PDA

View Full Version : Barbarian and Mystic Synergy?

Rhaegar14
2019-02-12, 11:40 PM
Disclaimer: this thread is not about whether or not Mystic/Barbarians can use psionics while raging. As far as I know there is no objective answer to that question except for "ask your DM" and it's not a question I'm interested in discussing.

What I want to talk about is this: if your DM DOES allow Mystic/Barbarians to use psionics while raging, how would you build one? What are the best synergy options between the two classes?

Aett_Thorn
2019-02-13, 06:48 AM
Well, that’s a pretty big IF, but if we’re taking that as an assumption, then here we go. It’s also going to be a bit MAD, but there are a few ways around that a bit. I see basically two best ways to do this, with a third that gives you a lot of versatility. All three are going to go Barb 5/Mystic 11/then finish Barb

1) Order of the Immortal: the best fit thematically, you do have a duplicate no-armor armor class, but that’s okay. With skills like Brute Force, you can pump out a lot of melee damage in a given round, especially if you can combine with Knock Back to do even more damage. You’ll need to watch your psi points, though, since doing both of those on the same turn can really burn through them. Giant Growth to take up space and do even more damage with each swing.

2) Order of the Nomad: Bamf! around the battlefield to do your melee damage. Not as much damage as the Immortal, but you get some nice mobility and other utility that the Immortal won’t get, and you get to teleport behind enemies before smashing them. Fun!

3) Order of the Wu Jen: This will give you a lot of added versatility and defensive strength, but will compete for your actions to do damage. Use the elemental ‘spells’ to do damage at range, then smash them with your hammer when they get close. Things like Frozen Sanctuary will give you a nice chunk of temp hit points that are extended by your resistances, which is nice.

Order of the Avatar is a runner up, but as a Barb/Mystic, how much do you want to be doing to boost your team, instead of dealing with the problems with your fists?

carrdrivesyou
2019-02-13, 12:08 PM
According to what I've heard, Mercer is ripping the Mystic into different subclasses for the other core classes, and leaving a skeleton version called the Psion to be its own core class. Anyways...

I would suggest Order of the Immortal and the Zealot sub for this build, and go 10/10 for levels. For disciplines, I would suggest the following: Bestial Form (nobody can outrun you or even fly away from you), Brute Force (stack on the pain), Celerity (Grab some nice buffs), Giant Growth (reach is always nice), and Mantle of Fear (everything tries; then FAILS at running away). They would fit from both Mechanics and Flavor perspectives. There is no real particular order you'd need to take these in, although I would leave Giant Growth for later levels and start with taking Brute Force and Bestial Form.