PDA

View Full Version : Arcana lizardman!

Grorl
2019-02-12, 09:46 PM
So! I've been working around with a character as of late. It's a lizardfolk arcana cleric! Now, I've seen a lot about this build, but what all I've seen only suggest the cantrips and not much else. I know the staple feats are magic initiate for the druid cantrips and of course war caster.

My main focus is to be primarily melee, I know specialized classes may/will out dpr me. But hey, it's my character I wanna melee. I will have some ranged options of course. Plus the stats for the guy aren't too bad. My main stats are con at 18 and wisdom at 19.

I did roll well over all. So the total spread is

16 str 16 dex 18 con 16 int 19 wis 14 cha.

This guy is a backup just in case my main guy in the campaign happens to die. Seeing as we are only level 6 and the dm tossed disintegrate spell at me. Luckily I beat the save, but at the same time the sorcerer tossed in a counter spell and also saved me. So, that brush with death made me work on this dude.

That aside. My main question is, what feats and when? I have it to make this guy an uncommon lizard folk who actually wants to learn. So he's got all the knowledges covered thanks to the background. He's also got stealth and perception because of the racial training.

If he does get used, he will most likely be around level 6 or 7 because the next boss fight will be even more difficult than the last when I almost died.

I plan to go straight cleric, unless I can combo well with another class? Maybe take a level in druid to save me the hassle of the feat and use my feat for something else? What other feats will pair well with a combat oriented cleric who isn't using a 2 hander?

Was thinking ritual caster to go with his background of being a studious lizardfolk.

Suggestions and tips would be much appreciated. Thank you!

Edit: was thinking of taking both blade cantrips at level 1. Key off wisdom for that later ability to add wis to the cantrips. Also thinking light, toll the dead, and word of radiance.

MagneticKitty
2019-02-12, 09:59 PM
Druid 2 might not be bad. Wildshape let's you escape from things, moon gives you more martial ability.
Otherwise there's also magic initiate wizard booming blade that doesn't need int to function

Grorl
2019-02-12, 10:13 PM
Druid 2 might not be bad. Wildshape let's you escape from things, moon gives you more martial ability.
Otherwise there's also magic initiate wizard booming blade that doesn't need int to function
I forgot to mention. I was going to take booming blade and Gfb with the 2 wizard cantrips I get as cleric cantrips for being arcana cleric.

Would a moon druid only at 2 levels be effective going forward?

Crgaston
2019-02-12, 10:27 PM
I forgot to mention. I was going to take booming blade and Gfb with the 2 wizard cantrips I get as cleric cantrips for being arcana cleric.

Would a moon druid only at 2 levels be effective going forward?

For only 2 levels, I really like a Shepherd Druid. You'll still have regular wild shape for scouting and spying, plus free speaking with animals all the time, and 1/SR auras, one of which lets you grant Advantage to an ally as a reaction. That'll never get old.

Grorl
2019-02-13, 12:14 AM
For only 2 levels, I really like a Shepherd Druid. You'll still have regular wild shape for scouting and spying, plus free speaking with animals all the time, and 1/SR auras, one of which lets you grant Advantage to an ally as a reaction. That'll never get old.

That is very true! My current PC is level 2 Shepard. Aside from the fact that bear totem wont give them much temp HP with only 2 levels as a druid for this lizardman, it still grants advantage to strength checks and saves as well as the eagle granting advantage to ally, unicorn will be the least valuable with only a 2 level dip. But, I do see your point. Bear and Eagle are still useful. I may give that a try. Does give me bonus action buffs for party. And honestly slowing down Cleric spell progression by just 2 levels isn't so bad. I am not a big fan of later leveled spells much, anyway, truth be told. They are cool and all, but to me personally they seem... not all that much hype. Then again, I've also never played 5e to those levels so I dunno. Lol