PDA

View Full Version : What Should My Background Be For A Stout Halfling Vengence Pally

BigPixie
2019-02-12, 08:48 AM
So I roll this random character and I was wondering what background I should do.

Blood of Gaea
2019-02-12, 11:38 AM
Might as well roll a random background if the rest is also random.

JeenLeen
2019-02-12, 11:41 AM
You could look at whatever gaps there are in skill proficiencies that you'd like to make up for, and choose a background based on that.

That said, going for one with thieves' tools could be neat. Maybe a poor or criminal upbringing was part of what led him on the path to being a paladin. And being able to quietly get passed locked doors could go with the cliches of halflings and with the "do what is needed" of Vengeance Paladins. Could work to play it like an assassin, though with paladin offense.

If you like knowing a lot of languages, several give 2 languages. Depending on his focus of vengenace, such could be handy.

BlizzardMayne
2019-02-12, 11:47 AM
One of my favorite characters wasa Vengeance Paladin with an Urchin background. Basically he was Batman, a tragic backstory that led to his teachings in a temple. Then he exacted justice as his oath.

Ganymede
2019-02-12, 11:50 AM
You're the former sheriff of a halfling community that was robbed blind by a conniving doppelganger. Taking responsibility for this screw-up, you led your impoverished community to the walls of Waterdeep in hopes of a fresh start.

CTurbo
2019-02-12, 12:00 PM
Coincidentally enough, once I rolled a random character and I was a Stout Halfling Vengeance Paladin with the Urchin background. All random including the stats(had great stats everywhere except for the 12 Cha) and even rolled a random free feat which I got Magic Initiate for Minor Illusion, Firebolt, and Find Familiar(DM let me have an Imp). We even rolled for alignment(LE).

It's funny how much fun this character was considering how totally random it was. This was easily one of my top 3 favorite most memorable characters.

But yeah I agree with you may as well roll up the background too if that fits the style of creation.

Zanthy1
2019-02-12, 01:25 PM
If Guildmaster's Guide to Ravnica is available, I will always recommend a background from there for a few simple reasons.

First, I love MtG lore and the game so I really enjoy all the guilds

Second, these backgrounds come with additional spells. Not spell slots mind you, but still you get a handful of spells added to you available ones which can add some nice versatility.

Third, the regular background features are also really cool, though can be specific to a guild, are easily flavorable to something else.

If no GGR, then go with Hermit. You swore vengeance on something that moved one of your rock chairs a couple inches to the left.

opaopajr
2019-02-12, 02:32 PM
Phlan Refugee or Insurgent.

Nidgit
2019-02-12, 05:50 PM
Sage. Plenty of unusual wrongs you could be swearing vengeance for, or just be a utilitarianist philosopher.

Naanomi
2019-02-12, 08:32 PM
Charlatan, pass yourself off as a human child; get vengeance on people not expecting a dangerous kid; or even target creepy adults who are too... interested... in you

Max_Killjoy
2019-02-12, 09:00 PM
Tell us about the character.

Not about the in-system cookie-cutter build parts -- about the character.

PhoenixPhyre
2019-02-12, 09:16 PM
Tell us about the character.

Not about the in-system cookie-cutter build parts -- about the character.

Agreed. Race and "build" are the least important parts of a character IMO. I can have multiple human fighters with the same feats who are very different people.

That said... If everything else is random, why not background and personality?