PDA

View Full Version : Magical Monkflurry

Chalkarts
2019-02-14, 10:18 AM
I'm looking over the PHB and perhaps I'm missing it,

Is a Melee touch cantrip,(Primal Savagery, Shocking grasp), a melee attack for purposes of follow up attacks for a monk.
It takes one action to cast and requires a melee attack as part of casting, is that attack viable for a chain starter?

If I use my first action to palm strike a guy with shocking grasp,
It's technically an attack with a monk weapon, do I still get my follow up attacks and can I spend ki for flurry at this point?
I know they wouldn't be spell attacks, but One zap at the start of a beat down just has a cool aesthetic.

nickl_2000
2019-02-14, 10:24 AM
I'm looking over the PHB and perhaps I'm missing it,

Is a Melee touch cantrip,(Primal Savagery, Shocking grasp), a melee attack for purposes of follow up attacks for a monk.
It takes one action to cast and requires a melee attack as part of casting, is that attack viable for a chain starter?

If I use my first action to palm strike a guy with shocking grasp,
It's technically an attack with a monk weapon, do I still get my follow up attacks and can I spend ki for flurry at this point?
I know they wouldn't be spell attacks, but One zap at the start of a beat down just has a cool aesthetic.

No it isn't. The Flurrly of Blows and the unarmed bonus attack both require that you use an "attack action" not a melee attack. So, if you are using your action to cast Primal Savagery, shocking grasp, booming blade, or any other spell your action is a "cast a spell" action and therefore doesn't qualify for the bonus action attack/flurry of blows.

Vorpalchicken
2019-02-14, 10:26 AM
You need to use the Attack Action to trigger martial arts or Flurry of Blows. Since you didn't meet the requirement, no Magical Monkflurry

You could trigger a Hunter Ranger's Horde Breaker attack with a SCAG cantrip (but not a Shocking Grasp etc) however.

Snowbluff
2019-02-14, 11:58 AM
You could trigger a Hunter Ranger's Horde Breaker attack with a SCAG cantrip (but not a Shocking Grasp etc) however.

Is it wrong that I want to make a sorc/ranger that uses quicken to get Horde Breaker on GFB now?