it be like, to drink? The Commander did it all the time. Maybe it makes people less fearful? I would like some. No sense in dreaming, soldier. Guard the tavern. ...from who?
The construct returns its gaze to the street, and then glances up at the sky.
Something is... wrong.

EvilRoeSlade
2007-09-27, 12:11 AM
Stepping into a grassy clearing. I am calm. Waiting for the inevitable moment of judgement.

An immense warforged, nearly seven feet tall stands in the corner of the inn. It has plating styled in the fashion of plate mail, but unlike a human clad in armor, its movements are so flexible that one can tell there is no flesh underneath. Its visor doesn't seem to be movable, instead there is a wide slit out of which two glowing blue eyes peer.

Another aberrant memory of something that never occurred. I need to concentrate on the moment at hand, and perhaps this intereference will leave me.

His footsteps clank as he trundles over to the bar. Excuse me citizens. I have been charged by the Queen to assist in the aftermath of the earthquake. Is anyone in physical or emotional distress, or aware of such a person?

Lochar
2007-09-27, 06:04 AM
Kalinar looks at the warforged, then looks over the bar patrons. "If anyone is distressed, give them a few hours and they'll have forgotten what caused it."

He then looks to Jacinth. "Actually looking around here for a job of sorts. The house still wants me to figure out what this ability of mine can do. Not that I'm arguing with that, but still." Kalinar will pick up his mug of ale from his table before joining Jacinth at his.

EvilRoeSlade
2007-09-27, 10:51 AM
Templar

Templar stares at Kalinar long after the man is no longer paying attention to it. Determining what it's thinking is hardly possible. Eventually it returns to its shadowy corner, glowing eyes gleaming as it looks over the tavern.

Randel
2007-09-27, 02:18 PM
Jacinth loads his plate and his glass and returns to his table with Kalinar. His back to the wall, the artificer has a good look of the room and in particular he glances over to the corner where the armored warforged stands watching the room. He scoots his chair over a little so that Kalinar could put up a chair beside him and get a good view of the room as well, after working in a factory with lots of equipment and magical devices working at once he's gotten the motto that its always best to get a seat where you can see everything in case something starts to blow up.

"Funny thing, they build these rooms with walls and corners in them, I know its easy to build but I wonder if a circular room would be better... one with mirrors on the walls. That way there would be no dark corners and you could always see the whole room wherever you are."

The artificer ponders this and pulls out a little book from his pocket and starts scribbling diagrams on one of the pages, its about halfway full and there are many half-drawn diagrams and blueprints on the other pages.

He looks up at his companion and remembers what he had said. "Oh, your ability? What does it do so far?" He looks curious, not having remembered anything about any special abilities during their short acquaintance a few months ago. He wonders if he's referring to a new ability of the Mark of Making.

Lochar
2007-09-27, 02:35 PM
Kalinar takes a seat next to Jacinth, looking over the room again."But then the shadows would have no where to rest as well." He takes another sip of his ale.

"As for my 'ability,' I don't know if you remember, but I was apprenticed under Master Morridin for wizard training. Probably a month or so after we last met, my master and I were working on a spell that invoked the Plane of Shadow. I can't remember exactly what it was supposed to do, except that it didn't work the way we wanted it to. It killed him, and partially infused me with the magic of that plane." Kalinar touches his mug, and for a moment, the area around them dims to shadowy darkness before returning to it's normal brightness.

"I lost my wizard's magic that day, instead I seem to have a connection with shadow magic now. The house wants me to further investigate my own power, so they may know what all this magic does. I pray they don't force anyone to go down this path though, because I won't make that great of a teacher for those that would come after."

Fundamental: Black Candle used.

blue_fenix
2007-09-27, 03:13 PM
Rehsmar

A hulking humanoid clad in crudely crafted animal skins approaches the table where Gronth has just finished telling his tale, a tall quarterstaff in hand. His broad forehead and jutting lower jaw speak to an orcish heratige, as does his strangely gray skin. His eyes, however, are a shape and shade of green more suited to humans, and there is something both brutish and simultaneously serene about his visage.

"Friend," he addresses Gronth, "Or at least, I hope we could be friends. I want to apo-...aplog-, no, say I am sorry for what my brethren have done to yours. My mother was taken hostage in a raid upon a human tribe, very like the one you describe." He gestures to a distinctive swirling scar upon his left cheek. "I was marked by my tribe in their dark rituals, but now I have aband-... abenden-... left them. I am Reshmar, one of the Gatekeeper Druids, and I hope you may accept that not all who are born of orcs are so evil. May I sit with you? Perhaps we may share more stories of the Shadow Marches where we both grew up."

EvilRoeSlade
2007-09-27, 03:21 PM
Templar

The armored warforged's adamantine body clanks as it follows behind the staff-carrying orc. "Excuse me," it says in its calm and soothing voice. "I am here in order to better learn about other humanoids so that I can better relate to them. I find you to be particularly interesting and wish to be included in this conversation. Perhaps we can begin with both of you telling me your names, your interests, your goals, and who you are as a person?"

Kyeudo
2007-09-27, 03:45 PM
Fetch

Since your the only one outside the inn, make Spot and Listen checks please.
Keeping them in a spoiler would probably be advisable.

Randel
2007-09-27, 03:56 PM
Jacinth

"Shadow? Hmmm... I suppose you could make a lotion that protects people from bright light or sunburn... or glasses that immediatly darken when you look at something dangerous like those magic runes that blow up when you look at them." He thinks harder and makes some more notes. "Oh, oh! You could magically enchant an umbrella so that it covers whoever carries it in magical darkness. That way they would be protected from bright light and their identity could be hidden from people spying on them... though I suppose the umbrella itself would be visible. May have to work on that."

The artificer scribbles a few more ideas on shadow-based magic items before he looks up at the adamantine warforged as it tries to sit down with the barbarian and half-orc. "Hmmm... must be a prototype model. I've never seen one with that kind of design."

Lochar
2007-09-27, 04:02 PM
Kalinar looks over to where Jacinth is looking."Needs a few lessons on interpersonal relationships as well, but I guess it's trying now." He shrugs.

"I don't have the proper training myself to create magical items, and as I'm probably the only one with these abilities, your creations might be a long time in coming. It would be interesting to see what ideas you have though."

Ganon11
2007-09-27, 05:29 PM
Having finished listening to Gronth's tale, most of his 'captive audience' mumbled something about "great story..." and left. Gronth moved to take another drink from his mug, only to find it was empty. Hrmph...when did that happen? Deciding it might be time for a less powerful drink, Gronth was about to get about when the orcish man approached.

Remembering the too-frequent quarrels between orc tribes and his own, Gronth's first reaction was one of rage and disgust. This quickly quelled, though, as Gronth remembered where he was. This was the city, not the Shadow Marches, and he would have to watch his behavior. Besides, this one was not wholly orc...Internally nodding, he resumed paying attention to the stranger's explanation:

"...mother was taken hostage in a raid upon a human tribe, very like the one you describe. I was marked by my tribe in their dark rituals, but now I have aband-... abenden-... left them. I am Reshmar, one of the Gatekeeper Druids, and I hope you may accept that not all who are born of orcs are so evil. May I sit with you? Perhaps we may share more stories of the Shadow Marches where we both grew up."

As he listened to the half-orc, Gronth tightened his grip on the table, his rage again mounting. Only the half-orc's stammered apology kept the quick-tempered barbarian from beginning a bar fight. He could barely comprehend the meaning behind Reshmar's words...could barely understand the fact that Reshmar had left the orcs who had attacked his village.

Still gritting his teeth to bear the anger, he barked, "Go ahead and sit," motioning to the chair across the table. As to the conversation suggested, Gronth didn't speak a word.

"Excuse me."

Gronth looked up, almost glad to talk to someone other than this...this...enemy...and so turned around to face the speaker. What he saw, though, pleased him little better than the half-orc. It was one of those...those...things. Turning around hastily, Gronth did his best to ignore the warforged.

CockroachTeaParty
2007-09-27, 06:00 PM
The ornate warforged standing at the entrance stares off into space. Though it would be difficult to tell outwardly, the construct is beginning to feel anxious. Out of habit, it begins practicing the motions for its various spells in its mind, picturing the precise movement of each arm, hand, and finger.

[roll0]
[roll1]

Kyeudo
2007-09-27, 06:57 PM
Fetch

The light from the street lamps makes deep pools of shadow from the alley ways between the buildings and causes the few people still on the streets to cast long shadows. Some of the people still out on the street seem drunk, staggering and stumbling as if about to fall over, probably on their way home or perhaps to another of the parties going on.
The noise from inside is fairly loud and drowns out the other sounds of the city. You can hear the sounds of people talking and laughing, someone cursing their foul luck with the dice, and the clink of silverware on plates.

Randel
2007-09-28, 02:40 PM
Jacinth

The artificer looks over at the 'armored' warforged and notices the two it's talking to. Even though Jacinth wasn't much of a social person he could practically see the stress on the barbarian at the table... like he was a valve just one turn away from snapping and destroying the room in an explosive jet of steam (hate it when that happens).

Jacinth turns to Kalinar and says "I think I'd better talk to the poor fellow and get it straighted out. Must not have been trained for civilian contact yet."

Jacinth gets up from his table and approaches the adamantine warforged smiling as he gets his attention. "Greetings, I am Jacinth d'Cannith a human artificer. I see that you are seeking information, I will do what I can to help you obtain it." he outstretches his hand to shake hands with the warforged and then motions towards his table as if instructing it to take a seat.

EvilRoeSlade
2007-09-28, 03:45 PM
Templar

The immense warforged holds up a staying, gauntleted hand to Jacinth, its glowing eyes moving from the the half-orc to the now sullen barbarian. "You are refusing to face me and ignoring my attempts at conversation?" Its voice still shows little trace of emotion.

Ganon11
2007-09-28, 04:21 PM
Well, there was no avoiding it. If that machine wanted to talk to him, Gronth's best choice might be to talk to it...It certainly beat the option of talking to the abomination across the table, the bastard child of one of the women of his clan...

Enough. Your first day in the city should not be one of battle.

Turning around, Gronth stammered, "I'm...I'm sorry...I thought you were talking to someone...else..." He tried his best to stay amiable, but he really couldn't hide his distaste.

EvilRoeSlade
2007-09-29, 11:51 AM
Templar

"I find that rather unlikely. I see now that you would prefer to be left in peace. The obvious grace of its mechanical body seems to be hampered as it turns to face Jacinth. "Yes citizen?"

Randel
2007-09-29, 03:18 PM
Jacinth

Jacinth looked at the living construct before him, while its design was a little different than those he worked with, its personality seemed a bit... off. Most warforged he'd seen were more reserved and seldom spoke. It would probably be best to check on it and see if it is anything to worry about. House Cannith wouldn't want stories of warforged starting barfights spreading around, particularly when warforged sales tripled overnight with the new marketing slogan: Warforged, highly effective and tireless killing machines who DO NOT meet in a tavern.

"I couldn't help but hear that you wished to engage in conversation. Me and my companion here are from House Cannith, and I have a bit of experience in dealing with warforged. Perhaps you would like to sit down and join us?"

Lochar
2007-09-29, 03:50 PM
Kalinar nods to Jacinth and the warforged. "Come on over, we're happy to talk." He says, loud enough to be heard from their table.

EvilRoeSlade
2007-09-29, 07:39 PM
Templar

The armor-styled warforged is silent and inert for several moments, before it trudges over to the indicated table and stands, saying nothing.

Randel
2007-09-30, 03:36 PM
Jacinth

Jacinth sits down at the table and looks to the warforged as it stays standing. He pulls out his notebook and flips to a page containing a few notes on warforged he's written up before. He looks up again and asks, "So, are you here on business? I actually just got here recently and didn't see this big flash in the sky people are talking about... so, did you see it?"

EvilRoeSlade
2007-09-30, 03:46 PM
Templar

Templar is silent for a long moment. "No, it says at last. I've seen nothing. And I am here on leave so that I can learn to better facilitate interaction with humanoids."

Lochar
2007-09-30, 04:56 PM
Kalinar
"Well, I'm no Artificer..." Kalinar winks at Jacinth. "But someone really needed to give you a better language set up. Not that what you're saying is wrong, it just sounds different to a living ear. That's probably what puts people on edge..."

Kalinar pauses. "I don't think you ever gave us your name either. Would you care to share? I'm Kalinar d'Cannith, and this is Jacinth, an Artificer of one day world renown."

EvilRoeSlade
2007-09-30, 04:59 PM
Templar

Templar is eerily motionless as words emanate from its mouth. "A warforged has no name. I am a Templar Model, my classification is prototype."

Lochar
2007-09-30, 05:01 PM
Kalinar

"Everyone and everything has a name, if only so they know they are being addressed. Do you wish for us to address you as Templar, or..."

Kalinar actually looks interested in the warforged's response to this question.

EvilRoeSlade
2007-09-30, 05:04 PM
Templar

"Call me whatever you wish."

Kyeudo
2007-09-30, 07:44 PM
Fetch

Make another Spot and Listen check.

Randel
2007-10-01, 02:44 AM
Jacinth

Jacinth thinks about it, "Hmmm... name, name... Joe? Templar, peltram... Proto..." He stops and looks at the warforged again. "What does your owner or commander call you? They had to call you something in to give you orders."

EvilRoeSlade
2007-10-01, 10:38 AM
Templar

"Indeed, Templar is what I am called. I find that appropriate, it identifies me as a defender, indestructible, reliable. In fact, to avoid confusion, you should call me that as well."

Templar pauses. "I am disappointed that I have failed to relate to those two foreigners. However, might I ask you to tell me of your goals, your interests, and who you are as a person?"

Lochar
2007-10-01, 12:29 PM
"Myself? I'm a spellcaster. I'm attempting to learn more of my magic, so I guess you could say that's my goal and interest. And as for who I am as a person, it really depends on the viewer, does it not?"

Kalinar leans back against his chair, looking over at Jacinth. "He sees me as a fellow member of House Cannith, which makes me a probable friend. Since we've met before, that brings me up to someone he knows, and can most likely count on me as a friend."

He then points to the bartender. "He sees me as a patron, and as long as my coin is good, that's all he'll see. If my coin isn't good, then I'm a deadbeat."

"How I see myself?" Kalinar looks to Templar. "The survivor of an accident that took the life of someone better than me. A wizard without his magic, instead drawing on magic I don't know of, praying that everything works out."

EvilRoeSlade
2007-10-01, 12:37 PM
Templar

Strange emotion stirs in Templar, and finally it shifts, regarding Kalinar intently. "I find you more intriguing than first expected, as of course I have already had many dealings with employees of House Cannith over my three years of existence."

Templar is silent for a moment, and it seems that it has no more to say when it speaks again. "The remnant of a superior being, trying to discover who it is. I don't fully understand why, but I feel a kinship with you, Jacinth."

Randel
2007-10-01, 01:50 PM
Jacinth

"Well, I am an aspiring member of the Fabricators guild. For years, I've been helping my House and the war effort by making weapons and equipment, nothing magical yet mind you but they help. About two years ago I manifested a Mark of Making which allows me to magically repair damage to constructs like yourself."

He lifts up the sleeve on his right arm to reveal the least mark on the outside of his upper arm. "This marked me as special among my peers and I was promoted to work near warforged training faculties to help repair them during their training. I've recently been assigned to meet up with a squad of warforged to be sent to the border."

He leans back and thinks it over, "As for my aspirations... I suppose I've always wanted to build things. Magic things, that are interesting but practical, I think... some kinds of constructs as well." He looks at the mark on his arm. "I suppose if my mark did something like repair just about every weapon or tool out there than I would stick to just making and fixing stuff. But, since I was given this mark that only repairs constructs... I guess I should go look for some constructs to work with. Seems kind of like I'd be shirking my duties otherwise otherwise... or wasting a gift."

He shrugs and quickly finishes off the last bit of food on his plate, making sure to scrape off the last bit with a slice of bread and then goes back to sipping his cup of ale.

CockroachTeaParty
2007-10-01, 05:29 PM
Now, focus on the variations of intonation. Therein lies the difference between an orb of fire and an orb of cold. The absence of focus on raw destructive desire manifests in elemental variation...
The warforged standing guard at the door continues to survey the passing citizens. For a moment, it sounded like there was a scuffle brewing inside the bar, and the sentry had turned to look indoors for a moment. A hulking warforged was inside, apparently speaking to some humanoids. Was that the source of the unrest? Odd, for one of his kind to be conversing in such a manner. The ornate construct thought of this as he once more turned to the street, as he was instructed to do.

[roll0]
[roll1]

Kyeudo
2007-10-01, 05:48 PM
Fetch

Warforged eyes most definately weren't designed for low-light conditions, but darkness has no effect on your ears. From the shadows of the alleyway along the inn to your left (towards the east side of the building) comes what you think is a moan of pain.

CockroachTeaParty
2007-10-01, 10:53 PM
Intrigued, and wary of any drunkards or buffoons getting themselves in a scrap, the warforged moves to the alleyway to his left, to investigate a perceived moan of sorts. Perhaps it was a trick of the ears, but one couldn't be too sure during these uncertain times.

Kyeudo
2007-10-02, 12:25 AM
Lying sprawled in the shadows of the alleyway is a human workman. As Fetch aproaches, the man lets out a soft groan, so he must still be alive. Whatever left him in this condition isn't readily aparent, as the darkness makes it hard to observe anything.

CockroachTeaParty
2007-10-02, 01:08 PM
The warforged straps his spear to his back and kneels down to aid the injured man. He helps him to his feet, lending him a shoulder to lean on, and failing that, will drag him into the tavern.
Can you hear me? Are you injured? Let me help you.
If the man can be brought back inside without further incident, the warforged shouts to the patrons a request for aid, but instead of saying 'help,' he reverts back to the military-language he learned during training on accident, merely shouting, "Repair!"

Kyeudo
2007-10-02, 01:16 PM
The man is limp and unresponsive. He groans in pain again as Fetch lifts him up and drags him through the inn's front door.

Everyone else sees a mithril-plated warforged dragging an unconcious man through the front door and call out "Repair!"

Now that the man is in the light, you can see that he is deathly pale, but doesn't seem injured in any visible way. Judging by his clothing, he's a moderately well off merchant or shopkeeper.

EvilRoeSlade
2007-10-02, 01:22 PM
Templar

The adamanatine warforged shifts its helmet-shaped head to the entrance, and trudges towards the other of its kind, drawing its sword. Please report.

Ganon11
2007-10-02, 01:39 PM
Gronth, glad for the distraction, jumps up and rushes over to the injured man. With a quick glance, Gronth analyzes the situation; the man, deathly pale, with no apparent wounds. None gained in melee combat, at least. Possibly some sort of spell casting, or something...less natural...had caused this.

To be honest, Gronth cared little for this man. But whoever, or whatever, had done this to him...If Gronth aided in his capture - or, for that matter, elimination - he would certainly be rewarded. This might be just what Gronth needed to get noticed by someone official, what might get Gronth a place of honor among these city folk.

With this in mind, Gronth ignored his revulsion for the warforged, demanding, "Who did this to him? Where did he go?"

CockroachTeaParty
2007-10-02, 01:40 PM
The ornate warforged looks to the injured man, then to the hulking warforged before him with his emotionless, glowing teal eyes.
I was guarding the entrance to this tavern when I heard a noise. It was this man. He was prone in an alleyway when I found him. He needs medical attention.

Lochar
2007-10-02, 02:37 PM
Kalinar looks over the table to the injured man. Sighing, he stands up and walks over to him, ignoring the warforged talking.

He starts looking him over, checking his pulse, anything that might give an idea of if his ailment is physical or something worse.

Heal check. Whee. [roll0]

Becha I roll a 4 or less

Kyeudo
2007-10-02, 02:43 PM
The man's pulse is weak and rapid, and he's burning up. Dispite being unconcious, he groans in pain from time to time, especialy when moved. You think that he's sick with something, but you don't have a clue what it could be or whether it's contagious.

Looks like you got a 10. :smallbiggrin:

Lochar
2007-10-02, 02:46 PM
"Son of a..." Kithas stands back up and looks at the warforged. "Talk about what caused this later, he needs a healer relatively quickly."

Kalinar motions for the warforged that brought him in to pick him back up, before looking over at Jacinth.

K: Local, untrained check. [roll0] Looking to see if I know where a healer might be. Will finish post when I find out if I do or not.

"Know of a healer around here?" He asks Jacinth.

Kyeudo
2007-10-02, 02:57 PM
At the sudden commotion caused by the warforged's entrance, the half-elven barkeep comes over to investigate. "What in the name of Olladra is going on here?"

On seeing the sick man held up only by the warforged carrying him, the barkeep decides to take charge. "This man's in trouble and needs a healer. You," he says, pointing at Fetch, "carry him and follow me upstairs. We'll put him in one of the guest rooms while I send one of the kitchen boys for a Jorasco healer."

Randel
2007-10-02, 03:30 PM
Jacinth
"No, I've only been here a short while. There should be a member of House Jorasco in town at least... if he was a construct I could heal him in a second but as it is..." He quickly reaches through his pockets and pulls out a strip of cloth, after checking it he starts to weave his artificer magic into it, to give it healing properties.

"This will take a minute... and I mean 60 seconds and there is an 80% chance that it will backfire in some weird and magical way. So I strongly suggest that if there is a cleric, druid, paladin, bard, 'wizard who copied a healing spell off of a scroll', or any person at all with a healing potion or general idea where such a thing or person might be in the house that they should see about healing this guy before I have to."

Jacinth then hears the barkeep taking charge of the situation and stops working on his item. He breaths a sigh of relief and puts the cloth away. "Okay, that should do it."

CockroachTeaParty
2007-10-02, 11:31 PM
The warforged shoulders the limp man.
Yes, ma'am.
He carries the poor soul upstairs without another word.
What could be wrong with him?

Kyeudo
2007-10-03, 10:53 AM
The barkeep leads Fetch upstairs and to one of the unused quest rooms, where he instructs the warforged to put the man down on the bed.

Fetch

Make a Spot and Listen check.

EvilRoeSlade
2007-10-03, 10:58 AM
Templar

Templar sheaths his sword and steps toward the doorway, becoming inert.

CockroachTeaParty
2007-10-03, 11:53 AM
The warforged silently obeys, placing the unconscious man down as gently as he can manage.
[roll0]
[roll1]

Kyeudo
2007-10-03, 12:49 PM
Fetch

OOC: The forum roller must hate you.

The mans shallow breathing seems to slow, and then stop.

Randel
2007-10-03, 11:47 PM
Jacinth

Jacinth looks on as the warforged brings the sick man to the guest room. He looks back down to bit of cloth he was about to enchant and is simultaneously relieved that he didn't have to resort to risky methods and a bit upset inside that he didn't come prepared for dealing with injured people. Like he said, if it was a construct that needed repairs he could do it in a snap, but flesh and blood...

"I'm sure he'll be okay, these places always have quick access to a healer... I think.

Lochar
2007-10-04, 09:29 AM
"It's alright Jacinth. No one can be expected to be ready for everything."

Kalinar looks to where the warforged took the man. "And as we're Cannith not Jorasco, it's not that we'd be expected to heal his hurts. Your thought was above and beyond normal considerations." He nods to the other bar patrons. "You didn't see them all jumping to help, did you?"

EvilRoeSlade
2007-10-04, 10:33 AM
Templar

Templar's head turns to peer at Jacinth. It is my duty to assist any civilians who require aid. I must not forget this. Additionally, I should investigate the matter in case it concerns interests of the crown. I should be ashamed for just standing here doing nothing. After delivering this unasked for explanation, Templar strides heavily toward the stairs and climbs up them to find the ill man.

Randel
2007-10-04, 12:44 PM
Jacinth

Jacinth is relieved at this, "Thanks, though it was funny I could have sworn there would be at least someone with healing powers around here." He considers this. "Yeah, I'd better see about getting some scrolls or potions in case I get hurt... actually, if I can find a healer to provide the healing spell, I could probably write up a scroll in about 36 minutes."

He considers this and decides to check on it later when he has the time. He didn't bring any healing items with him because he figured that he would be given supplies when sent out on assignment, but if there was a plague or vampires around he might have to see about making up a private set of healing items.

CockroachTeaParty
2007-10-04, 01:33 PM
The ornate warforged walks back downstairs, slowly. His eyes twinkle softly as he stares at the ground in front of his feet, speaking softly.
I think it is too late for the injured man. I think he is dead.

Kyeudo
2007-10-04, 02:36 PM
"Kyber's bones!" the barkeep curses. "Now I'll have to wash the sheets for nothing." He bends over the man, checking for a pulse.

Templar is easily able to find the room they are in by following the sound of voices.

Lochar
2007-10-04, 02:44 PM
Kalinar nods at the warforged's words and then looks to Jacinth. "And now that the Jorasco is too late, there is little to be done, unless someone has some strange urge to contact the man's spirit. It would be best to advise the watch, to let them handle finding the man's kin."

Kalinar shrugs and sits back down at their table, back to the wall again, looking out over the room.

EvilRoeSlade
2007-10-04, 02:48 PM
Templar

Templar stares at the body for several moments. "I am sorry for any emotional distress you are experiencing," it says at last. It then begins looking through the body for any signs of identification.

Kyeudo
2007-10-04, 03:07 PM
The barkeep straightens back up. "No pulse left. He's definately gone. I'll head back downstairs to wait for the healer. He can take the body to the morgue." with as sigh, he leaves the room.

Templar's search of the body turns up a few silver pieces, a set of keys, some odds and ends, and a set of identification papers that reads "Damion Belrial" and identifies him as a tailor. While searching the corpse, you could have sworn that it twitched.

EvilRoeSlade
2007-10-04, 03:32 PM
Templar

Templar places the papers along with all of the other personal items on the table. Glancing at the body out of the corner of his eye, he frowns and departs the room.

Downstairs, the armor-shaped warforged approaches Jacinth. "Excuse me. Would you please run a diagnosis on my optical sensors? I believe there may be a problem with them, I just saw the deceased man move."

Lochar
2007-10-04, 03:43 PM
Kalinar looks up from the table when he hears Templar's words. "The deceased moved? Interesting. Either he's not quite dead, or he's going to wake up and need to be put back down. I think I'll go check."

He then gets up and goes to the room where the dead man was laying.

Closing his eyes and then touching the side of his head, Kalinar's voice seems to draw shadows towards him for a moment. He opens his eyes, only for them to be completely covered in shadow.

Fundamental: Mystic Reflections used. As detect magic.

K: Arcana [roll0]

Kyeudo
2007-10-04, 04:30 PM
Kalinar

There is a strange aura of magic surrounding the man's corpse, though faint. Part of it is a necromantic aura that superficialy resembles that of an undead creature, though the naunces of control are missing as well as the usual strength of such magic. Swirled through the dark magic of necromancy is another magical force, one which you have never encountered before, similar to the more silvery magic of enchantment, but a half-shade off. Wound around both is a faint purple glow.

Fetch

The bartender already left the room.

Lochar
2007-10-04, 04:36 PM
Kalinar curses as he quickly exits the room. "Forget the Jorasco healer, get a damned powerful mage in here. There's some half necromantic, half enchantment curse on him! He'll need the thing broken, quick and hard if he's going to survive." he shouts as he storms back into the main room.

After saying this, Kalinar looks around to everyone who touched the man, including himself, to see if the magical aura has hit them as well.

Kyeudo
2007-10-04, 05:04 PM
Kalinar

Luckily, no one else seems to be have the same aura of magic here inside the inn.

The half-orc was silent for a while as he gathered his thoughs. "My name is Rehsmar and my true story is a long one, so I will try to be brief. I was born in one of the orc tribes of the Marches, and hearing you speak so about my people reminded me of my childhood and their perverted rituals and warfare. As I said, my mother was a captive taken in a raid much like the one you discribe. She died in childbirth, so I never knew her." The man seems wistful for a moment before continuing. "I was raised a part their worship of a black worm from the Kyber. Their rituals always seemed wrong to me, until I finaly could not stand it further, and so left my tribe to wander the world. Since that time I have joined the Gatekeepers, and have worked to end the worship of the foul things spawned from the darkness. I see the scars left by the day you speak of have not fully healed. I had not meant to bring up such a tender subject, merely to find someone with which to speak of home."

EvilRoeSlade
2007-10-04, 06:59 PM
Templar

Templar's sword rings as he draws it. "That will be unnecessary," he says calmly. "It seems my optical receptors are functioning normally, and the twitch I saw was not merely a muscle spasm of the deceased. All citizens get to safety. I will defeat the enemy unit."

Templar clanks up the stairs, shield hefted and blade at the ready.

Kyeudo
2007-10-04, 07:29 PM
I need to know where everyone thinks they are now. Are you upstairs with the dead man, or downstairs in the common room?

EvilRoeSlade
2007-10-04, 07:36 PM
En route to the dead man.

Randel
2007-10-04, 08:33 PM
Jacinth

[In the common room]

Hearing what Kalinar says he snaps to his feet. "Wait, we should see about tying him up. If he's an undead there's the chance he might remember what made him undead... or something." The artificer quickly looks around the room for some sturdy rope to tie the 'patient' down with. He turns to everyone in the common room. "Rope, we need rope to tie this guy down before he turns into an undead. If anybody here has some rope or manacles of some kind we need them!"

Sheesh... I really need to get myself stocked up on stuff... or learn to fabricate.

He waits a moment for anyone to respond on if they have one of the two items while he readies his crossbow.

Randel
2007-10-04, 08:50 PM
Jacinth

"Or more specifically, see if we can tie him up before he rises as a murderous undead servant of evil. If we can't tie him up... then I guess we have to re-kill him."

Lochar
2007-10-04, 09:17 PM
Kalinar reaches over the table, grabbing his backpack. He pulls it open and reaches in."Looking for this, Jacinth?" He is holding a long length of silk rope.

Ganon11
2007-10-04, 09:24 PM
Gronth listened to to the half-orc with half an ear, trying as hard as he could not to break into a murderous rage. This was fortunate, as it allowed him to control his actions and not kill anyone. Unfortunately, his patience lasted little more than 3 sentences.

"Orc," he growled, "I care little about your history. We are not related. We are nothing alike. And if you try to convince me otherwise, I'll have your tongue so that you trouble me no more!"

Ignoring the half-orc, Gronth turned to the commotion in the rest of the common room. Two men seemed to be conversing, and Gronth couldn't quite pick up what they were talking about. He assumed it had something to do with the man they had brought in - but Gronth didn't know, since he had been concentrating on ignoring the half-orc.

I'm in the common room of the inn, standing a short distance away from Reshmar.

CockroachTeaParty
2007-10-04, 09:53 PM
Unstrapping the spear on his back, the mithral-plated warforged listens to the others speak of impending danger. Inwardly, he feels increasingly ill at ease. He opens a pouch on his belt, and takes out a small object which he conceals in his palm.

Kyeudo
2007-10-04, 10:02 PM
Templar reaches the door to the spare room just as the corpse lurches off the bed. The thing's limbs move stiffly, as if it was some sort of hideous puppet being controlled by invisible strings. It staggers towards the warforged like a drunken man, arms reaching out.

Everyone should probably roll inititive.

Randel
2007-10-04, 10:05 PM
Jacinth

Jacinth gladly takes the rope. "Thank you." He then quickly heads into the room where the 'corpse' rests. He says to Templar "Wait, lets try tying him up first. Maybe there is a way to restore him or at least get some answers if we don't destroy him. Here, I'll tie him up and you see about keeping his head down so he doesn't bite me. Maybe stuff something in his mouth."

He moves towards the body as quickly as he can and tries binding the hands and feet together. A process that would take about a minute.

[roll0] (1 from dex, 2 from it being silk rope, and 10 for it being easier to tie than to escape from being bound)

Lochar
2007-10-04, 10:18 PM
Init: [roll0]

Kalinar follows up behind Jacinth. "Oh, that doesn't look good." He brings his hands up and his shadow seems to stretch for a moment, it's movements working differently than Kalinar's hands. "Quit moving, be you living or dead."

Voice of Shadows: Will save on the person. If he's living, it's a command spell. If he's undead, it's a save versus being dazed for 1 round. DC: 13

Randel
2007-10-04, 10:21 PM
Jacinth

(Oh, snap! I'm too late...)

Okay, Jacinth is a few feet behind the warforged and 'wielding' the rope. Seeing that the body got up from the bed and walking like an automoton and that Templar is wielding a sword... he figures that tying it up is now a futile gesture. He drops the rope and pulls three stones out of his pocket, infusing them with power

Initiative: [roll0]

The infusion is magic stone, which makes each of the stones deal 1d6+1 damage or 2d6+2 damage to undead when thrown.

CockroachTeaParty
2007-10-04, 10:42 PM
Hearing commotion from the room, the ornate warforged holds his spear at the ready.
Sitrep?

1d20+2
Considering Fetch has no idea what's going on, he will hold his ground. Assuming no opportunities to attack arise, he will spend this round taking a total defense action, bringing his AC to 22.

Ganon11
2007-10-04, 10:55 PM

Since Gronth is still in the common room, he probably can't hear the raucous in the room with the body, so even though I have an init roll, Gronth's not going to do anything until he hears something or the action comes down to him.

Kyeudo
2007-10-04, 11:30 PM
Might as well roll for the dearly departed Damion Belrial.

Inititive: [roll0]

EvilRoeSlade
2007-10-05, 12:19 AM
[roll0]

Templar advances upon the walking corpse, boldly declaring, "I will send you back to your grave!" He then crouches, placing his shield before him and raising his sword for an overpowering strike, paying only nominal attention to his defense.

Fighting challenge on the undead, which fails unless it has an int of 5, is able to speak a language, and has a CR of no more than 2 less than mine, which is either -1 or 1/3 depending on your interpretation.

[roll1]
[roll2]
-1 to both if fighting challenge didn't work

Kyeudo
2007-10-05, 12:44 AM
Here's a quick map of the rooms
http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b30/Kyeudo/InnBedrooms.jpg

To get everyone in inititive order, I took the liberty of summerizing everyone's actions.

Inititive 21: Upstairs, Templar makes a preemptive strike on the walking corpse. The thing seems unaffected by his challenge to battle. His sword cleaves into the thing's flesh and spilling its cold blood upon the floor. He is at B3.

Inititive 21: Jacinth, standing behind Templar, infuses three stones with power, readying them to use against the walking dead. He is at B4

Inititive 5: Gronth is sitting at the bar downstairs ignoring Rehsmar.

Inititive 4: Fetch is down in the common room, ready for any attack.

Inititive 3: Kalinar, standing next to Jacinth, attempts to command the zombie. He's at C4. Will Save: [roll0]

Inititive 2: Kalinar's words seem to shake the shambling corpse, preventing it from acting.

Those who wish to react to Templars shout and join the fray upstairs will have to spend 2 rounds to hustle up the steep stairs and down the hallways to the room. (Its a pretty big inn.)

As for what's going on down in the common room, most of the patrons are starting to looks anxious. The talking has dropped to wispers, and the games of cards and dice have stopped. A few have started to leave the inn.

Everyone make a Listen check on their turn.

Randel
2007-10-05, 01:48 AM
Jacinth

AC:14 HP:12/12

Jacinth holds two of the enchanted stones in his left hand and the other in his right. He slips in through the doorway to position A3 (since thats the only position where he can use a ranged attack without having to aim through a wall or a warforged) Since the zombie is taking no action he assumes he has a clear shot at it. "Take this!" He throws the pebble at the zombie from a distance of about 5 feet.

Ranged attack (that's really close up): [roll0] (+1 base ranged attack, +1 dex, +1 enhancement bonus from the magic stone spell, not sure if there is a bonus or penalty for throwing at this distance)

Damage: [roll1] for undead, if it hits anyone else (sorry Templar) it deals [roll2]

theterran
2007-10-05, 06:11 AM
Hector

[roll0]

A loud shout wakes Hector from his slumber (@C7)

*sigh*
Of all the rooms, I get stuck in the one next to the loud drunk...still...I wonder who he's going to kill

Crawling out of bed, Hector moves into the hall to see what exactly all the commotion is about (@D4).

Seeing a man in the hall, and assuming he's the one who was shouting, Hector speaks up.

"Would you mind keeping it down?!? Some people are trying to sleep...and I imagine that you really don't want to send anyone to their grave, it's probably just the booze talking..."

EvilRoeSlade
2007-10-06, 12:36 PM
Templar

Templar steps further into the room, blocking the entryway as he silently makes a few feinting thrusts before moving in for a powerful chop to the legs.

[roll=Attack]1d20+4
[roll0]

Kyeudo
2007-10-06, 09:46 PM
One of Templar's feinting thrusts catches the zombie in the throat, severing its head from its body. The corpse drops like a puppet with its strings cut, spilling blood across the wooden floor from its torn neck.

OOC: Since not everyone has had a chance to roll Listen checks yet, I rolled them for everyone.

Gronth, Hector, and Jacinth all hear the faint sound of terrified screams in the distance, comming from outside the inn.

EvilRoeSlade
2007-10-07, 01:56 AM
Templar

Templar picks up a blanket off the bed and cleans his sword on it, before stepping out into the hall. "Try to save your spells for a more substantial threat. Furthermore, remain as far away from enemy units as possible, to allow me to shield you from their attacks. Now I have to investigate this situation. I could use your help."

Randel
2007-10-07, 02:08 AM
Jacinth

AC:14 HP:12/12

Jacinth holds the two stones in his hand (or three if his attempt at attacking didn't happen), they will be good for the next 29 minutes or so. He shrugs and stays behind Templar. "Sounds like there is trouble outside... most likely whatever got to our poor friend here and possibly connected with that big flash in the sky."

He looks around at the zombie, curious if the severed head is still animated. Being careful not to get close to it regardless. He picks up the silk rope and returns it to Kalinar. "Anyone remember their Zombie plan?"

theterran
2007-10-07, 07:03 AM
Hector

Irritated at being ignored, Hector was just about to lay into the drunk when a massive Warforged exited the room cleaning a sword covered in blood. Hector whimpers...

"Maybe you did mean to send him to his grave after all."

Hearing the scream from outside, Hector desides to follow the other two outside to investigate.

Lochar
2007-10-07, 09:30 AM
Kalinar closes his mouth, ending his incantation before it finishes and then accepts the rope and puts in back into his bag. "Zombie plan? Kill them all, if I remember correctly." He smiles wanely.

"Trouble outside, eh? We're already knee deep in it, might as well go deeper." Kalinar walks with Jacinth and Templar, nodding to the man that just woke up.

Ganon11
2007-10-07, 09:34 AM
A scream pierced Gronth's thoughts - battle being waged, perhaps? No, maybe someone getting attacked or otherwise suffering. Regardless, Gronth needed some way to channel his aggression. Turning around, Gronth snatched the massive ax in one hand and rushed outside, trying to determine the direction from which the scream came.

EvilRoeSlade
2007-10-07, 11:02 AM
Templar

Yes, says Templar in response to Harold. He takes a few steps toward the stairway and then stops. Don't follow us. You will be safer here.

Kyeudo
2007-10-07, 01:07 PM
Outside, Gronth can more easily hear the screams of terror and pain. They seem to be rising from all over the city. Suddenly the silent, shadowy forms stumbling through the night take on a much more sinister role, especialy with the commotion that you heard going on inside. Several of the forms are heading towards the inn.

CockroachTeaParty
2007-10-07, 01:23 PM
As the sounds of terror begin to envelope the city, and he sees the others readying themselves for battle, the ornate mithral warforged replaces his spear on his back. He takes out a crossbow and a winch, and readies a bolt. Has the war reached the city?
Without any real orders, he kicks over a table and takes cover behind it.
Now my turn to fight has come...

Randel
2007-10-07, 02:16 PM
Jacinth

Jacinth looks around the room and, hearing the screams outside, begins to formulate a plan. He looks for the barkeep and talks to him "Okay, the dead man that was brought upstairs just rose up as a ravenous zombie and we had to re-kill it... it's kind of messy up there. I think this is happening all over the city and in just a bit we may find ourselves up close with lots of undead zombies that if they kill you then you turn into a zombie.

So, I think we should call in any members of the staff you have outside at the moment, bar up the back door and any other entrance with maybe someone there to let in uninfected humans if doing so will not let in zombies as well. Let the big warforged there *points to Templar* guard the front entrance by standing in it so he only has to fight one or two zombies at a time. Then we could try gathering up any survivors who are caught outside wandering the streets. Though if my knowledge is correct, in a disaster we could expect a few criminal types to try looting in the commotion."

He stops to take a breath and then asks, "Oh, did you already send one of your staff out to get the healer? If so, how long ago and which direction is the healer located?

EvilRoeSlade
2007-10-07, 05:01 PM
Templar

Templar steps up behind Jacinth. I'm sorry, but I can't allow you to take such drastic measures based only on a hypothesis. You have no proof to back your claims. Under the circumstances, I'm going to have to abandon my current mission. If the city is indeed under attack, my first priority is to protect the Queen. Please accompany me to the royal palace at once.

Sword still drawn, Templar trudges heavily towards the entrance to the inn and out into the street.

Lochar
2007-10-07, 09:08 PM
Kalinar raises an eyebrow at the quickly moving warforged's back. He then looks to Jacinth. "Takes charge when he thinks he knows what's going on, doesn't he?" He looks again at the empty doorframe. "Think we should chase him? As a forged, I don't see him being bitten, really."

Kyeudo
2007-10-07, 10:15 PM
The bartender seems shocked by Jacinth's words. "The poor boy . . . I sent one of the kitchen boys to fetch the healer a minute ago. I told him to run quickly, so he's probably halfway to the Jorasco enclave by now. The enclave is just a few block to the north east of here. I didn't think the boy would be in danger . . ." The barkeep trails off as the sounds of someone banging heavily upon wood start coming from the kitchen. A woman, presumably the cook, screams in fright.

CockroachTeaParty
2007-10-07, 11:23 PM
Leaving the makeshift table barricade, the warforged kicks down the kitchen door, pointing his crossbow at any perceived threat, attempting to see if the cook is in danger.

Randel
2007-10-08, 01:38 AM
Jacinth tries to consol the barkeep. "He might be okay, if he was your fastest kitchen boy he should easily outrun the zombies. Zombies can't move very fast and as long as he has enough light to see them coming he should be able to avoid them. If he was still close by or likely to be back soon then he might need warning."

When he hears Templar he turns and shouts. "Wait! The Queen is in another city! And she's got more than enough guards and gates to protect herself. We need you to protect the citizens!"

When he hears the scream and sees the other warforged break down the door into the kitchen he follow it. Looking behind himself he shouts. "Close that door and guard it in case any zombies try getting in but be sure to let in survivors. If anyone has any means to fight the undead I suggest you come out and get ready."

He makes his way after Fetch and clutches the three stones in his pocket. He has the feeling that he really should have gotten some healing scrolls made up earlier.

theterran
2007-10-08, 06:31 AM
Hector

Undead?!? This seems an odd place for the living impaired...

Hector notices a Warforged break down the kitchen door.

There's definitely something going on here, and whether it's undead or not, I imagine I can be of some help, even if it is just healing the wounded.

Kyeudo
2007-10-08, 11:07 AM
The kitchen door slams into the wall with a bang as Fetch bursts through it. The cook, a half-elven woman, has pressed herself up agains the farthest corner of the room. The pounding on the door is louder now, and the wood around the lock is starting to crack and splinter. A heavy hand crashes down upon the glass of the window, shattering it into dozzens of shards. Through the gaping hole, the blank, mindless faces and clumsy, exagerrated motions of several undead can be seen out in the night.

Out on the street, Gronth and Templar can see the whole of the street. The inn sits at the north-western corner of a T shaped crossroads, To the east, the streetlamps cast small pools of light down the whole of the block, illuminating the shadowy fronts of homes and shops and a number of shambling, humanoid forms. To the west, the road splits to the north and south. You can't see around the inn to see much of whats down the road to the north, but you can see a distance to the south, and the view is just as grim as to the east.

Of more imediate concern are the dead that are shambling from the alleyways across from the inn. There are four of them on the street right now, but from the screaming coming from the inn's kitchen, you don't doubt that there are more of them in the darkness.

EvilRoeSlade
2007-10-08, 11:24 AM
Templar

No one touches the citizens of Cyre! After his bold shout, Templar stalks heavily towards the advancing zombies.

[roll0]
Delay until after the zombies turn. If they move close enough to move, then I will charge the nearest one, if not I will double move in their direction.
[roll1]
[roll2]

CockroachTeaParty
2007-10-08, 11:39 AM
Wasting no time, the warforged moves up to the broken window on the door and stretches out his left hand into the frame. The construct shouts something nonsensical as a sheet of searing flames bursts forth.
We need to seal this exit!

[roll0]
[roll1]
Hopefully the spell will hit as many undead as possible in a 10 ft. half circle. The zombies need to make a DC 14 reflex save for half damage. If Fetch gets attacked, he's got a +5 Concentration modifier.

Ganon11
2007-10-08, 11:41 AM
With a growl, Gronth charges at the nearest form, hacking away with abandon.

Are we keeping initiative rolls, or re-rolling?

Just in case, [roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
AC: Temporarily 14

theterran
2007-10-08, 12:20 PM
Hector

Following the warforged into the kitchen.

Undead indeed! And from the looks of it, there are quite a few...may The Flame protect me and vanquish this evil!

Hector moves into the kitchen and grabs the necklace of a flame around his neck.

Hector attempts to turn any undead he can see within 60ft. (Not sure how big this kitchen is :smallwink:

Rolling Stuff

[roll0] (edit)Wow...an Init. of 0!
Turn Check[roll1] - Lets see if I can even turn any of these...(edit) only undead with a level 2 less than mine are effected...so basically none :smallsigh:
Turn Damage[roll2]

Randel
2007-10-08, 12:35 PM
Jacinth

Jacinth silently curses Templar for abandoning them like this, he could probably be very effective in close combat situations like this. He turns to the cook. "Quick, do you have any grease or anything really slippery? We can use it to keep them off balance. His mind races to find a way to better hamper the undead outside.

He checks the door to see if it can be barred (if it has slots on the sides to place a heavy wooden plank) if it does, then he rushes over to bar the door. If it doesn't he pulls out his crossbow and loads it.

Lochar
2007-10-08, 01:15 PM
Kalinar

Cursing softly to himself, Kalinar grabs his crossbow from the chair it'd been hanging from and loads it. He closes the front door, so nothing can just wander in. He then flips a table over and sets up behind it, crossbow pointed at the front door.

Readied action to fire at anything coming in the front, if it's not Gronth or Templar who I saw go out there.

Kyeudo
2007-10-08, 01:32 PM
Inititive 11: Jacinth - The cook is practicaly frozen in fear. She's grabbed a large kitchen knife and is clutching it like her life depends upon it. She doesn't respond to Jacinth's words.
As for barring the door, the study wooden door, while tough enough to keep out common thieves, was not made to stop relentless pounding. There are no brackets to hold a bar, as the lock was probably figured to be enough. One of the large cabinets might be pushed up against the door to help brace it, but they look heavy and hard to move.
While considering his options, he loads his crossbow.

Inititive 8: Zombies - One of the zombies in the kitchen begins to crawl through the window, leaving behind a trail of blood from the cuts inflicted by the broken glass. More pounding on the door by the rest of the kitchen group.
Outside, the nearest pair of zombies charge towards Gronth (Still at his normal AC). The others shamble towards Templar, who is slower out the door and so behind Gronth.

Inititive 7: Templar charges towards one of the zombies heading towards him, but the uneven cobblestones of the street cause him to mistime his swing, causing it to go wide and miss.

Inititive 6: Fetch blasts the zombie crawling in the window with a blast of fire. The zombies outside are also caught in the blast and are scorched by the magical fire.

Inititive 5: Kalinar readies a barricade and covers the front door with his crossbow.

Inititive 4: Gronth swings wildly at the zombies, powerful blows that could dismember with a single swing, but none of his errattic swings connect.

Inititive 0: Hector attempts to drive back the dead with the holy power of his diety, but his power does not seem to be strong enough to drive them back.

Kyeudo
2007-10-08, 01:34 PM
Forgot to roll the zombie's attacks on Gronth. This might get nasty.

Zombie1:
Attack -[roll0]
Damage -[roll1]
Zombie2:
Attack -[roll2]
Damage -[roll3]

Lochar
2007-10-08, 01:37 PM
Kalinar turns to see how much commotion is actually coming from the kitchen area. He moves to the door into the kitchen area, and seeing the zombie crawling in through the window, fires a bolt off at it.

It's kinda hard to decide what to do, since the zombies take their move before I do, so it's likely that this doesn't even apply once it comes to my inititave. If it doesn't, then I'm firing at another zombie that isn't in combat.

Attack:
Confirm Crit: [roll1]
Should the attack be less than 12, using an Action point to boost it. [roll2]
Damage: roll]1d8

EvilRoeSlade
2007-10-08, 01:42 PM
Templar

Templar throws a look at Gronth which might convey concern or alarm by its rapidness-if his plate-mail styled body had anything resembling a face, and disengages from the zombies he is currently facing, trudging forward to close ranks with him.

If possible I will move towards one of the zombies attacking Gronth and attack it, provoking as few AOOs as possible preferably (but as many as necessary). Otherwise I'll carefully disengage and take a double move to do so. Speed is 20 ft.
[roll0]
[roll1]

Ganon11
2007-10-08, 02:03 PM
Gronth shrugs off the surprisingly powerful blows, his common sense becoming blinded by his sudden fury. With a bloodthirsty shout, Gronth swings again at one of the zombies.

Raging, so temp stats are: STR 19 + 4, CON 19 + 4, HP 16 (-9 = 7).

Rage rounds left: 6 (after this)

[roll0]
[roll1]

If the zombie is killed, I get a Cleave attack against the other:

[roll2]
[roll3]

As far as tactics go, while Gronth remains in his rage (a total of 7 rounds), he will continue killing zombies outside. When this ends, Gronth will retreat to the tavern and try to defend it as well as possible with his shortbow.

Randel
2007-10-08, 02:07 PM
Jacinth

The artificer notices a large cabinet against the wall, and decides to move it to block the door. Turning to Fetch he says, "Here, help me move this to block the door." He sets his crossbow down and moves over to lift and move the heavy cabinet to block the door if possible accepting any help he's given and being careful not to hurt Fetch in the process.

He turns around and yells to anyone but particularly the barkeep or the cook, "Anyone who can't fight, you may want to head upstairs. Zombies are bad at climbing steps. If you have any grease you may be able to grease the steps and non-infected people can help themselves up using the handrails."

Strength check: [roll0]

(man, I could probably be giving people morale bonuses... I'm like a bard who casts infusions instead of spells)

CockroachTeaParty
2007-10-08, 05:26 PM
Seeing how the flames have done little to slow down their attackers, the warforged obliges the artificer, helping him move the cabinet to the best of his abilities. As he does so, he cautiously looks to the prone monster on the floor, still smoking from his spell.

[roll0]
If the zombie gets up in Fetch's threatened space, he will use up his attack of opportunity to try and slam the creature with his metal fist.

theterran
2007-10-09, 05:20 AM
Hector

Detered by his turning's lack of effect, Hector moves forward to help the others with the cabinet.

Strength Check [roll0]

Kyeudo
2007-10-09, 10:14 AM
Jacinth labors to push one of the heavy cabinets over to the door, but his strength alone is unequal to the task.

Zombies: In the kitchen, the zombie crawling through the broken window finishes crawling through and falls to the floor, then staggers to its feet. There is more pounding on the door, which is causes the hinges and lock to split even more. One more round of such punishment, and the door may well break down.
Out front, the zombies are starting to converge on Templar and Gronth. Two are attacking Gronth, while the other two attack Templar. Shambling in the shadows makes you believe more may step out soon.
Zombie1 (Attacking Gronth)
Attack:[roll0]
Damage:[roll1]
Zombie2 (Attacking Gronth)
Attack:[roll2]
Damage:[roll3]
Zombie3 (Attacking Templar)
Attack:[roll4]
Damage:[roll5]
Zombie4 (Attacking Templar)
Attack:[roll6]
Damage:[roll7]

Templar moves over to stand by Gronth, provoking an AoO from a zombie. His sword strikes true on one of the zombies, cutting through flesh with a sickening splortch.
Zombie3
Attack:[roll8]
Damage:[roll9]

Fetch joins in pushing the cabnet, but still little progress is made.

Kalinar fires a crossbow bolt at the zombie still coming through the window. The bolt sinks into its chest, but the zombie is unfazed.

Gronth takes advantage of Templar's help, cleaving through the weakened zombie's ribcage and into the next. The Zombie1 hits the floor like a sack of wet cement. (OOC: I accidently used the wrong modifier for the zombies damage. Gronth has 2 more hitpoints than we thought.)

Finaly, with Hector's help, the cabinet finaly begins to move. Another round of pushing should get the cabnet in front of the door.

EvilRoeSlade
2007-10-09, 10:18 AM
Templar

Templar stands firm under the corpse's battering assaults. Their blows simply cannot pierce his heavy shield and unyielding armor. He silently stalks towards the wounded zombie, raising his sword high and making a few parries before lunging towards an opening to attack.

[roll0]
[roll1]

Lochar
2007-10-09, 10:26 AM
((OOC: Can I see the zombies attempting to punch through the backdoor, or just see the door splintering still?))

Ganon11
2007-10-09, 11:12 AM
Gronth staggers under the blow of the first zombie, just manages to dodge the clumsy blow of the second. Tearing his axe out of the decaying corpse, Gronth's eyes flare with fury as he lunges at the next.

Gronth will try to flank Zombie2 with a 5-foot step if possible - if not, Gronth will attempt to make a 5-foot step to put him adjacent to 2 zombies - if not possible, Gronth will remain stationary and simply attack Zombie2.

[roll0] (With an additional +2 if flanking is possible)
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]

AC: 14
HP: 3/16
Rounds of rage left: 5

Kyeudo
2007-10-09, 11:51 AM
Reshmar

(Might as well use him until I can write him out of the story.)
Inititive: [roll0]

Reshmar comes running out of the inn's door, stout walking staff in one hand, and moves towards the wounded Gronth. Laying his hand on the human's shoulder, the half-orc calls out "Let nature heal her children!"

Cure Light Wounds: [roll1]

Randel
2007-10-09, 01:32 PM
Jacinth

Note to self, invent something that makes it easier to move furniture.

Seeing that he has little time left, Jacinth puts his all into moving the cabinet.

Strength Check: using an action point 1d20+1d6

1d20+1d6 (bloody hell) or just use my point to move the darn thing already if possible.

Strength Check: 1d20
Plus spent action point: 1d6

Jacinth now has 4 action points

Randel
2007-10-09, 01:42 PM
Jacinth

(okay, evidently I can't have two different types of dice in the forum dice rollers and I can't edit a post to include now dice rolls, makes sense but I'm starting to think this cabinet is more than cursed.)

Strength Check: [roll0]
Plus spent action point: [roll1]

Jacinth now has 4 action points

Randel
2007-10-09, 01:48 PM
Jacinth

(Oookay, and rice rolls get messed up if you preview the post to make sure it will actually work before posting it. Nothing weirdly supernatural about that.)

Strength Check: [roll0]
Plus spent action point: [roll1]

Jacinth now has 4 action points.

(By the way, if it turns out we can't move this cabinet in time... I say we retreat to upstairs and let the cabinet eat the zombies. If it turns out this thing is some kind of mimic I wouldn't be surprised in the least.)

CockroachTeaParty
2007-10-09, 02:42 PM
Pushing with all his might, the mithral warforged concentrates, gritting his metallic jaw.
Heave!

[roll0]
[roll1]
If I beat DC 10, but still got less than Jacinth, consider Fetch's attempt to be an Aid Another action, boosting Jacinth's check by +2.

Lochar
2007-10-09, 03:32 PM
Kalinar

The shadows gather at a harshly spoken word by Kalinar, before striking out at the zombie that is currently crawling through the window.

Voice of the Shadows, stun the zombie for one round. DC 13, burning an AP to up the DC by 1, so DC 14 Will save. 7 AP left

Kyeudo
2007-10-09, 03:48 PM
Lochar

I don't think you can do that with an action point. Eberron action points are more limited than SRD action points.

theterran
2007-10-09, 03:49 PM
Hector

Back against the cabinet, Hector throws all his weight against it, hoping it will be enough to block the door.

Kyeudo
2007-10-09, 04:33 PM
Inititive 11: Jacinth pushes the cabinet with all his might, forcing it closer to the weakening door.

Inititive 9: Reshmar arrives at the scene and heals the worst of Gronth's wounds.

Inititive 8: In the kitchen, Zombies pound heavily against the wooden door. The lock looks like it might break right out of the door if this keeps up much longer. The zombie that just crawled through the window lurches to its feet, and staggers towards Kalinar.
Out in front of the inn, the zombies

Inititive 7: Templar's sword slashes deep into the zombie's arm, exposing bone.

Inititive 6: With the Warforged's aid, the heavy cabinet moves even further.

Inititive 5: Kalinar speaks, and shadows assault the zombie, trying to hold it back. Will Save: [roll0] vs DC 12

Inititive 4: The blow from Gronth's axe tears deep into the zombie's shoulder. The zombie, flanked by Gronth and Templar, staggers, but does not fall.

Inititive 0: Hector throws his back into it, and together the three push the cabinet up against the door. The cabinet shudders slightly with every blow from the other side, but the door no longer seems to be about to break off its hinges.

Kyeudo
2007-10-09, 04:59 PM
For this round:
In the kitchen, the zombie already inside is dazed by Kalinar's voice. Another zombie begins to climb through the broken window, while the movement you can see outside seems to show that the number of zombies out there has increased and that they are begining to move around the inn.
On the street, the zombie's continue to attack. One attempts to bite the Gronth, while the other two are moving to grab the warforged. The zombie's provoke AoOs from Templar while doing so.

Zombie2
Attack: [roll0]
Damage: [roll1]

Zombie3
Touch Attack: [roll2]
Grapple: [roll3] (to establish a hold)

Zombie4
Touch Attack: [roll4]
Grapple: [roll5] (to establish a hold)

Another pair of zombies shambles out of the darkness of the alleyways across the street.

EvilRoeSlade
2007-10-09, 05:04 PM
Templar

Templar spins and pushes back his foes with his shield, locked in desperate, brutal battle. His sword flashes as he hacks wildly, trying to keep back his foes.

Attack of opportunity vs. zombie3
[roll0]

EvilRoeSlade
2007-10-09, 05:05 PM
[roll0]
Attack Zombie 2:
[roll1]
[roll2]
Presumably I hit and damaged zombie3, ruining its grapple attempt.

Kyeudo
2007-10-09, 05:17 PM
Someone pointed out I forgot half of the zombies actions last round. Here you are:

They all attack. 2 bite at Templar, 1 at Gronth.

Zombie2 (Attacking Gronth)
Damge: [roll1]

Zombie3 (Attacking Templar)
Attack: [roll2]
Damge: [roll3]

Zombie4 (Attacking Templar)
Attack: [roll4]
Damge: [roll5]

Ganon11
2007-10-09, 06:52 PM
His savage fury unabating, Gronth continues to swing sildly, strength returned to his tired limbs from Reshmar's spell. "Back off, bastard! I don't need your help!"

Attacking Zombie2, with the +2 for flanking:

[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]

HP: 12 (5 + 7 from CLW)
Rounds of rage left: 4

Kyeudo
2007-10-09, 07:45 PM
Reshmar

Wielding his walking staff two-handed, Reshmar strikes at the nearest zombie as he replies. "Amoung the Gatekeepers we have a saying. 'Only a fool faces alone what he could face with others.' You may hate me, but these abominations will kill us both regardless."

Randel
2007-10-10, 01:24 AM
Jacinth

Jacinth backs away from the cabinet and turns toward the zombie that is standing in the kitchen. He pulls out one of the three magic stones in his pocket and throws it at the zombie. "That should slow them, but we may want to brace it some more in a bit, after we deal with these windows." After throwing the stone, he looks for a stove, interested in its position relative to the window, and what is cooking on or in it.

CockroachTeaParty
2007-10-10, 02:20 AM
As the windows begin to break, allowing even more undead to enter the kitchen, the warforged backs away towards the tavern.
We are running out of options! We must retreat! Let us fall back to the upper floors! We must discuss a strategy, and quickly!

Fetch is going to run upstairs, and wait for the others to join him. He'll cover the stairwell with his crossbow in the meantime.

theterran
2007-10-10, 06:00 AM
Hector

Moving away from the cabinet and toward the exit out of the kitchen, Hector once again grasps the wooden flame around his neck attempting to turn the undead coming through the window.

"Hopefully this will give us some time to escape and barricade the next door."

Turning Check [roll0]
Expend an AP to add [roll1] to the Turning check.

Turning Damage [roll2]

(edit) My rolling sucks so far...maybe I should make some more strength checks :smallsigh:

Lochar
2007-10-10, 08:38 AM
Kalinar quickly backs up, getting away from the zombies. "Definately not my idea of a good time. Do we want to go upstairs or out the front? Templar and some others ran out that way, they may need help."

theterran
2007-10-10, 09:10 AM
Hector

"Running upstairs, we'll be trapped, running outside, we'll be surrounded. Sounds like a no win situation to me."

Kyeudo
2007-10-10, 10:53 AM
Jacinth throws the second of his enhanced stones. The rock strikes the zombie with incredible force and part of its chest caves in with a loud crunch.

Reshmar's staff smashes down on one of the zombies with the sickening crunch of bone. The zombie, its head now lolling at a unnatural angle, continues to attack.

In the kitchen, The zombie already in the room is held back by Kalinar's shadows, while another is crawling clumsily in through the window.
Out front, the a pair of the walking dead attempt to grab Templar, but one's clumsy attempt misses, while the other is driven back by Templar's sword. More undead shamble out of the alleys on the opposite side of the street and join the fight.

Templar hacks at the onrushing zombie, driving it back.

Fetch withdraws from the room, heading up the stairs.

Kalinar also withdraws from the kitchen, as he contemplates making a break out the front door.

Gronth's axe again slices through the zombie facing him and into the zombie attempting to grab Templar. Both drop.

Hector retreats to the door and once more attempts to drive the zombies back with the power of his diety, but fails. (You can keep that action point if you want. You spend action points after you see the results. Just double post or post it in the OOC.)

EvilRoeSlade
2007-10-10, 11:30 AM
Templar

Memories of past battles float through Templar's mind, guiding his blade and body with masterful precision. They were battles that had never actually occurred, but Templar was too busy to be troubled this now. "I am Templar!" He shouts. "I will never retreat from the front line!"

After adjusting his shield to meet the grasping hands of the zombies, Templar raises his sword high and swings it at the neck of the zombie that had already been bashed in by Reshmar.

I'm not sure which zombies are still standing and which aren't, but I definitely want to attack a zombie that has already been damaged. Preferably whichever one seems to have suffered the most damage.

[roll0]
[roll1]

Ganon11
2007-10-10, 12:12 PM
With a sick pleasure, Gronth tears his axe away from the bodies of the fallen zombies. His blazing eyes search for a target; finding one, he charges into battle yet again. "We, too, have a saying, Druid!" screams Gronth. "In my tribe, we say, DEATH TO ALL WHO OPPOSE US!"

Gronth will attack the zombie nearest Templar and Reshmar if it is still alive - if it has fallen, Gronth will charge the nearest zombie.

[roll0] (If charging, add an additional +2 to hit
[roll1]

HP: 9
AC: 12 (14 if not charging)
Rounds of rage left: 3

Lochar
2007-10-10, 02:49 PM
Kalinar looks to the others. "I'm going to see what's keeping Templar. If there are this many just trying to get through the kitchen, then there have to be a good number of them outside as well."

Kalinar calls the shadows to him, and the shadows answer. They draw up around him, forming insubstantial armor and shield. He then peers out the front door, if there are no zombies right outside, he walks out and stands there, looking for Templar and the others.

Steel Shadows used. Armor Bonus +3, Shield bonus +3.

HP: 8/8
AC: 18, Touch 12, FF 16
Mystery lasts for 10 minutes.

theterran
2007-10-10, 02:56 PM
Hector

Abandoning the kitchen, Hector nods.

"I will help if I can, I just hope the metalic man who ran upstairs will be ok."

Hector will follow Kalinar out the front.

Kyeudo
2007-10-10, 03:07 PM
In the bar room, the barkeep is currently taking charge, getting the patrons who haven't already fled up the stairs and getting those too drunk to care to stumble up the stairs.

Outside, things are caught between looking bad and looking good. Three of the initial zombies are down on the ground at the feet of Templar, Gronth, and Reshmar, but more are shambling around from the side and out from the alleys across from the inn.

Randel
2007-10-10, 03:11 PM
Jacinth

He agrees that with these windows that the kitchen is not an ideal battlefront. "I agree, lets retreat to the common room and barricade this door." His mind races as he considers if fleeing the tavern would be the best option. He then remembers that the half-elf cook is still in the room, terrified in the corner. "You! Elf! Get up and get out of here! Do you want to live to be a hundred or do you want to get eaten in the corner of a tavern kitchen?"

(Jacinth plans to get the cook out of the room if possible in one round. If there are no zombies standing in the room (not counting ones crawling through the window) he plans to run to the cooks side, grab her hand, and then run out of the door into the common room. If there is one zombie, he fires the loaded bolt from his crossbow into it and urges the cook to get up and run to the common room where he will follow.

My understanding is that he can either use two move actions (run to cook, drag her out the door) or one standard action, a free action, and a move action (attack zombie, tell cook to escape, run out the door)

Kyeudo
2007-10-10, 03:14 PM
Something finaly gets through to the cook, and she dashes from the room and up the stairs as Jacinth's bolt slams into the undead's chest. The zombie doesn't even seem to notice, though.

CockroachTeaParty
2007-10-10, 08:39 PM
Standing at the bottom of the stairs, the mithral warforged helps the patrons of the inn make their way to the second floor.
Are the Karrns attacking? Where are reinforcements?
Fall back to the upper levels! Noncombatants take priority!

Kyeudo
2007-10-11, 01:20 AM
Reshmar hammers down another blow with his walking staff at the last zombie within reach.

The zombie in the kitchen shambles closer to Jacinth, and attempts to sink its teeth into his shoulder.
Attack:[roll2]
Damage:[roll3]
The zombie in the window drags itself through and fall, cut up and bloody, to the floor.
Outside, the last of the origional zombies attempts to grapple with Templar (provoking an AoO), while the new pair charges Gronth and Reshmar. Three more zombies lurch from around the western corner of the inn and, most disturbing of all, one of the zombies that you though had fallen for good attempts to rise to its feet (but you do get AoOs on it for standing).

Zombie4 (against Templar)
Touch Attack:[roll4]
Grapple Check:[roll5]

Zombie7 (against Gronth)
Attack:[roll6]
Damage:[roll7]

Zombie8 (against Reshmar)
Attack:[roll8]
Damage:[roll9]

Reshmar's AoO on Zombie1
Attack:[roll10]
Damage:[roll11]

Templar attempts to behead the zombie, but his swing misses the staggering zombie.

Fetch covers the stairs as the inn patrons seek refuge on the second floor.

Kalinar uses his magic to armor himself against attacks before exiting the inn.

Gronth attempts to split a zombie in two, but fails to connect.

Hector follows Kalinar outside to assist.

Randel
2007-10-11, 02:22 AM
Jacinth

AC: 14 HP:9/12

"Gah!" Jacinth yelps in pain as the zombie bites him. He runs upstairs to take cover behind Fetch.

Curse my weak flesh. he thinks to himself until he realizes that he was bitten by the zombie.

This... could be a problem.

He checks the wound to see if there is any sign of infection and to prevent it if possible.

Heal Check: [roll0]

Lochar
2007-10-11, 05:52 AM
Kalinar picks whichever zombie appears to be the least hurt, calling upon the shadows once more. The converge on the creature, lashing out in an attempt to daze the creature.

NOW I'm burning an action point to get another use of Voice of Shadows back. DC 13 Will save.

Ganon11
2007-10-11, 08:50 AM
Gronth staggers from the zombies blow, only to see the first he dropped staggering to its feet. Finally, reason beats its way into the barbarians burning mind. "There are too many, and they are rising again!" he screams as he lunges out at the rising zombie, then swings around to attack the closest one that charged him. "We have to retreat to a better position!"

[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]
[roll4]
[roll5]

HP: 5/14
AC: 14

theterran
2007-10-11, 08:59 AM
Hector

Hector arrives at the front door and sees the mass of zombies. His jaw drops wide open as he stares at the sheer amount of undead.

It seems like all of the graveyards have been emptied, or the whole populace of this city is now undead...

Hector grimaces at the thought.
Noticing the three figures fighting against the horde of undead, Hector grasps his flame necklace once again and attempts to help the three being overwhelmed.

If they're within 60ft. I'm aiming at the closest one that's still intact :smallbiggrin:
Turning Check - [roll0] (Will turn undead up to 1 level higher than my cleric level)
Turning Damage - [roll1] (Will turn up to 10 HD of undead)
(edit)It's about time one of these things worked!

EvilRoeSlade
2007-10-11, 10:06 AM
Templar

On the contrary, I believe victory is within our grasp. Please continue to engage the enemy units.

Templar seems to be a good multi-tasker. Even as he speaks he impales the groping zombie on his sword, pushes it back, and aims another powerful slash.

I think that I'm the only one that gets an attack of opportunity against the zombie trying to grapple me, unless perhaps the others rolled AOOs for another reason.
[roll0]

EvilRoeSlade
2007-10-11, 10:09 AM
[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]

Kyeudo
2007-10-11, 11:44 PM
With the cook now safe, Jacinth breaks away from the zombie and heads up the stairs, examining his wound. Its too early to tell if the wound is infected, but the teeth of one of the undead are surely not the cleanest things in the world.

Reshmar swings at a blow at the newest zombie attacking him. "This isn't going to work. I suggest we find different tactics."

Templar slashes the zombie as it tries to grapple with him, driving it back. His follow-up blow misses the zombie by a hair.

Fetch continues to cover the stairwell as the last of the inn's patrons rushes past, up and away from the carnage out front and the zombies in the kitchen.

With great effort, Kalinar calls once more on his shadow magic, attempting to restrain one of the zombies. Will Save: [roll2] (Not a standard use of an action point, but I'll allow it this time.)

Gronth lays about with his battleaxe, stoping one zombie from rising in a hopefully permanent way and puting several large gashes in the new arrival.

Hector, drawing upon the depths of his soul, once more attempts to turn the undead that surround them on the street. His upraised holy symbol errupts with a pure, silver light and an almost palpable shockwave of positive energy sweeps across the street. The closest zombies recoil from the holy power and turn away, fleeing the light. (Zombies 4, 7, 8, and two of the zombies who just came around the corner begin to flee, so Gronth, Templar, and Reshmar get AoOs on them next round.)

EvilRoeSlade
2007-10-11, 11:56 PM
Templar

Templar's gaze shifts to Reshmar. "Indeed. However, we can't retreat at this point, it could be disastrous. Rather, we must discover a way to destroy the enemy units permanently. Please destroy the remains of the enemy units so that they can no longer rise. I will inflict as many casualties upon the retreating units as possible."

Templar strides towards the fleeing enemies and hacks at their backs.

[roll0]
[roll1]

Randel
2007-10-12, 01:07 AM
Jacinth

Jacinth wipes away at his wound and then takes out his crossbow. "It seems that this little thing isn't going to get the job done. Just need to make a few adjustments... this will take a minute I'm afraid. His brow furrows as he works to speed up the process.

Jacinth uses Personal Weapon Augmentation to give his crossbow the Undead bane (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/magicWeapons.htm#bane) property... I think I'll spend an action point to cast it in one round since otherwise it would take 10 rounds. I think that leaves me with 3 action points left.

Kyeudo
2007-10-12, 02:52 PM
(Someone insisted the zombies take their turns before running away, so here they are.)

The zombie pursues Jacinth to the stairway (as Jacinth failed to close the door on it), but Jacinth is much faster than the undead and makes it safely up the stairs. (Fetch probably gets to use his readied action here.) Thankfuly, all the people who remain in the inn have managed to get upstairs ahead of the zombie. The other zombie in the kitchen can't be seen, but you would assume it is getting up and coming towards the nearest live creatures.

Outside, the walking dead continue their mindless attacks. One attempts to grapple Templar, while the other two in close combat continue to try and bite at Reshmar and Gronth. Again, one of the fallen zombies attempts to rise (and so more AoOs for everyone). The zombies coming from arround the corner shamble closer, but thankfully do not get close enough to charge.

Zombie4 (Against Templar)
Touch Attack: [roll0]
Grapple Check: [roll1]

Zombie7 (Against Gronth)
Damage: [roll3]

Zombie8 (Against Reshmar)
Damage: [roll5]

EvilRoeSlade
2007-10-12, 03:39 PM
God I need Combat Reflexes.
Attack of opportunity the grappler, which I think I've hit twice so far.
[roll0]
[roll1]

CockroachTeaParty
2007-10-12, 04:15 PM
Seeing a zombie cross the threshold into the inn, the heavy crossbow of the mithral warforged fires straight away.
This is the readied action taking effect. For the next round Fetch will take a full round action to reload.
[roll0]
[roll1]

If firing into melee, subtract 4 from the attack roll.

Randel
2007-10-12, 07:12 PM
Jacinth

The artificer finishes his work on the crossbow and turns to fire it back at the zombie chasing him "Damm, did I leave that door open? Oh well, guess it just makes it easier for me to shoot."

He moves slightly behind and to the side of Fetch so that they are both facing the zombie. He fires the loaded bolt into the zombie.

Attack: [roll0] (+2 bonus from the undead bane infusion, +1 from dex)
Damage: [roll1](+2 bonus from the undead bane infusion)
Bonus Damage: [roll2] (extra damage due to infusion: undead bane which adds damage dealt to undead.)

Infusion has 10 minutes left.

Ganon11
2007-10-12, 09:17 PM
Dodging the clumsy blow of the zombie, Gronth slashes at it, then spins around as if by instinct to strike at the rising zombie. "I hate to say it, warforged, but we cannot win here! We need to retreat inside! You can stay out here and die if you like, but I refuse!"

[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]
[roll4]
[roll5]

Rounds left of rage: 1

Lochar
2007-10-13, 12:07 PM
Kalinar watches Templar and the other run towards the tavern. Nodding, he steps back inside, holding the door open for them.

Held action to slam the door shut once they're in.

theterran
2007-10-13, 09:07 PM
Hector

Glad to see the living come back to their senses, Hector steps back inside the inn just before the door is slammed shut.

"Someone check to see if the kitchen has been breached, if so, we'll have to make our stand upstairs."

Lochar
2007-10-13, 09:10 PM
"It was in the process of being breached when I left. Head upstairs, now." Kalinar says.

Kyeudo
2007-10-13, 10:22 PM
Jacinth works quickly to imbue his crossbow with energy disruptive to the undead, then loads it with a fresh quarrel.

Reshmar's walking staff crashes down once more, as he calls out, "I can't keep this up for much longer, and the axe warrior looks to be nearly exhausted. This is a fight we won't win, metal man."

Inside the inn, The zombie ascends the steep stairs, closing on Fetch and Jacinth at the top of the stairs. The other zombie from the kitchen shambles to the base of the stairs.
Outside, the wave of positive energy unleashed by Hector causes the remaining zombies on the street to turn and shamble away from the burning silver light of Hector's holy symbol. (AoOs for Gronth, Templar, and Reshmar.) As the wave of holy energy passes, one of the downed zombies again begins to rise, and was not affected by the turning.
From the darkness beyond the lamplight comes the sound of more stumbling footsteps, more than those you have just faced, both from the alleyways before you and from behind the inn itself. It seems your battle against the walking dead has drawn more attention.

Templar beheads the zombie that attempted to grapple him, then charges after the fleeing zombies, striking a solid blow against one of the fleeing corpses.

Fetch fires his crossbow into the undead that has lurched into sight from the kitchen, but bolt imbeds itself into the wall, just shy of the undead. The warforged quickly reloads.

Kalinar waits inside the inn's door, ready to close it once the others are back inside.

Gronth, his rage starting to ebb, continues to use his ax to devastating effect, and both the zombie attempting to rise and the zombie attempting to bite him go down to his brutal blows.

Hector steps back inside after driving back the nearest undead, and turns to see if the kitchen has been breached, only to see the second zombie enter the common room.

Kyeudo
2007-10-13, 10:24 PM
Forgot Reshmar's AoO against the fleeing zombies this time.

EDIT: This causes templars charging slash to drop another of the zombies.

Ganon11
2007-10-13, 11:37 PM
Satisfied at his handiwork and the fleeing zombies, Gronth takes a quick strike at one retreating, then turns and begins running back to the inn. I admire your courage, forged one, but there is no victory here! The druid is right!" As he finishes his run, the warrior noticeably tires, nearly stumbling through the door.

[roll0]
[roll1]

After this round, Gronth is out of rage. Stats on his char. sheet reflect those changes.

Randel
2007-10-14, 01:54 AM
Jacinth

The artificer quickly gets up and moves to a spot on the stairway where he can get a clear shot at the zombie without hitting Fetch. "Alright, hopefully this zombie bane enchantment should work with no problems" he takes aim at the zombie nearest them and fires a bolt at it, the magic of his crossbow making the shot more effective against the legions of the undead.

Attack: 11
Damge: 15 (regular: 9 bonus against undaed: 6)

EvilRoeSlade
2007-10-14, 10:44 AM
Templar

Templar moves back to one of the fallen zombies and grimly decapitates it.

CockroachTeaParty
2007-10-14, 12:34 PM
Removing a winch from his pack, the mithral warforged calmly places another bolt in his crossbow and begins winding the projectile into place.

theterran
2007-10-15, 10:46 AM
Hector

Must we trap ourselves upstairs? May the flame guide us.

Hector moves toward the warforged with the crossbow guarding the stairs.

"Upstairs everyone, we might be better able to fend them off in the confines of the stairway."

Kyeudo
2007-10-15, 09:59 PM
His work with the crossbow finished, Jacinth fires the bolt into the onrushing zombie, knocking the zombie off its feet. The corpse skitters down several stairs before lying still.

Reshmar, seeing Gronth begin to retreat towards the inn, also retreats, making it through the door just before the fatigued barbarian.

Inside, only one zombie remains. The undead begins to climb the stairs, lurching towards where Jacinth and Fetch guard the landing.
Outside, at least a dozen more of the animated corpses of former townsfolk are begining to come from the alleyways and streets surrounding the inn. The dead bodies of men, women, and even children move with the awkward jerky motion of the undead as their blank eyes fasten onto the warforged and his retreating companions. To make matters worse, another of the felled zombies again attempts to rise. (Free AoO for Templar)

Templar's sword cleaves through the neck of one of the zombies, hopefully leaving the corpse to rise no more.

Fetch reloads his heavy crossbow with cool precision, ignoring the undead moving up the stairs towards him.

Kalinar continues to hold the door, anxiously waiting for his allies to get inside before more of the undead come.

Gronth axe lashes out one last time at the rising zombie before he staggers towards the door of the inn, visibly drained.

Hector heads towards the stairs, only to find one of the walking dead blocking the way up.

Randel
2007-10-16, 03:30 AM
Jacinth

Jacinth reloads his crossbow and fires at the zombie heading up the stairs.

Bonus damage to undead: [roll2]

[9 minutes 54 seconds on undead bane infusion]

theterran
2007-10-16, 06:52 AM
Hector

Glancing around, Hector does a mental head count.

"Hey, where's the other metal man?!"

Hurrying back toward the door, Hector looks out to see if he's still out there and if he can offer any assistance.

Ganon11
2007-10-16, 08:46 AM
Stumbling inside, Gronth turns to look outside, seeing the warforged still standing outside. "Get inside here before they overwhelm you," he shouts as he draws his shortbow. Though his limbs were tired, he could still draw the bowstring, and he fired an arrow into one of the zombies nearest Templar.

I believe drawing a weapon is a move action, so I should be able to shoot.

[roll0]
[roll1]

Lochar
2007-10-16, 08:49 AM
Kalinar looks out the door at Templar, remembering something his father once yelled at a recalcitrant warforged. "Hey, Templar. Consider this an order from House Cannith. Retreat for repairs!"

Kalinar shakes his head. Although I don't have any offical rank with the House, and I'm not an artificer, hopefully Templar doesn't know this. Otherwise we'll be picking up scraps after this is all over.

EvilRoeSlade
2007-10-16, 10:35 AM
Templar

Templar swings at the zombie's leg as it rises.

[roll0]
[roll1]

Templar calmly shifts his gaze to Reshmar and Gronth. I suppose there are just too many of them.

He takes one last swing at the risen zombie and then backs away.

[roll2]
[roll3]

Kyeudo
2007-10-16, 04:31 PM
Jacinth fires another bolt from his enhanced crossbow into the next zombie's chest. The undead is knocked back by the force of the blow, but doesn't go down.

Reshmar charges up the stairs past Hector and, finding his way blocked by one of the walking dead, brings his staff down upon the zombie.

Inside, the remaining zombie on the stairs attempts to take a bite out of the warforged.
Damage: [roll3]
Outside, the zombies begin to converge upon Templar, as he is the only one still outside. The undead that just rose last round attempts to bite Templar as another of the dead begins to rise.
Damage: [roll5]

Templar attacks the rising zombies with the tireless precision of a warforged, but his sword fails to connect with the lurching undead. Finaly deciding that discretion is the better part of valor for now, and makes his retreat towards the inn.

Fetch takes a step back from the attacking undead and fires his crossbow. (Since CTP hasn't posted in the last day, I'll just NPC him for a sec to get the fight to continue.)
Attack: [roll6]
Damage: [roll7]

Gronth's arrow flies true, striking one of the pursuing zombies through it's undead eye. The zombie collapses as though its bones have suddenly become water and lays still.

As Templar finaly makes it back to the inn, Kalinar slams the door cloesed behind the warforged, almost clipping the fletchings of Gronth's arrow.

Ganon11
2007-10-16, 06:12 PM
With a sigh of relief that he is back inside, Gronth rushes up the stairs, only to be blocked by Reshmar fighting the lurching zombie. He growls with impatience, but tightens the grip on his axe in case his might is needed yet again.

Lochar
2007-10-16, 06:15 PM
Kalinar

Kalinar bars the door with whatever is easily available, before attempting to retreat upstairs.

Using my standard action to bar the door, chairs, tables, whatever. Movement to get to the stairs, past the zombie.

Randel
2007-10-17, 01:56 AM
Jacinth

Jacinth quickly reloads his crossbow and fires at the zombie again, his heart beating fast since this is the first time he has truly been in a combat situation. "Well, if it comes to being prepared, smart, or lucky... I just hope I'm smart enough."

Bonus damage to undead: [roll2]

9 min 48 seconds left

CockroachTeaParty
2007-10-17, 02:48 AM
Not willing to take the time to reload his crossbow again, the mithral warforged retreats up the stairs as far as he can manage.

theterran
2007-10-17, 05:08 AM
Hector

Hector retreats back to the stairs, and up them if possible, avoiding any zombies along the way if possible..

EvilRoeSlade
2007-10-17, 10:43 AM
Templar

Templar holds his shield to the side and charges the nearest zombie, sword held out.

[roll0]
[roll1]

Kyeudo
2007-10-17, 11:03 AM
Alright, we can drop out of inititive now. XP as soon as I get home to my notes.

Between Jacinth's crossbow, Reshmar's staff, and Templar's sword, the remaining zombie inside goes down hard.

Outside, Zombies begin to congregate arround the door, pounding on it with unnatural strength. So far, they arn't near any of the common room's window and so haven't made any move to break in that way.

Kalinar works to brace the inn's front door with tables and chairs, anything availible that could slow the zombies down in getting through the door.

CockroachTeaParty
2007-10-17, 12:25 PM
Reloading his crossbow, the mithral warforged shouts down the stairs.
Status report!

Lochar
2007-10-17, 12:34 PM
Kalinar

Kalinar yells back up the stairs. "All the dead in the building are dead again. We've got visitors trying to get in the door though, so I'm barring it. Come down here and make sure the zombies in here won't rise again!"

Ganon11
2007-10-17, 12:46 PM
Listening to Kalinar's report, Gronth nods and begins helping with the task of beheading the fallen zombies. "There are countless monsters outside - I can only hope we may defend ourselves adequately here. Any who are capable of fighting, I urge to come downstairs that we may be ready to defend ourselves if the beasts get inside."

EvilRoeSlade
2007-10-17, 01:07 PM
Templar

Templar nods solemnly. We have to board up the doors and windows. Use the floorboards from the stairway. He steps over to the stairs leading to the second floor and begins carefully, precisely, and quickly dismantling them, starting from the top.

Randel
2007-10-17, 01:36 PM
Jacinth

"I was bitten by one of the zombies a little bit ago, I don't think its infected ... but just wanted to let you guys know. Oh, and I enchanted my crossbow to be more effective against the undead when I fire it... However I'm not skilled enough to enchant any other weapons and the infusion will wear off in about 9 and a half minutes I can enchant it again but it will take a minute."

Jacinth moves into the common room and loads his crossbow. He checks the doors and windows for cracks or holes that he might be able to fire through to get the zombies while they are still outside.

He finally turns to the two warforged. "Do either of you need repairs?" he was about to ask Templar if the Queen still needs rescuing but decided against it, lest the warforged decide to run out the door again.

EvilRoeSlade
2007-10-17, 01:43 PM
Templar

Templar shakes his head as he works. No need for maintanence yet. It will take a lot more than this to damage this body of mine. Please assist with the barricades.

Randel
2007-10-17, 02:08 PM
Jacinth

Jacinth helps with the barricade using his masterwork artisans tools for a +2 bonus on making barricades.

Kyeudo
2007-10-17, 03:08 PM
After beheading the two zombies on the stairs, Gronth finds himself in an odd position of command. Gronth's attempt to rally aid from the inn patrons has garnered several human volunteers: a pair of rough-looking toughs with an assortment of fighing scars and the three guardsmen, all still equipped with chain shirts and shortswords. One of the guardsmen seems to be somewhat in charge. "I'm Corporal Haviars. What do you want us to do?"

Meanwhile, Kalinar and Jacinth have overturned several tables and used them to brace the door as best they can, and the door seems to be holding, for now. Templar's work on the stairs is producing a fair number of boards long enough that they might cover the windows, though it is making traversing the stairs a little more difficult, not a bad side effect given the cicumstances.

Ganon11
2007-10-18, 09:05 AM
Gronth looked up from his work with the zombies, almost surprised that these people were looking to him for leadership. Especially the guards...if this man was their Corporal, why didn't he give them orders?

Well, there was no avoiding the situation. The trouble was, Gronth hadn't been thinking of any set plans; he merely wanted to have able fighters at the ready for their defense. But if he had men to use, why not use them?

"You," he started, trying to sound sure of himself and pointing at Haviers, "take your men into the kitchen. See how the doors and windows are holding up. If they need reinforcement, I trust you three will be strong enough to handle it. You two," he continued, now pointing at the thuggish ones, "can help me and this warforged board up the windows. We need to take boards from anywhere unnecessary to our defense, but let's not take too much more from the stairs, or we won't be able to navigate the damned things." With that, Gronth moved to help Templar, if only to get away from the speaking position he had been in.

Randel
2007-10-18, 12:09 PM
Jacinth

The artificer looks up from his work and quietly talks to Gronth, "Actually, the kitchen is probably full of zombies, they were crawling through the windows when we evacuated it and we shoved a cabinet (darn heavy one at that) in front of the outside door to sort of slow them down. It would probably be best to just board up the door that leads into it than to worry about several broken windows. If we take as many steps from the stairs as possible than we might have a hard time using them but the zombies would have just as hard or even a harder time going up in case we have to abandon this room as well."

The thinks for a second. "Actually, if we secure a rope at the top of the stairs... and remove the stairs entirely we could use all the wood to board up the doors and windows then climb up the rope to the attic and pull up the rope so they can't follow us (even if they could actually climb a rope in the first place.) Might want to tie a few knots at 1-foot increments to act as handles to make it easier to climb... eh, just a few suggestions." he says, hurriedly getting back to work lest he start rambling.

He checks the door again to see if there is a hole he might be able to fire a bolt from his crossbow through and then gets back to work on the barricade.

EvilRoeSlade
2007-10-18, 12:20 PM
Templar

Templar glances up from his work. Indeed. I am dismantling the stairs entirely. I doubt these things are smart enough to get past such an obstacle.

Kyeudo
2007-10-19, 11:15 PM
OOC: Corporal is a low rank, especialy in the city guard. He would only be in charge of a small squad at the most and would take his orders from a sergant.

The barricading of the door is done as best as a couple of tables can provide. The zombies seem to still be being drawn to the building from what you can see out the window, though not as swiftly as they were coming during the fight outside. The window nearest the door is starting to become a danger, as you can begin to see the outer edge of the crowd of zombies building up around the doorway. (I've assumed that you've stayed away from the windows so far)

With Gronth, Templar, and the two thugs working on the stairway it's begining to look like a boxer's teeth after too many rounds in the ring (lots of gaps). The pile of boards to be used to try and close off the windows is building up quite quickly. If anyone is going to tie a rope off at the top, they'd better do that before too many more boards are removed.

Corporal Haviars and his men check the kitchen carefully and report back quickly. There are no zombies in the kitchen currently. The undead seem to have moved around to the front after the humans left the kitchen.

(BTW, what is everyone's hit points? I didn't keep track of anyone's but Reshmar's)

Randel
2007-10-20, 02:04 AM
Jacinth

Satisfied that the door is secure, Jacinth looks at the stairway again and quickly gets a length of rope (either by asking one of the NPC's or getting the silk rope from Kalinar) and then ties one end to a sturdy support beam "If the windows and kitchen door haven't been boarded up, it would be a good idea to start on them.

taking 10 on the Use Rope check to make sure its done right

CockroachTeaParty
2007-10-20, 02:45 AM
((Fetch has taken no damage.))

The mithral warforged aids in the fortification process as best he can.
I did not know the Karrns utilized siege warfare in such a manner. Where are the more advanced undead units? And their human retainers? This tactic seem unorthodox.

theterran
2007-10-21, 06:55 AM
Hp 8/8
I'm a pansy and run from battle :smallredface:

Kyeudo
2007-10-22, 11:10 AM
As Jacinth secures Kalinar's rope to the support beam, the guardsmen grab some of the stair boards and several of Jacinth's tools and head back to the kitchen.

As the sounds of hammering begin to come from the kitchen, the party begins to work on boarding up the front windows. At the first sign of motion on the other side of the window, the zombies surge towards the window, smashing the glass with their heavy fists and attempting to crawl through. Luckily, they are getting in one anothers way, for the moment at least.

Inititive Time!

theterran
2007-10-22, 11:13 AM
Hector

"Is there no end to these abominations?"

Hector helps in whatever way he can to fortify the inn.

[roll0]
Wow...a Nat 20

EvilRoeSlade
2007-10-22, 11:24 AM
Templar

[roll0]

Templar strides toward the window, neither slow nor swift but at a calm and steady pace. When he arrives, he faces the groping zombies. "Stay calm. I'll protect you." Sword drawn, he slashes at the oncoming horde.

Randel
2007-10-22, 12:04 PM
Jacinth

"What the... well I think we are running out of things to fortify." He turns around and asks the barkeep upstairs with him. "Listen, is there a way to climb up onto the roof from here? And perhaps then move from building to building? Just asking in case we have to make an unorthodox evacuation." He tosses down the free end of the silk rope to the first floor below.

He checks his crossbow to see how long his infusion has left, and if it is more than none, he then climbs down the rope to the common room and moves to a position where he can cover as many of the broken windows as possible.

Ganon11
2007-10-22, 12:36 PM
Gronth hears the brutes hammering on the windows, and hammering from the kitchen. Damn it, I'm too weak to keep fighting!. Sighing loudly and angrily, he pulls another arrow to the ready.

[roll0]

Lochar
2007-10-22, 12:39 PM
Kalinar curses. "This is getting entirely overdone."

Kalinar takes a perch on the second floor, crossbow out and aimed at the window.

CockroachTeaParty
2007-10-23, 01:46 PM
I second the notion of retreating to the rooftops.
The mithral warforged makes sure his crossbow is loaded and ready.
[roll0]

Kyeudo
2007-10-23, 03:24 PM
Reshmar's inititive:[roll0]
Zombies' inititive:[roll1]

Kyeudo
2007-10-23, 03:40 PM
I'll assume that all of you who haven't noted yourselves on the second floor are on the ground floor.

Inititive 22: Kalinar

Inititive 22: Fetch

Inititive 16: Hector

Inititive 13: Jacinth (You still have about 5-6 minutes left of Undead Bane left.)

Inititive 12: Reshmar (His Shillelagh spell is gone now, so he'll be using one of his daggers.)

Inititive 11: Gronth (Since you've had enough time to catch your breath, you are no longer fatigued, as per the Rage rules.)

Inititive 10: Templar (The zombies are currently attacking through the front window, although there could be zombie trouble from the kitchen later.)

Inititive 8: Zombies

Randel
2007-10-24, 12:22 PM
Jacinth

Jacinth fires his crossbow at one of the zombies crawling through the windows, targeting the one closest to the stairway. "Yeah, it seems that simply hiding in the attic works best when you have plenty of food and water in stock for the people hiding. If we can travel on the rooftops its likely that we can avoid the zombies and escape... perhaps even get picked up by an airship."

Bonus Damage: [roll2]

5 minutes 48 seconds of undead bane left

Lochar
2007-10-24, 12:28 PM
AC: 17 T: 11, FF: 16 (Shadowy armor, roughly same amount of time left as the bane thing)

Kalinar

"Pfft. If we can stay alive long enough to get rescued."

Kalinar fires a bolt at the a nearby zombie.

[roll0] Burn a action point for [roll1] to the die roll, if it's not 19 or 20.
Damage: [roll2]

theterran
2007-10-24, 12:35 PM
Hector

Hector grasps at his necklace, and begins calling on the power of the flame to give him strength while moving his hand in a distinct pattern.

Hector becomes illuminated by a radiance of bright light. After a moment of concentrating, the light becomes focused around Hector's arm.

Cast Nimbus Light, then use a move action to focus it around my arm.

Init: 16
AC:15

EvilRoeSlade
2007-10-24, 01:32 PM
If the zombies aren't in the kitchen, I won't go in the kitchen. Sorry I misunderstood your post. I edited my last one so that templar is going toward the window to meet the zombies. If he can get there with his 20 movement, he makes an attack. [roll0]
[roll1]

Templar stands his ground, sword rising and falling like a woodsman's axe, relying fully on his sturdy shield and seemingly indestructible body.

[roll2]
[roll3]

Ganon11
2007-10-24, 02:03 PM
His view obstructed, Gronth growls and replaces his bow upon his back, drawing once again his mighty axe. Seeing the way already blocked by Templar, and others moving to help him, Gronth gets ready to fight anything that gets past the others.

Being really low on HP, Gronth is going to try and stay removed from the melee of this fight. I'm preparing a Readied Action to charge at the first zombie I have a clear path to that enters the building.

CockroachTeaParty
2007-10-25, 01:52 PM
Ranged attacks seem ineffective! We must retreat!
Fetch will search for the entrance to the attic, or perhaps some other method of getting to the rooftops.

Kyeudo
2007-10-25, 03:19 PM
The innkeeper, hearing Jacinth's shouted question, responds. "There isn't any attic. The space between the second floor and the roof tiles is empty. If you want to get up there, you'd have to climb out a window or something."

From the second floor, Kalinar fires at the zombies through the window, but the bolt imbeds itself in the window frame.

On the second floor, Fetch searches the outer rooms for a window from which he might be able to access the

Hector calls upon his diety's aid, and his faith is rewarded. Radient silver light begins to glow around Hector's arm.

From the second floor, Jacinth fires at the undead as well, but his shot does no better than Kalinar's.

Reshmar, down on the ground floor, draws a pair of daggers, ready to attack any zombies that make it into the room.

Gronth stands away from the window, warily watching for any of the walking dead to enter the building.

Templar strides to the window, and lashes out at the zombies on the other side with a brutal thrust. His blow strikes true, the keen edge of his sword ripping into undead flesh.

One of the undead final disentangles itself from the others and begins to drag itself through the window. The rest press in behind it, struggling to be the next through.

EvilRoeSlade
2007-10-25, 03:45 PM
Templar

Your ranged attacks are useless. Please find another way to assist me, or retreat. I shall remain here until either everyone is evacuated safely, or the attack is thwarted.

True to his word, Templar continues his aggressive techniques, giving the sprawled zombie room to stand even as he lays into it.

[roll0]
[roll1]

Randel
2007-10-26, 01:55 AM
Jacinth

Jacinth quickly reloads his crossbow and fires again at the zombie that just got inside. "I'll help Templar fight these zombies down here. Have the guys in the kitchen climb the rope to the second floor and we can follow you up if things get too rough down here."

Bonus Damage: [roll2]

5 minutes 42 seconds of undead bane left

CockroachTeaParty
2007-10-26, 02:30 AM
The mithral warforged pulls open the nearest window, and attempts to scramble up onto the roof.
Rope may be needed!
I'm going to climb this like a... climby thing that climbs things that need climbing.
[roll0]
[roll1]

Ganon11
2007-10-27, 08:54 PM
Seeing the zombie crawl through the window, Gronth charges at it, swinging wildly, his limbs full of vigor once more.

I believe this is the readied action from last round kicking in, in which case I get a second attack on the thing? I'll wait for confirmation before rolling a 2nd attack.

[roll0]
[roll1]

Kyeudo
2007-10-27, 09:01 PM
Yep, that was your readied action. Swing again. :smallsmile:

Lochar
2007-10-27, 11:18 PM
Kalinar nods. "Get out while the getting is good, people!" He starts retreating to an exit.

theterran
2007-10-28, 08:21 PM
Seeing it hopeless, Hector fires his spell at the closest undead before retreating toward the rope to the second floor.

Ranged Touch: [roll0]
[roll1]

Kyeudo
2007-10-30, 05:44 PM
OOC: I just realized I was waiting on myself. :smallredface: Oh well, gave Team Two some chances to catch up.

From the second floor, Kalinar moves away from the landing, so that others may pass more easily.

On the second floor, Fetch attempts to climb the face of the brick wall, but as he attempts to climb over the eaves, he loses his grip and falls. (Make a Reflex Save.)

The light around Hector surges out in a brilliant bolt of holy light. The bolt slams into the undead, causing its muscles to spasm, but the thing continues to drag itself into the room. He then heads for the rope, and begins climbing.

From the second floor, Jacinth scores a hit on the zombie with his crossbow. The undead shudders as the bolt's disruptive energies enter its body and abruptly stops moving.

Reshmar hustles to the kitchen. "We're abandoning the lower level. Hurry!"

Gronth charges towards the zombie, but his axe misses its target when the thing suddenly goes limp.

Templar strikes at the zombie crawling through the window, but his overhead swing lodges in the window frame. Templar pulls the blade free and steps away from the window as the undead grabs at the warforged.

Outside, the undead push and pull at the corpse now blocking the window. The corpse's bones begin to snap under the force of the zombies' clutches, but for now the zombies are making no further progress.

EvilRoeSlade
2007-10-30, 05:48 PM
Templar casts aside his sword and kneels down, picking up a spare board and beginning to reseal the window.

Lochar
2007-10-30, 05:57 PM
Kalinar stows his crossbow and starts moving towards the rooftop exit.

CockroachTeaParty
2007-10-31, 12:17 AM
[roll0]
[roll1]

Randel
2007-10-31, 02:30 AM
Jacinth

Jacinth reloads his crossbow and moves aside to let Hector climb up it.

"Kalinar, Is this a 50-foot rope? I'd say it takes about 15 or 20 feet to reach down to the first floor. We should have enough left to secure here and maybe make a ladder up to the roof and prevent people from falling..." He looks back to see Fetch fall out the window "Uh, when they safely climb out the window. (don't worry, I'm sure we'll work the kinks out before we send anyone living)"

He looks back at the stairway to make sure that its too difficult for either humans or zombies to travel on.

5 minutes 36 seconds of undead bane left

Lochar
2007-10-31, 08:03 AM
"Yes, the finest silk, fifty feet of it. Do what you need to with it."

Ganon11
2007-10-31, 10:45 AM
Gronth moves next to the mighty warforged, readying his axe to strike at any undead crawling through while Templar boards up the doors. "The others are abandoning the inn, forged one. We should fall back soon as well, lest we remain alone in the place, surrounded."

EvilRoeSlade
2007-10-31, 10:56 AM
I know, says Templar as he works. But I cannot leave until every civilian is safe. Even if it means my destruction, I will protect them.

Kyeudo
2007-10-31, 11:17 AM
Kalinar heads to the nearest open window, just in time to see a silvery warforged fall past the opening.

Fetch plumets by the window, but manages to catch himself on the window sill at the last moment. The warforged dangles by one hand mere feet above the clutching hands of the mass of undead outside the door. The window frame groans under the sudden strain of the heavy warforged, but holds . . . for now.

Hector ascends the rope as quickly as could be expected, and pull himself up onto the second floor landing.

Jacinth helps Hector to the landing while reloading his crossbow.

Reshmar leaves the kitchen and heads to the rope, Corporal Haviars and his men in tow. (I am assuming the pair of toughs are already upstairs after dismantling the stairs.)

Gronth moves to cover Templar as the warforged stubbornly goes to work on boarding up the window.

Templar discards his sword and begins to work to try and reseal the window. His work is hampered by the corpse hanging half in and half out the window.

Outside, most of the undead have become distracted by the silver warforged dangling above them. They swarm underneath Fetch, straining to reach him and drag him down, but thankfully the warforged is several feet above them. Some of the zombies, however, still work to push their way past the corpse wedged in the window, hungry to sink their teeth into those on the other side.

Lochar
2007-10-31, 11:25 AM
Kalinar steps back for a moment as the warforged plunges past, but seeing that he managed to grab hold of the windowsill, takes heart.

"Hold on a moment, once the others get up stairs, we'll have the rope available to pull you up."

EvilRoeSlade
2007-10-31, 11:40 AM
Templar works around the corpse dangling in the window, attempting to incorporate it into the structure.

Randel
2007-10-31, 03:23 PM
Jacinth

Jacinth turns around and notices that Fetch is still clutching the window sill. "Uh oh, wait. Let's use one of these blankets... the rope will have to stay until we can evacuate the first floor. Here, help me hold this." He grabs one of the sturdier looking blankets on the beds and hangs it out the window, hopefully within easy reach of the warforged. He lowers his end so that the window sill acts like a winch (absorbs most of the weight), grabs on tight to his end and braces for the weight of the warforged.

The blankets large surface area should allow plenty of people to help him bear the weight.

As he braces to help the warforged up he says. "Note to self... always carry rope... or a really long tough scarf."

Lochar
2007-10-31, 03:26 PM
Kalinar moves to help Jacinth, nodding. Rope is like a towel, if you have it, you're always good to go."

Aid another attempt, assuming it's Str. [roll0]

Why are the two weak caster types attempting str checks again? :P

CockroachTeaParty
2007-10-31, 04:07 PM
The warforged's stone and metal fingers dig into the failing window sill.
Use caution! Together with my equipment, I weigh exactly 226.3 pounds! I will try to raise myself back into the building! Make way!
[roll0]
[roll1]

theterran
2007-11-02, 06:03 AM
Hector

Seeing the Warforged hanging out the window, Hector yells.

"How did you manage to wind up out there?!"

Seeing that he is attempting to scale the outside wall to get back into the window, Hector moves out of the way.

If he fails to pull himself up, Hector will help if it's possible. ((Since Xbows don't seem to have much of an effect on these undead, I'm pretty much useless other than healing the wounded.))

Kyeudo
2007-11-02, 11:17 AM
With Kalinar and Jacinth's help, Fetch hauls himself back through the window.

Reshmar and the guards begin to climb the rope, as quickly as they can.

Templar continues his work, dispite the commontion, while Gronth continues to be on guard for the zombies to break through again. (BTW, how do you incorporate a corpse into a boarded up window?)

With Fetch no longer dangling out the window like a tasty morsel, the undead return to the window, trying to get in at the warforged and the human beyond.

theterran
2007-11-02, 11:19 AM
(BTW, how do you incorporate a corpse into a boarded up window?)

Very Carefully :smallbiggrin: