PDA

View Full Version : DM Help High level game for new players?

heavyfuel
2019-02-13, 06:28 PM
Has anyone ever done that?

Usually when you're introducing players to TTRPGs you want to start them somewhat low level so that they don't get overwhelmed with options, but I had this idea for a game that only works if the characters are high level (like, at least lv 10)

Now two players have played D&D before a couple of times, but are still new. One has never played.

Could this work? Or is it a recipe for disaster?I was thinking of running 5e because it's lighter on the rules and stuff.

DeTess
2019-02-13, 06:32 PM
Has anyone ever done that?

Usually when you're introducing players to TTRPGs you want to start them somewhat low level so that they don't get overwhelmed with options, but I had this idea for a game that only works if the characters are high level (like, at least lv 10)

Now two players have played D&D before a couple of times, but are still noobs. One has never played.

Could this work? Or is it a recipe for disaster?I was thinking of running 5e because it's lighter on the rules and stuff.

I wouldn't start them at high level, especially if you feel the need to use derogatory terms like 'noob' to describe them. That leaves you two options: either move your story down to a lower level, or let the players level very quickly (1 level per session). The second option gives the players some time to learn their kit and doesn't overwhelm them with having to build their character all at once. You could fluff it as an extended prologue, showing how the characters become the heroes that then go on to do the main story.

heavyfuel
2019-02-13, 06:53 PM
I wouldn't start them at high level, especially if you feel the need to use derogatory terms like 'noob' to describe them. That leaves you two options: either move your story down to a lower level, or let the players level very quickly (1 level per session). The second option gives the players some time to learn their kit and doesn't overwhelm them with having to build their character all at once. You could fluff it as an extended prologue, showing how the characters become the heroes that then go on to do the main story.

Hm, didn't even mean 'noob' as derrogatory term. It's just a standard neutral adjective where I live, but I can see how it could be misconstrued. I'll edit the post now :smallsmile:

Unfortunately starting at lower levels makes so the story doesn't make sense at all. I'd have to do something else, and inspiration isn't at a particular all time high

Friv
2019-02-13, 07:21 PM
It's not a great plan, I would say. Half the point of low levels is to train players in what their characters are capable of. Which version of D&D are you thinking of?

I have a suggestion, but it might be a lot of work. But I say go for it! Here's what you do:

Design an eight-session campaign, with each session being slightly shorter than you would normally do it. Create the framework for the session but not necessarily the full depth. Give this campaign its own plot, its own boss, and hooks for the PCs. Start them normally at Level 1.

At the end of each session, level the PCs up once. Note down the abilities that they take, and design your encounters for the next session to have those new abilities as solutions. If you're feeling confident, have each session play with different D&D approaches:

1. A direct combat dungeon.
2. A wilderness session.
3. A trap-based dungeon.
4. A dungeon with an internal political situation.
5. A dungeon with weird terrain features.
6. A dungeon with weird magic in it.
7. The PCs' home base under attack.
8. The villain's lair.

At the end of Session 8, fade to downtime, advance a year or two, and level the PCs up to Level 10. Then you can start your campaign.