PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Rogue Bomber Build 3.5

tstewt1921
2019-02-12, 12:17 PM
So I had an idea about building a Rogue (Halfling) that uses potions/flasks and what not to sneak in and throw at enemies as an alpha strike type option, basically adding the flask/potion damage plus sneak attack. After the initial throw he would probably go for flanking for extra sneak attack damage.

If you want stats, the stat array we would get to use would be 18,16,14,14,12,10 (placed however we want). Our DM allows us 2 feats at first level, he gives everyone the human extra feat in exchange for humans getting to put +2 -2 where ever they want on the stats.

I know I'll want to pick up a wand of ghost/golem strike to be able to sneak attack undead/constructs. I'm also open to flaws as well, no more than 2. I'm also pretty set on Halfling, but willing to hear other race options if desired. As far level, we would probably go to 15, but no need to make a build all the way to there unless you want, just some ideas are fine.

My big question I want to know is what kind of "bombs" I can make that I can throw at the enemy. I would probably take craft potion or whatever to make my own "bombs" and such but what can I throw other than acid flasks/alchemist fire?

DEMON
2019-02-12, 03:29 PM
My big question I want to know is what kind of "bombs" I can make that I can throw at the enemy. I would probably take craft potion or whatever to make my own "bombs" and such but what can I throw other than acid flasks/alchemist fire?

Hold my beer...

Link. (https://orbitalflower.github.io/rpg/rules/dnd3-extended-alchemy-items-list.html)

Let go of my beer!

tstewt1921
2019-02-12, 05:27 PM
Hold my beer...

Link. (https://orbitalflower.github.io/rpg/rules/dnd3-extended-alchemy-items-list.html)

Let go of my beer!

"Gives a second beer"

tstewt1921
2019-02-12, 07:36 PM
Hold my beer...

Let go of my beer!

Dumb question, do I have to have the Brew Potion feat to make those? Or is it strictly craft alchemy?

Saintheart
2019-02-12, 10:41 PM
Dumb question, do I have to have the Brew Potion feat to make those? Or is it strictly craft alchemy?

What, the beers?

Vizzerdrix
2019-02-12, 11:10 PM
Hold my beer...

Let go of my beer!

The list lacks shapesand. The best non magical item in the game.

If you want to push the alchemical aspect, A&EG has the gnome calculus for some extra range and to enchant you attacks, and one of the eberron books has the alchemist blade to add a flask to a melee hit.

Saintheart
2019-02-12, 11:24 PM
Since you're throwing stuff a lot, consider Magical Training for the 0-level cantrip Launch Item, which essentially removes all range increments for stuff you throw. Also works with Rogue because Magical Training arguably makes you qualify to cast from wands and scrolls without having to spend skill points on UMD.

Warchon
2019-02-13, 08:36 AM
If you are open to a creative interpretation of "bombs" you could always take a one level dip into Cleric, grab the Deathbound domain and the following feats.

Fell Animate (optional)
Divine Metamagic (optional)
Corpsecrafter
Destructive Retribution

You can do this at L1 with flaws (or without flaws if you use some other method to make undead--there are LOTS)
Then turn every rat and bunny you find into a skeleton and toss them in a bag.
Drop them from height on your opponents if able. The falling damage will kill them instantly and they'll explode for 1d8 AoE damage each.

Even with only one caster level you can carry a dozen of these bonebombs around--six if you are using Fell Animate--and if you're paying onyx costs at all they only cost 6-13 gp apiece.

But. Um. Good luck convincing your DM you deserve sneak attack damage.

tstewt1921
2019-02-13, 02:14 PM
Since you're throwing stuff a lot, consider Magical Training for the 0-level cantrip Launch Item, which essentially removes all range increments for stuff you throw. Also works with Rogue because Magical Training arguably makes you qualify to cast from wands and scrolls without having to spend skill points on UMD.

Magical training only allows mage hand, dancing lights, and daze. Unless I'm missing something.

tstewt1921
2019-02-13, 02:15 PM
If you are open to a creative interpretation of "bombs" you could always take a one level dip into Cleric, grab the Deathbound domain and the following feats.

Fell Animate (optional)
Divine Metamagic (optional)
Corpsecrafter
Destructive Retribution

You can do this at L1 with flaws (or without flaws if you use some other method to make undead--there are LOTS)
Then turn every rat and bunny you find into a skeleton and toss them in a bag.
Drop them from height on your opponents if able. The falling damage will kill them instantly and they'll explode for 1d8 AoE damage each.

Even with only one caster level you can carry a dozen of these bonebombs around--six if you are using Fell Animate--and if you're paying onyx costs at all they only cost 6-13 gp apiece.

But. Um. Good luck convincing your DM you deserve sneak attack damage.

That's hilarious, I don't think I will be dipping cleric but this is a very creative way to have bombs lol.

liquidformat
2019-02-13, 03:54 PM
Magical training only allows mage hand, dancing lights, and daze. Unless I'm missing something.
afb there are two different versions I believe Player's Guide to Faerūn is the one you want to look at and not Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting.

Anyways here are things to look at for thrower builds:
halfling paragon class (adds throwing damage and dex)
Master Thrower (tricks to throw multiple flasks at once among other thing)
flick of the wrist (quick draw to catch people flatfooted)
There is also a skill trick that is helpful but can't remember the name

tstewt1921
2019-02-13, 05:41 PM
afb there are two different versions I believe Player's Guide to Faerūn is the one you want to look at and not Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting.

Anyways here are things to look at for thrower builds:
halfling paragon class (adds throwing damage and dex)
Master Thrower (tricks to throw multiple flasks at once among other thing)
flick of the wrist (quick draw to catch people flatfooted)
There is also a skill trick that is helpful but can't remember the name

Flick of the wrist is strictly melee it seems, I'd have to get clearance with my DM to see if it would work for ranged as well. I think it's the skill trick that may do it for ranged.

I think for sure I'm taking the Mad Alchemist feat. For one of the abilities to ready a thunder stone to interrupt casters.

liquidformat
2019-02-13, 06:01 PM
Flick of the wrist is strictly melee it seems, I'd have to get clearance with my DM to see if it would work for ranged as well. I think it's the skill trick that may do it for ranged.

I think for sure I'm taking the Mad Alchemist feat. For one of the abilities to ready a thunder stone to interrupt casters.
Weird I Could have sworn it didn't specify attack mode, lame...

Heck Fiery Blaze, gives you an extra 1d6 fire damage if you hit a target with alchemist fire two rounds in a row. Interestingly the fact that it uses strike without mention of direct target might mean by RAW everyone who takes splash damage two turns in a row might also trigger the 1d6 fire damage and catch on fire...