PDA

View Full Version : Help me make a decision on character.

Throne12
2019-02-14, 12:06 PM
Starting new campaign we start at lv3. The DM gave use stats to put where we want they are 18,16,14,12,10,8. We also get one free feat.

I was going with a half-orc beast Ranger with a guard drake. But the party is whisper Bard shifter, Minatar barbarian, assassin rogue Gnome, half-orc kensai Monk. So I was thinking about changing to a wizard or a celestial Sorcerer. For race I was thinking of triten or levistus tiefling.

So my question is what would ya'll do and do you have any advice.

clash
2019-02-14, 12:23 PM
Go Ranger. It is what you wanted to play, and the party will find ways to make any composition work.

Throne12
2019-02-14, 12:33 PM
Go Ranger. It is what you wanted to play, and the party will find ways to make any composition work.

It's not about the party making me change. It's me wanting to play a full caster and a Ranger and can't make up my mind.

BigPixie
2019-02-14, 12:50 PM
Play a druid with bow and possibly a fighter dip=ranger:smallbiggrin:

RogueJK
2019-02-14, 12:51 PM
If you decide not to stick with Ranger, your party would benefit from a Healer and AOE Blaster. (The Bard could potentially assist with those, but won't be as good as a character dedicated to those roles.)

So of the options you listed, a Levistus Tiefling Divine Soul Sorcerer would be a good pick.

Or something like a Light Cleric or Tempest Cleric would also make a good blaster/healer.

Crucius
2019-02-14, 01:19 PM
If the barbarian is going a non-totem path and the shifter bard is not nature flavor oriented, the party could definitely benefit from a ranger-type character, in a roleplay-niche sense at least.

The druid has it all; full caster, nature niche, nice AoE spells (erupting earth is a super underrated spell), solid heal spells (healing spirit if it is allowed and/or goodberry) and utility in the various wild shapes you can do (extra senses, movement abilities and overall scouting goodness).

It's just a suggestion of course.

Man_Over_Game
2019-02-14, 02:07 PM
If you're worried about deciding between playing a full caster or a Ranger, do both! The Ranger has some amazing low level spells that enhance their combat ability, but lacks spell slots to fuel them.

Specifically, consider the Land Druid for some amazing magic support to your Ranger. Something like Coast can provide Mirror Image and some other abilities that improve your martial prowess, and the low level slot regeneration won't mean much for a full caster Druid, but it works wonders for a Ranger with Hail of Arrows or other attack enhancement spells. You also can support your team using Goodberries or Healing Word. It's a solid fit.

Snowbluff
2019-02-14, 02:16 PM
A friendly reminder that wit hcustom backgrounds you can add nature and survival to your character if you're still interested in being a woodsman.

Personally, I like wizard and sorcerer. Wizard schools get second level features at this level, and you get your first level origin for sorcerer. Both will give second level spells for cool things like Web. If you're still interested in doing some melee, Bladesinger is good for a tussle when not casting at low levels.

Making use of a feat is tricky for a low level caster IMO. I like Warcaster with an armored build (especially clerics), but you don't even get shields as these class so it's rough.

hymer
2019-02-14, 02:25 PM
Play a druid with bow
Words to live by.

Str 8/10/12, Dex 16+2, Con 14+1 (feat), Int 8/10/12, Wis 18+1, Cha 8/10/12, land or shepherd. Pick Resilient (Con) and get +1 wisdom, +1 con at level 4. Then you can pick feats over stat increases for the rest of your career. Delicious!

Ganymede
2019-02-14, 05:38 PM
I'd be asking the DM what kind of game we're playing in where we're starting with so many powerful goodies.