PDA

View Full Version : Original System Armor Proficiency? What does it do, what does it mean?

RedWarlock
2019-02-13, 05:07 AM
I'm working on my own system, and I'm looking at my armor system. Is an armor proficiency system something that would be a useful gate to varied armor types, or not?

In my system, to use D&D 3.x/PF-equivilent terms, armor functions as a tiered damage reduction. Basically, every character has two AC-style numbers. One is basically touch AC, the other is full AC, with a larger differential between the two, usually on the order of a 10 point difference, on a fairly low curve of growth, so that difference is important.

If you hit the touch AC, the damage is reduced by the armor's DR, then divided in half. Then, the remaining damage is reduced by the character's own toughness, and recorded vs HP. (Multiple attacks vs the same target aren't really a big thing in this system like they are in 3.PF.)

If you hit the upper full AC, those first steps based on armor are skipped, so that the damage just subtracts the character's toughness, and recorded vs HP.

I'm still working out specifics (needs moar playtesting), but I was debating whether to use variable reductions based on light vs heavy (like 1/4 vs 1/2). Strongest possibility, simplest one, is that light armor just does the subtraction, not the dividing in half, while heavy does the dividing.

I'm in the process of fleshing out the proficiency skills (I've already decided all weapon and armor proficiency would be a skill-points-based purchase, rather than a heftier feat-equivilent single-weight chunk), and I was debating the merits of having a chained 'proficiency' unlock of some sort, like prof (light) is required for prof (medium/heavy), or whether I should just internally balance the lighter and heavier armors against each other without that extra mechanical cost to the heavier armors.

Alternately, my other option is, I DO have a proficiency skill of some sort, but light and heavy armors operate on independent tracks, with upper ranks of the light armor's skill reduce ACP-equivalent penalties and improve mobility in such respects, while the heavy armor skill improves the armor's defensive functions, making the two classes of armor more distinctive over increasing levels. They could even be overlapping functions, like the 'agile armor' path reducing ACP and improving mobility, while the 'sturdy armor' path improves DR and function, regardless of what armor is worn. Full 'sturdy' makes light armor as good at reduction as a moderate-strength heavy, while full 'agile' with the heaviest plate would still be only as quick-and-graceful as mid-grade light armor.

I actually do a similar thing with my weapons proficiency, with 'piercing' improving armor penetration (reaching that higher AC to bypass the armor reductions), 'bludgeoning' dealing secondary nonlethal damage even when base lethal damage is reduced, and 'slashing' just increasing base damage, while 'polearm' improves the function and useability of reach, and 'chain' increases special-maneuver bonuses.

Real-world talk, I know "heavy" armor isn't all that heavy or cumbersome.. But honestly, I'd be fine with pushing that boundary beyond historical basis. So that the heaviest "full plate" is actually far thicker than what we're used to, to what would be a seemingly-unrealistic level. Maybe, on the other hand, THAT's what's needed to ward off bigger-than-elephant dragon claws and hundred-pound giants' weapons smashing down. That kind of thicker armor WOULD need more adjustment and learning (and strength) to really properly fight in.

Does anyone have any thoughts? Questions? Helpful commentary or suggestions from other systems?

HouseRules
2019-02-13, 12:09 PM
The problem with D&D 3E is that everything have thickness measured in full inches!

Your armor is 1 inch thick, not 1 to 1.5 millimeter thick like real life.

Most armor thinner than 1 inch has no hit points because every fraction rounds down, so those armor are paper thin and should be destroyed by any hit. However, the invulnerable items in inventory system is making the game function.

What every house rule you make will likely to be better than 3E's version, as far as reality likeness.

Humans need proficiency in clothing just because. Seriously, armor does not prevent running in real life, unless it is designed wrong and have bad weight distribution. All armors in real life have important design to distribute the weight properly. People have no problem running in full armor, and they could sustain for a reasonable duration.

SkipSandwich
2019-02-13, 02:38 PM
To me, armor proficiency is just knowledge of how armor functions, how to property fit it so the weight is correctly distributed, which parts of the body are most/least protected and so on.

For a system like what you describe, perhaps instead of an attack roll the defender should roll an "Armor Save", with Light armor having the "Evasive" trait (no damage on successful save, full damage on fail), and Heavy armor having the "Tough" trait (1/4 damage on success, half on fail)

PairO'Dice Lost
2019-02-13, 04:48 PM
Alternately, my other option is, I DO have a proficiency skill of some sort, but light and heavy armors operate on independent tracks, with upper ranks of the light armor's skill reduce ACP-equivalent penalties and improve mobility in such respects, while the heavy armor skill improves the armor's defensive functions, making the two classes of armor more distinctive over increasing levels. They could even be overlapping functions, like the 'agile armor' path reducing ACP and improving mobility, while the 'sturdy armor' path improves DR and function, regardless of what armor is worn. Full 'sturdy' makes light armor as good at reduction as a moderate-strength heavy, while full 'agile' with the heaviest plate would still be only as quick-and-graceful as mid-grade light armor.

This is basically what I do in my armor proficiency setup. Light armor gives the best Dex and speed, and proficiency ranks provide miss chances, touch AC bonuses, etc.; heavy armor gives the best AC and DR, and proficiency ranks improve those benefits and add extra layers of protection; medium armor is second-best at mobility and protection, but you apply both light and heavy proficiency benefits when wearing it. I've been using that rule for several campaigns now and it works very nicely.

Real-world talk, I know "heavy" armor isn't all that heavy or cumbersome.. But honestly, I'd be fine with pushing that boundary beyond historical basis. So that the heaviest "full plate" is actually far thicker than what we're used to, to what would be a seemingly-unrealistic level. Maybe, on the other hand, THAT's what's needed to ward off bigger-than-elephant dragon claws and hundred-pound giants' weapons smashing down. That kind of thicker armor WOULD need more adjustment and learning (and strength) to really properly fight in.

In my system I also split off material from weight category, so you don't have separate Leather, Hide, Chain Shirt, Chainmail, Breastplate, Full Plate, etc. armors, you just have Light/Medium/Heavy Armor base stats and apply modifiers for Hide/Chain/Plate/etc. materials (some of which are flat, some of which scale by weight), which also have their own proficiencies so you can be really effective with e.g. Heavy Plate or just be good in Chain armor regardless of weight.

Not only does that make handling exotic materials like mithral or dragonhide easier and more uniform, but you could then add a "Super-Heavy" category (or multiple extra categories) to be able to procedurally generate the bigger armors without having to come up with 5+ new types and flavors each time.

John Out West
2019-02-13, 10:14 PM
I did what you did in my system. Had tiers of defense offset by speed restrictions. I also added shields, which would give the highest defense tier with no speed decrease, but could only defend from one direction at a time. Similarly, again, there was no proficiency needed to know how to use armor. Worked out pretty well for me, so I suggest you keep doing what you're doing.