PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Beast Familiar (wizard subclass) (PEACH) (WIP)

sleepyhead
2019-02-14, 11:53 AM
So pretty sure this is overpowered but thought it was pretty neat. Any suggestions? The idea of having more abilities as well as improving the familiar along the way came up, though I'm not sure what I could add.

2nd
Familiar Bond
At 2nd level you automatically gain the Find Familiar spell. If you already know this spell chose a different 1st Level spell.

Transmute Familiar
At 2nd level you can use an Action the ability to transform your Familiar to a beast with a cr of 1/4, the cr restriction increases to the next number when you reach level 6, 10, and 16. The length of these transformations last for 1 minute. How many times they can transformed is shown on the chart below. In addition all familiars gain an action to attack.

Lvl Times per long rest
1st - 0
2nd - 1
3rd - 2
4th - 2
5th - 3
6th - 3
7th - 3
8th - 4
9th - 4
10th - 4
11th - 5
12th - 5
13th - 5
14th - 6
15th - 6
16th - 6
17th - 7
18th - 7
19th - 7
20th - 8

6th
Improved War Familiar

10th
Even more improved familiar

16th

Potato_Priest
2019-02-14, 01:03 PM
First off, the difference between being able to transform it for 10 rounds and 12 rounds is pretty much inconsequential. Most combats in my experience last less than 10 rounds, to the point where we just treat 1-minute spell durations as "for the rest of this fight" and don't actually bother counting rounds. Second, I reccomend having the familiar scale as part of one feature (look at how the barbarian only gets the rage feature once but it continues to improve as they level up), and actually giving the subclass interesting things at later levels.

sleepyhead
2019-02-14, 01:20 PM
First off, the difference between being able to transform it for 10 rounds and 12 rounds is pretty much inconsequential. Most combats in my experience last less than 10 rounds, to the point where we just treat 1-minute spell durations as "for the rest of this fight" and don't actually bother counting rounds.
Good point, I'll just make it the next minute

Second, I recomend having the familiar scale as part of one feature (look at how the barbarian only gets the rage feature once but it continues to improve as they level up), and actually giving the subclass interesting things at later levels.
I'll see what I can do.

MagneticKitty
2019-02-15, 06:25 PM
I'd more like to see them get find steed and find greater steed with familiar powers (being able to pocket them and cast touch through) instead of a temp transform. The spells already exist for this and would be cool to have magic pet of actual substance. Right now only paladin and bards can get it