PDA

View Full Version : Heightening Spell-Level Affecting Spells

Warchon
2019-02-12, 10:33 PM
Just a passing thought for discussion.

How many of you would allow the Heighten Spell feat to raise the spell level effects in a spell like Globe of Invulnerability, Spectral Hand, Spell Immunity, or Contingency?

Example, Contingency can only be applied to L6 or lower spells. If it were Heightened, would you allow it to affect L7 spells? Or maybe require two levels of heightening to gain one level in effects?

To be crystal clear: this is a firm "No" by RAW and RAI. I'm not asking that. Just wondering if allowing this as a house rule would actually break anything.

Hackulator
2019-02-12, 10:43 PM
Just a passing thought for discussion.

How many of you would allow the Heighten Spell feat to raise the spell level effects in a spell like Globe of Invulnerability, Spectral Hand, Spell Immunity, or Contingency?

Example, Contingency can only be applied to L6 or lower spells. If it were Heightened, would you allow it to affect L7 spells? Or maybe require two levels of heightening to gain one level in effects?

To be crystal clear: this is a firm "No" by RAW and RAI. I'm not asking that. Just wondering if allowing this as a house rule would actually break anything.

Definitely no, casters do not need additional homebrewed power.

StevenC21
2019-02-13, 12:39 AM
Hackulator is correct.

Troacctid
2019-02-13, 01:03 AM
I don't see any particular reason to do this.

Crake
2019-02-13, 01:30 AM
using heighten to this effect can actually be used to remove a lot of the extra clutter of spells and give heighten a decent use. You could use it to essentially remove all of the "lesser/greater" versions of spells and replace them with the lesser version as standard, and access the higher versions with heighten spell. Same could be said for the summon spells for exmaple, instead of summon monster I-IX, you have one spell that is augmented by heighten spell.

If anything, donig this would be a net nerf to prepared casters who's access to spells is generally not an issue, but this would eat up a feat, while spontaneous casters would essentially get a whole bunch of extra spells for the cost of a single feat.

Note that this isn't actually a hugely new concept, this is basically how 5e scales all spells (instead of scaling by caster level), and kinda similar to how psionic augmentation works (spending more spell points aka "higher level spell slots" increases damage/effect/DC).