PDA

View Full Version : Evil person wears Protection from Evil... how's that work again?

inexorabletruth
2019-02-12, 07:39 AM
We've seen Belkar do it. And now one of my players is doing it.

He found a ring of Protection from Evil, and he's evil aligned. And I cannot remember what that does to a player, stat-wise. Does it affect his combat ability in any way, or just make him itchy (which is the way I fluffed the discord between his alignment and the ring's alignment so far)?

My google-fu has failed me, and I need the help of the Playground before he enters a room in the dungeon with actual enemies in it.

Uncle Pine
2019-02-12, 08:06 AM
Assuming the ring of Protection from Evil is just a continuous item granting the effect of the spell of the wearer, nothing particularly odd would happen (although making Evil creatures feeling itchy sounds like a nice piece of fluff to attach to such an item):

Protection from Evil
Abjuration [Good]
Level: Clr 1, Good 1, Pal 1, Sor/Wiz 1
Components: V, S, M/DF
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Range: Touch
Target: Creature touched
Duration: 1 min./level (D)
Saving Throw: Will negates (harmless)
Spell Resistance: No; see text
This spell wards a creature from attacks by evil creatures, from mental control, and from summoned creatures. It creates a magical barrier around the subject at a distance of 1 foot. The barrier moves with the subject and has three major effects.

First, the subject gains a +2 deflection bonus to AC and a +2 resistance bonus on saves. Both these bonuses apply against attacks made or effects created by evil creatures.

Second, the barrier blocks any attempt to possess the warded creature (by a magic jar attack, for example) or to exercise mental control over the creature (including enchantment (charm) effects and enchantment (compulsion) effects that grant the caster ongoing control over the subject, such as dominate person). The protection does not prevent such effects from targeting the protected creature, but it suppresses the effect for the duration of the protection from evil effect. If the protection from evil effect ends before the effect granting mental control does, the would-be controller would then be able to mentally command the controlled creature. Likewise, the barrier keeps out a possessing life force but does not expel one if it is in place before the spell is cast. This second effect works regardless of alignment.

Third, the spell prevents bodily contact by summoned creatures. This causes the natural weapon attacks of such creatures to fail and the creatures to recoil if such attacks require touching the warded creature. Good summoned creatures are immune to this effect. The protection against contact by summoned creatures ends if the warded creature makes an attack against or tries to force the barrier against the blocked creature. Spell resistance can allow a creature to overcome this protection and touch the warded creature.

Arcane Material Component
A little powdered silver with which you trace a 3-foot -diameter circle on the floor (or ground) around the creature to be warded.
So +2 AC and +2 saves against attacks from Evil creatures, protection against mind control/possession effects, and protection against nonGood summoned creatures. While an extremely preposterous RAW reading could suggest that to take any action an Evil creature would have to exercise mental control over itself - meaning that an Evil creature wearing this ring could take no action - I think it's quite farfetched. Especially if you consider that it would also turn Protection from Evil into a (harmless) save-or-suck spell against any Evil opponent. So really, the ring should work just fine for your player.

denthor
2019-02-12, 10:09 AM
Nothing the spell works as intended.

I am an evil orc facing an evil orc.

Protection from evil is cast on me the spell works. I get an armor class boost.

Segev
2019-02-12, 10:16 AM
Indeed, the various protection from [alignment] spells protect you regardless of your own alignment. Mechanically, nothing in the spell says they shouldn't. Thematically, they're not infusing you with anything malignant to your soul, just providing you with a specialized field of protection that keeps others of that alignment from being as effective. It's not even a force field under most circumstances. Just "protection."

Malphegor
2019-02-12, 10:39 AM
In theory the item could probably block the specific spells mentioned the evil person casts on themselves I guess? But that's really awkward and solveable by taking it off for a few seconds if you really want to charm yourself or posess yourself.

Telonius
2019-02-12, 11:26 AM
Protection from Evil (link to the SRD here (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/protectionFromEvil.htm)) doesn't have any negative effects if the target happens to be Evil. All it does, is give a+2 deflection bonus to AC and +2 Resistance to saves to attacks and effects made by Evil creatures. It also prevents any creature (Good, Evil, or Neutral) from possessing it or exercising mental control over it. Finally, it prevents Evil and Neutral summoned creatures from attacking it.

It's actually a pretty sensible spell for villains to have up. Particularly if you're more worried about your minions (or boss, or fellow bad guys, for that matter) than about any random adventurers coming in and spoiling your fun.

Particle_Man
2019-02-12, 09:35 PM
A popular effect for soldiers in the Blood War? :smallsmile:

inexorabletruth
2019-02-13, 10:01 PM
Awesome! Thank you!