PDA

View Full Version : Best warlock familiar tricks

Mandarin
2019-02-12, 11:22 PM
I will start with a few ideas!

1) Imp using use item action to cover strategic areas with ball bearings while flying overhead.
2) Sending invisible familiar into stronghold as invisible spider... get to the magic item you needed to retrieve, have familiar pick it up and use action to dismiss pet and bring him back next you.
3) Same idea but as a messenger to a nearby city, he doesnt have to sleep afterall so a perfect overnight messenger and you can speak with your own voice!
4) using invisible familiar to poison enemy stronghold food supply/water supply.
5) Scouting extraordinaire.
6) Cast darkness on Imp and have him fly to strategic areas, alternatively you can cast darkness on a stone and give it to him with a small pouch. he stays invisible and can drop it and pick it up as you need him too... same thing with the light cantrip.
7)Send imp in to solo any fire elementals.
8) Cast Minor illusion on your imp to look like a doll and disguise self to look like a little girl. Wander into enemy barracks as small child looking for mother. "Please sir, my doll has a secret she wants to whisper in your ear!"
9)Have imp set up rope traps ahead, since "Any equipment he carries is invisible" as long as he is still holding the rope they have 0% chance of seeing the rope when running in and will fall prone.
10) Imp bomber squadron- start crafting mass poison cloud vials during your downtime and turn impy into a makeshift bombadier
11) Voice of the chainmaster provides all sort of fun with the actor feat to cause the enemies major issues... mix with dream for max effect... suddenly the cultists are killing each other because of a few wrong orders and the leader had an incredibly realistic dream.

Any other ideas guys!?

CTurbo
2019-02-12, 11:37 PM
Be a small character and let Imp carry you. You shoot arrows at enemies from above while staying invisible.
Burn a building down and have Imp loot the building as it's burning.
Cover Imp with oil, send it into a room with enemies, shoot firebolt at imp which turns into a flying ball of fire that can go around burning enemies.

Laserlight
2019-02-13, 08:00 AM
Comments
2) I don't recall that the familiar can carry anything with it when it is dismissed. However, if your DM rules it can, then maybe you can also sneak a weapon or two past sentries, or keep the wizard's spellbook safe if you're captured. Bear in mind that its STR carrying capacity is downgraded for size
3) you need to spend an invocation if you want communication over a distance. (Voice of the Chain Master)
8) Minor Illusion won't work for that; it's a static image. Of course, you can have the imp turn invisible instead.
9) if it's a trip line, he's no long "carrying" it so it's not invisible.
10) if you feel safe telling your DM "I'm carrying a bunch of breakable vials of poison cloud"...

Trustypeaches
2019-02-13, 02:34 PM
The Imp has some nice skills: Persuasion, Deception, Insight.

Personally I have my Imp roll all my warlock's insight checks. I like to imagine my warlock being a happy trusting person while his invisible imp is just glaring at everyone with suspicion.

Lord8Ball
2019-02-13, 03:34 PM
The imp can always attune to magic items.

Mandarin
2019-02-13, 06:44 PM
The imp can always attune to magic items.

Ooooh I like that train of thought...

Any great magic items come to mind for our Imp friend?

Millstone85
2019-02-13, 07:04 PM
Any great magic items come to mind for our Imp friend?We heard you like familiars, so we gave your familiar a Ring of Spell Storing with find familiar cast inside, and now your familiar has a familiar.

Not another imp, though. The ring only keeps your attack bonus or save DC, not the benefits of a class feature like Pact of the Chain.

ImproperJustice
2019-02-13, 08:45 PM
Keen Mind + Voice of the Chain Master + minor illusion =
Perfect 3d scale maps of scouted locations and voice recall.

Voice of the Chain Master + Beast Speech allows for remote animal communication

Voice of the Chain Master + Eyes of the Rune Keeper allows for remote reading of any and all legible material.

Talionis
2019-02-13, 10:28 PM
Not sure on RAW, but get level nine levation invocation and have your imp push you around. You are already weightless so it’s only resistance that slows the imp down. Even slow and not great directional movement in the air is useful.

Chalkarts
2019-02-13, 11:29 PM
I like these ideas.
Can a familiar use an aid action?

I'm currently working on a Warlock.
Halfling, Atrisan:Chef, He and his patron are both gluttons.
His goal is to hunt, kill, properly prepare, and taste every edible creature.

His Patron found out about his desire and made a deal with him to supply the patron with the occasional sumptuous exotic meal, Fillet o' Kua-Toa and such.

In exchange the patron gave the halfling a perfect weapon for hunting big game(Eldritch Blast, Warlocks be all like Pew,Pew,Pew.)

I was leaning toward Tome but some of these ideas make me wonder if it might be fun to go chain and have a Sprite.

A sprite that is a general in the Fey armies who made a tactical error and cost them a battle. As punishment he's been assigned to train and defend a pudgy halfling chef and turn him into a Soldier, a Hunter, a Killer.
R.Lee Ermy as a Sprite yelling strings of obscenities at Samwise Pyle.

Could you get your sprite to act as a spotter for sniping with EB?

Laserlight
2019-02-14, 05:53 AM
Yes, familiars (including normal ones) can help aid your attacks. They tend to get killed pretty quickly, though, unless the enemy has action economy problems or you're using something like an owl (which doesn't provoke OA, as I recall).

Millstone85
2019-02-14, 06:07 AM
Yes, familiars (including normal ones) can help aid your attacks. They tend to get killed pretty quickly, though, unless the enemy has action economy problems or you're using something like an owl (which doesn't provoke OA, as I recall).Imps, quasits and sprites do not provoke OA either, thanks to their invisibility.

Zanthy1
2019-02-14, 07:16 AM
Made a Warforged Chainlock Hexblade. Background, pirate. He would wait underwater while the imp stayed on board and would give him play by play of what was happening, and he would act accordingly, usually to ambush other ships