PDA

View Full Version : Rules Q&A Warforged Monk multiclass proficiency bonus rules

caoshunter22
2019-02-12, 09:33 PM
I was wondering with Darkwood undercore (unarmored) (11 + your Dexterity modifier + your proficiency bonus (if proficient with light armor)) and the Warforged was a Monk and put 1 level into rogue for example for the light armor proficiency would the proficiency bonus come from the monk or the rogue?

So for example lets say for the Character has 19 levels in monk and 1 level rogue and had a dexterity and wisdom score of 20 would it be 11+5+5+2 or 11+5+5+6?

I know that this isn't a good multiclass idea I'm just wonder how to calculate the AC?

JNAProductions
2019-02-12, 09:57 PM
It doesn't work like that.

Neither feature says to add to your existing AC-it simply sets your AC at the appropriate value.

So, you can use:

11+Dex mod+Proficiency

-or-

10+Dex mod+Wis mod

But NOT both.

For what it's worth, if a feature references your Proficiency bonus, it is ALWAYS your Proficiency bonus based on total levels, not levels in any given class. There's literally only ONE exception, to my knowledge, and that's in a homebrew class.

RogueJK
2019-02-12, 10:38 PM
Correct. It's either/or. Not both.

If your character has access to multiple AC calculation methods, you choose which one to use. They don't stack.

In addition, proficiency bonus is based on character level, not class level.

Character level 1-4 is +2
Character level 5-8 is +3
Character level 9-12 is +4
Character level 13-16 is +5
Character level 17-20 is +6

A Monk 20 has the same proficiency bonus (+6) as a Monk19/Rogue1, or a Monk10/Rogue10, or a Bard2/Wizard3/Cleric7/Fighter8, or any combination of any classes that add up to 20th character level.