PDA

View Full Version : Any idea what mezzoloth and nycaloth stand for?

Yora
2019-02-12, 04:42 PM
The names for yugoloths seem to be mostly Greek, which is even more apparent in their original names:

Arcanadaemon = arcane demon
Canoloth = dog demon
Hydrodaemon = water demon
Piscadaemon = fish demon
Ultrodaemon = ultra demon

Nycadaemon also looks very Greek. Maybe it's supposed to mean night demon? Though they didn't have any darkness powers before 3rd edition.
With mezzodaemons I have no clue what that could mean, but it still sounds like it could be Greek.

(There's also the daergoloth and yagnoloth, but those don't even sound Greek to me.)

No brains
2019-02-12, 05:19 PM
Mezzo seems like Italian for 'middle', so I guess they're 'not especially strong or weak daemons'?

Asmotherion
2019-02-12, 06:11 PM
Nyca sounds as Νύξ meaning night which i suppose could be it's origin. interestingly enough Νύξ as a mythological figure (the embodiment of the night) was a daughter of Chaos.

An other less possible interpretation is from the world Νίκη meaning Victory (The equivalent of the Roman godess Victoria).

Mezzo could have it's routs from Μέση meaning middle. That might mean Mezzoloths are the midle class in their society. An other interpretation is that they are the "average" yugoloth in their society as we can see in the lore (they are the most common type of yugoloth in the lower planes).

JakOfAllTirades
2019-02-12, 07:05 PM
I always figured Mezzoloths were daemons who preferred to lurk in, and attack by surprise from, balconies. (aka, mezzanines)

Corran
2019-02-13, 03:58 AM
About yagnoloth. And this is a long shot. A veeery long shot.
Maybe there is some connection to the greek word αγνός, which means pure. Maybe this has some connection to their noble status, or it's just a contradiction to their physical discription that shares traits from different types of creatures (half man, half giant and half demon).

Yora
2019-02-13, 04:01 AM
Mezzo could have it's routs from Μέση meaning middle. That might mean Mezzoloths are the midle class in their society. An other interpretation is that they are the "average" yugoloth in their society as we can see in the lore (they are the most common type of yugoloth in the lower planes).

That does at the very least sound quite plausible. Might quite well be terribly mangled Greek, but it could very well mean what the creator intended.
Thanks.

Lombra
2019-02-13, 06:51 AM
Nycaloth reminds me of the italian "annichilire" (AHN-knee-key-leer-EH) which comes from the latin "nihil" which means "nothing" so "demondms that leave but nothing", to describe very powerful and destructive forces.

Gtdead
2019-02-13, 11:42 AM
Nycaloth could be coming from the greek word for night but, usually the similarities are more pronounced, like in the "hydrodaemon" case, which comes from an altered form of "ύδωρ" - water in ancient greek - as "υδρο-", a prefix that makes something relevant to water. "Υδροδαίμονας".

"Νύχτα" (nee-hta) or "Νύκτα" (nee-kta) is the greek word for night. But I'd expect it to be named Nyctaloth to make that connection.

Zanthy1
2019-02-13, 11:46 AM
Nycaloth for some reason makes me think of a lion

ChildofLuthic
2019-02-13, 01:22 PM
I buy nycaloth being related to nycta night. Probably a case of someone thinking it sounded better without the t.

Finback
2019-02-14, 02:30 AM
That might mean Mezzoloths are the middle class in their society.

And now I can only imagine this guy in a business suit, umbrella under one arm, briefcase in the other, waiting for the bus to arrive.

JakOfAllTirades
2019-02-14, 09:09 AM
I buy nycaloth being related to nycta night. Probably a case of someone thinking it sounded better without the t.

Beat me to it. Cuz I was at work all night. Go figure.