PDA

View Full Version : Writing a campaign...

Quirinus_Obsidian
2007-09-26, 07:16 PM
I just had a general question about how some of the experienced DMs out there write their campaigns; like the processes used to create the backgrounds, the general source of ideas, that kind of thing. So some take it as writing a screenplay, or a novel? I am not asking for campaign specifics; that would lead to plagiarism. I want to start work on my own campaign that starts at 3 and goes into the epic levels...

Azerian Kelimon
2007-09-26, 07:26 PM
Well, I've written one campaign just like the kind you mention, which got to level 45. 6 players, there were. And the thing I've to say is, there are two paths you can, and in this case, you can't change the road you're on in the long run (prize for the person who guesses from which song did I borrow that).

1) The campaign is built more or less on the fly: you borrow a setting and create it inside out, step by step, maybe allowing the players to collaborate, if only to add twists to their ideas. For example, you begin with the little cave the PC's are mopping up of orcs, then proceed with the big capital city the PC's were tasked to clean the orcs at, and so on and so forth. If you have the skills, this is, in my opinion, the best campaign, since it'll have things that no one will expect. Downside is, it might be a little rough, which is something to consider.

2) You take your time, and build the campaign outside in. You begin with a brand new world, with a few detailed kingdoms, and proceed to the villages where the adventure will begin, et cetera. This one takes a LOT of time and a lawful mind, but it has the advantage that it will certainly be your own way of campaigning. I suggest you try this kind of thing only when you've already made quite a few adventures, and maybe even whole campaigns. It's very hard to do, but very rewarding, particularly if you make your players play the chars since childhood.

Stormcrow
2007-09-26, 07:30 PM
Similar to the storytelling system start with a concept. For the sake of this discussion I'll say... Feudal Japan. If you are a reader, read about Japan. If not get out alot of Fedual Japanese popular culture from movies to manga depending on what you are going for.

Weave the world and the story together, this isn't a place where a story happens, it is part of the story. Bring the world to life and make it move independantly of the PCs. Before they even arrive.

Work out with your PCs _well_ before gamestart what kind of characters they are going to play within this world, which archetypes. Make them aware of any plot restrictions, for example, you'll have a hard time playing most classes as a woman in Feudal Japan. Once you know who and how they intend to play weave a plot around them, use their backgrounds and their contacts to aid or hinder them. Make situations that tailor to their strengths and exploit their public (Don't be too savage) weaknesses.

Thats what I've got for now.

Starsinger
2007-09-26, 07:30 PM
Generally my campaigns have a bit of rail roading because I have an over all plot. Usually I get the idea for a key NPC and the whole plot begins to slowly spread itself outwards from there. Once I have the plot, I work on the necessary cities, countries, dungeons, what evers for the plot to succeed. Followed by statting out important NPCs.

After I stat out all the stuff for the plot, I'm left with a meta-plot. Then I make some unnecessary towns, dungeons, countries, what evers for the sake of side quests, exploration, and so the PCs can have places of origin that aren't involved with the meta-plot if they wish. I make notes of NPCs in these locations (but never stats right away) and stuff.

After play begins, if it looks like PCs are going to do some of those side questy places, then I stat them out to be safe, although I leave a bit of it up to improv. And of course, to start out the meta-plot I generally start with something unrelated and have them stumble upon the over-all plot.

Dervag
2007-09-26, 07:43 PM
I just had a general question about how some of the experienced DMs out there write their campaigns; like the processes used to create the backgrounds, the general source of ideas, that kind of thing. So some take it as writing a screenplay, or a novel? I am not asking for campaign specifics; that would lead to plagiarism. I want to start work on my own campaign that starts at 3 and goes into the epic levels...If you try to script it like a screenplay or a novel the PCs aren't involved.

Your best bet is to create situations, rather than plots, for your heroes to participate in. Their response to a situation will be dictated by their perception of how their characters should behave, rather than by how you think their characters should behave for maximum dramatic effect.

Remember that your players' enjoyment of the game depends almost entirely on their ability to play their own characters.

Of course, it's entirely reasonable of you to expect certain categories of responses. For instance, if the king promises them a reward for performing a task, it is reasonable of you to expect that the party will not try to kill the king and steal the reward. That kind of expectation must be formed with the players' behavior patterns in mind. Many of the worst campaigns I've heard of happen when the DM expects players to act in one fashion and they instead act in a different fashion (robbing the king rather than performing the task and taking the reward).

DraPrime
2007-09-26, 08:15 PM
Well think of what you like in a good plot. Is it shock? Horror? Amazement? Everything tying together in the end? Choose this thing, and then let it guide you. I never actually have a completely structured campaign, and I'm always changing the plan, and improving on my ideas. You should at least think of a final villain, and why they're so important. Then work backwards, planning how everything will lead to this final villain. For example, if the villain is some powerful devil planning an invasion of the material plane by subtly infiltrating it then have devils show up in unexpected places. Your players will get curious, and will eventually get to the final villain. I could write on and on, but this is just to get you started. You need some freedom of your own.

But seriously, try not to make it into rigid a script. If your players do something completely unexpected (once my players blew up a city with an artifact that they would need later) don't try to force them back onto the plot you had originally planned. The players will feel as if they have no freedom, and will resent you. Improvise, and change the plot, but try to lead them to the final goal without giving them freedom.

Lord Tataraus
2007-09-26, 08:51 PM
Well, I've written one campaign just like the kind you mention, which got to level 45. 6 players, there were. And the thing I've to say is, there are two paths you can, and in this case, you can't change the road you're on in the long run (prize for the person who guesses from which song did I borrow that).

1) The campaign is built more or less on the fly: you borrow a setting and create it inside out, step by step, maybe allowing the players to collaborate, if only to add twists to their ideas. For example, you begin with the little cave the PC's are mopping up of orcs, then proceed with the big capital city the PC's were tasked to clean the orcs at, and so on and so forth. If you have the skills, this is, in my opinion, the best campaign, since it'll have things that no one will expect. Downside is, it might be a little rough, which is something to consider.

2) You take your time, and build the campaign outside in. You begin with a brand new world, with a few detailed kingdoms, and proceed to the villages where the adventure will begin, et cetera. This one takes a LOT of time and a lawful mind, but it has the advantage that it will certainly be your own way of campaigning. I suggest you try this kind of thing only when you've already made quite a few adventures, and maybe even whole campaigns. It's very hard to do, but very rewarding, particularly if you make your players play the chars since childhood.

I mix those. I create the setting structure then put the PCs in and let events unfold, with the setting developing around them.

Mewtarthio
2007-09-26, 09:08 PM
You might want to check out the "Gaming" section of this site. In particular, look at "Play Theory" (namely, the article on Villains) and "The World" (if you want to build an entire setting from scratch).

Quirinus_Obsidian
2007-09-28, 09:18 AM
Thanks all, I really appreciate your input! :biggrin:

AslanCross
2007-09-28, 10:13 AM
While you might have a general direction you might want the campaign to go, you don't necessarily need to write it all down at the outset. The biggest contribution to your story should come from your players. My campaign (it's only my first) has quite a bit of railroading, at least at this point. (My players are also new to RPing and are only beginning to interact with the environment) Your ideas for your later adventures can and should be flexible enough to be adapted to what your players do.

Corollary to this is the effect your players have on the environment. Whatever they do should have a consequence. While you don't have to prepare a detailed flowchart of what happens when the PCs do what, you should always make room for the PCs doing unexpected things.

crimson77
2007-09-28, 11:05 AM
I just had a general question about how some of the experienced DMs out there write their campaigns...I want to start work on my own campaign that starts at 3 and goes into the epic levels...

Here is my advice.

[First, have read up on many different types of fantasy campaign setting. This will give you many flavors or colors in your pallet. This will allow you to use ideas from different sources in your game design]

Start out small. For the first session brainstorm some ideas about the town the PCs live in and the first quest/adventure that they will be going on. You could make a small map of the surrounding area or the town itself.

Invite your players to help you create the world they live in with their back stories and how they interact with NPCs early in the game.

The reason I suggest starting out small and building as the campaign goes along is that you do not put as much time/effort into a world that can quickly become undone with a few minutes of game play (if you need examples of this check out the "plot train wrecks" thread). If you are more flexible (or not written out) in your world you will have an easier time adapting to what the characters actually do and be less likely to railroad your players into certain actions.

I am much more of a free form DM, I almost alway homebrew my campaigns and allow the players to have a lot of input into their characters and to some extent the world. In my last campaign, i started in them in a Inn on a rainy night in the middle of no where. As we have continued playing I created more and more of the world.