PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Making the Best of a Trashy Statblock

Mind's Eye
2019-02-12, 12:29 PM
I'm currently making a character (a halfling Rogue), but I rolled one of the worst statblocks imaginable. It goes:
STR:2
DEX:12
CON:6
INT:8
WIS:7
CHA:6
Any suggestions or recommendations are welcomed. I cannot move the stats around, and it must be 3.5, no dragon magazine, no pathfinder. Core books, Complete Warrior/Adventurer encouraged, but other expansions are allowed at the DM's discretion.

Uncle Pine
2019-02-12, 01:01 PM
With Complete Warrior and Adventurer, how likely would it be to have Complete Arcane approved so that you can multiclass into Warlock? Hitting with an eldritch blast is extremely easy since it's a touch attack, to the point you could probably play a warlock with straight 3s all over the board and still contribute somewhat meaningfully to a combat.

EDIT: But I also agree with the poster right below me. :smallbiggrin:

Hackulator
2019-02-12, 01:04 PM
Give up on trying to be competent. Be a bumbling idiot who is constantly getting the party into trouble and play it for humor. If anyone gets pissy about it point to your stats and tell them that if they want to roll for stats AND allow people to have fun, this is sometimes the only option.

Eldariel
2019-02-12, 01:30 PM
That qualifies you for rerolls easily as per PHB (highest stat under 13 AND total bonus way under +0).

But yeah, Druid/Beastmaster and just play the animal companion(s), or Warlock are your best bets. In either case, become undead ASAP to do away with the negative Con and HP. Necropolitan from Libris Mortis is the easiest way, getting undeath for 1000gp at level 3. So shoot for that. Druid could hit level 5 and function fine with Wildshape (no spells, but it's still plenty competitive).

EDIT: Actually, you can also get age categories. Though surviving at extremely low Con and Dex until you get Necropolitan would be a pain, that would let you cast spells eventually as a Druid. At Venerable you'd start with 10 Wis and if you also got a Wis-bonus Race (Lesser Aasimar for example), you'd have 12 Wis. Admittedly you'd also have 1 Con, 1 Str and 4 Dex, but I'm sure you'll be just fine. Once you get Necropolitan and Wildshape, you'd be more than fine. With 7 Wis, Middle-Aged is actually pretty doable and coupled with Lesser Aasimar, would give you level 1 spells on level 4 and level 3 spells as soon as you can afford a +2 Wis item.

Mike Miller
2019-02-12, 08:34 PM
I would definitely argue the reroll rules. Otherwise, I would just try to get killed asap. I am guessing you have to follow carrying weights if you are rolling stats in order. Good luck holding anything beyond your clothes! 20 lbs max weight...

The bumbling idiot, as suggested above, is the only way to go. Your HP is garbage along with everything else. You will die. Sooner, rather than later.