PDA

View Full Version : Guard Sentry Question

BigPixie
2019-02-12, 03:15 PM
So I will be running a campaign and I want to use sentries on enemy camps, my questions are How many sentries?, and what should the DC be to spot them? I want it to be hard but not too hard.

nickl_2000
2019-02-12, 03:18 PM
There really needs to be more information
1) How large is the camp?
2) What kind of group is it? Fighters, rangers, assassins?
3) Do they feel safe, or are they in hostile territory?
4) What level are the PCs?
5) Is this a temporary camp or a permanent one?

BigPixie
2019-02-12, 03:22 PM
I don't know the party comp yet but the camp will be temp and of large size, think small army. The PCs will probably be a lvl 5

Unoriginal
2019-02-12, 03:24 PM
Who is running the camp, and who are the troops?

An orc pillagers' camp isn't the same as an hobgoblin invading army's camp.

Derpy
2019-02-12, 04:03 PM
For a small army I'm thinking a few hundred troops, with a mix of troops types. Heavy infantry, light infantry, archers, calvary(or at least a few scouts), and at least a couple of magic users. In almost all cases, unless this is a disorganized mob or really untrained levies, I'd expect a couple sentries at every entrance point, with guards either patrolling or posted around the perimeter. A more trained or prepared force might have pickets on guard duty outside the camp perimeter as well. I'd also expect troops on duty near areas of importance, like the commander's area, where the horses (if any) are kept, food storage areas, and any other depot for supplies or weapons. Depending on how prevalent magic is in the world, how much hostile action they are expecting, and how well supplied the military force is, I'd expect people on watch for shenanigans like invisibility or suggestion. Maybe the casting of a few alarm spells. Now, this is only because you described it as a small army, and my first thought went to a military force. It is entirely possible that the camp is a scattering of tents and cook fires with no rhyme or reason, and the only protection the leader has is that the commander's tent is located in the middle with no organized watch, maybe indistinguishable from other tents. Just lots of people all crammed into a small area. It presents it's own problems and opportunities for entrance. There is also the possibility of anything in between those two or something different entirely. The knowledge and ability of the commander and the training and morale of the troops is probably what decides how well organized and prepared the camp is.

As for spotting, sentries at entrances should not be too hard to spot, they are not usually hiding and might be near a fire or carrying something for light, if they need it. Same thing for sentries on duty outside key locations in the camp. Sentries patrolling are probably not hiding, but might pass through shadows from time to time; still I personally wouldn't make a DC save to find them (they are not usually using a hiding action). However, if there are pickets on duty outside the camp it is safe to assume they would be hiding. A scout in the MM has a +6 to stealth, you can roll for every guard who might be hiding or roll once and apply it to all guards of that type if you want. You could say base is usually 10 and just add the +6 to it for the DC.

Just my take on it.

djreynolds
2019-02-12, 09:59 PM
^^^ excellent ^^^

Guards want to be seen, it's psychology, it makes you hesitate.

However, LP/OP, are hidden. These are forward scouts of a larger element, like human alarm spell.

For a scout with time, I might give them advantage to stealth checks if they're camouflaged.