PDA

View Full Version : Are there any RPG systems with as many crazy combos as 3.X?

Elves
2019-02-14, 09:36 PM
As title. Preferably ones with decent support. Not interested in GURPS.

Particle_Man
2019-02-15, 12:49 AM
HERO, perhaps?

Recherché
2019-02-15, 01:09 AM
Mutants and Masterminds sort of. The game explicitly makes it the GM's job to watch out for OP combos and say no though.

RifleAvenger
2019-02-15, 01:12 AM
Mage, either Ascension or Awakening. Even if you compare it against the versatility that is Epic Spellcasting, because Mage starts out with ad hoc spell creation and ends in a position where you can cast super-spells w/o having to do goofy stuff like cramming people into cubes (though that CAN be an aspect of a spell if you want it to be).

Probably one version of Exalted or another qualifies.

JoeJ
2019-02-15, 01:17 AM
3.X has a lot of character options for a level/class based game, but not all that many compared to a lot of point buy character creation systems, and massively fewer than keyword/key phrase games like Fate.

Metahuman1
2019-02-15, 11:01 PM
Maybe Shadowrun, with all the crazy stuff Cybernetics, Bio Augments, Drones, Hacking and Hacking the Matrix in particular, Technomagic and Mages in general, vehicle and general gear can do?

maruahm
2019-02-16, 02:26 AM
GURPS? It's not hard to make a character on ~100 points who can cover the entire Earth in a sheet of cleansing fire.

Rynjin
2019-02-16, 02:49 AM
Godbound. The whole point is you're a newly forged demigod and wield awesome power mortals have no hope of matching. Many abilities are purposefully created so that non-Godbound are simply affected by something; no save given. EX the Deception Word's BASE ability is that normal scrubs believe any lie you tell them. This can be ultra-amped by the actual augments.

JoeJ
2019-02-16, 03:04 AM
GURPS? It's not hard to make a character on ~100 points who can cover the entire Earth in a sheet of cleansing fire.

In what circumstances would covering the entire Earth in fire be useful?

(Also, the OP is not interested in GURPS.)

redwizard007
2019-02-16, 08:51 AM

Zombie apocalypse,
Invasion of xenomorphs,
Needing to poach a really big egg...

gkathellar
2019-02-16, 10:20 AM

"As the size of an explosion increases, the number of social situations it is incapable of resolving approaches 0."

Hackulator
2019-02-16, 05:51 PM
I haven't yet come up with a power that I haven't been able to model in Mutants and Masterminds, but I haven't been trying that long.

Elves
2019-02-16, 07:41 PM
3.X has a lot of character options for a level/class based game, but not all that many compared to a lot of point buy character creation systems, and massively fewer than keyword/key phrase games like Fate.

Thanks, helpful guideline since D&D is most of my experience.

Mage looks more interesting than the other WW games, don't know why I'd never heard of it.

The Glyphstone
2019-02-16, 10:25 PM
Thanks, helpful guideline since D&D is most of my experience.

Mage looks more interesting than the other WW games, don't know why I'd never heard of it.

It's a lot less popular than the other games in my experience. I think a large part of that is the quasi-freeform nature of the system...particularly for Ascension, the rules matter far less than your ability to sweet-talk/bully your Storyteller into letting something happen.

Son of A Lich!
2019-02-16, 10:56 PM
It's a lot less popular than the other games in my experience. I think a large part of that is the quasi-freeform nature of the system...particularly for Ascension, the rules matter far less than your ability to sweet-talk/bully your Storyteller into letting something happen.

Yeah, I don't know what it is with WW games, but they are really made or broken by the Story Teller. CoC has a similar problem, but I understand the problem is simply creating and maintaining the dread when some people have the reaction to simply crack jokes at a moments notice when they get spooked.

I don't have a great deal of experience with either system, but that's usually because I'm always DMing and I'm not confident in my ability to pull either systems off well.