PDA

View Full Version : No Familiar Witch Variant?

BlueWitch
2019-02-14, 09:37 PM
Are there any variants for the Pathfinder Witch that stores her spells closer to a Sorcerer?
One that doesn't have a Familiar?

I know you think "Just play a Sorcerer!" but I want to keep Hexes and Healing magic being a thing.

So does anything like this exist?

Feantar
2019-02-14, 11:03 PM
A familiar-less witch feels a bit like a limbless monk to me...
Still, a google search points me to mirror-witch (http://aonprd.com/ArchetypeDisplay.aspx?FixedName=Witch%20Mirror%20W itch).

Jack_Simth
2019-02-14, 11:09 PM
A familiar-less witch feels a bit like a limbless monk to me...
Still, a google search points me to mirror-witch (http://aonprd.com/ArchetypeDisplay.aspx?FixedName=Witch%20Mirror%20W itch).

if the mirror witch is at least 15th level, there is a 5% chance each of the following spells operates successfully through the sensor: cause fear, charm person, command, crushing despair, deep slumber, enthrall, fear, hold person, moonstruckAPG, seek thoughts, and sleep; a creature that succeeds at its saving throw against one of these linked spells is forever immune to that particular mirror witch’s attempts to cast that spell on that creature through her mirror

Umm. Did they mean "5% chance per level" do you think? Because a 5% chance for a spell to work, before saves & SR, which you can never retry the same way is... not worth risking a 1st level spell slot.

Particle_Man
2019-02-15, 12:45 AM
I dunno, it is through the scry power which works at any distance. So if you haven’t used the scry power and are going to bed and have some unused spells, you could try to give someone a hard time who has very little chance at getting at you.

Tectorman
2019-02-15, 12:50 AM
There's a variant themed around ley lines (I think it's in Occult Adventures) that trades away the familiar. It also makes them cast as sorcerers (spontaneous, gaining 2nd, 3rd, etc. level spells one level later than normal, more spell slots, and so forth).

Mnemius
2019-02-15, 01:00 AM
Check out the Shaman class.
Hexes, healing magic, and more!
No familar required.

inuyasha
2019-02-15, 02:06 AM
The Gravewalker Witch replaces the familiar with a creepy little doll, but that could be flavored otherwise.

https://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/base-classes/witch/archetypes/paizo-witch-archetypes/gravewalker/

Rynjin
2019-02-15, 04:24 AM
Check out the Shaman class.
Hexes, healing magic, and more!
No familar required.

...U wot

You may need to read the Shaman again my dude.

Anywho, a quick look at the table says the Bouda, Cartomancer, Gravewalker, and Ley Line Guardian (plus the Scarred Witch Doctor) lack Familiars. LLG is the closest to what you want. It's also really surprisingly good.

Mnemius
2019-02-15, 08:22 AM
Oops, I misremembered on shaman.
Still got a familiar, it's just not a living spellbook.

Jack_Simth
2019-02-15, 08:26 AM
Oops, I misremembered on shaman.
Still got a familiar, it's just not a living spellbook.

It's also required to prepare spells:

A shaman must commune with her spirit animal each day to prepare her spells. While the spirit animal does not store the spells like a witch’s familiar does, the spirit animal serves as her conduit to divine power. If a shaman’s spirit animal is slain, she cannot prepare new spells or use her spirit magic class feature until the spirit animal is replaced.
Anywho, a quick look at the table says the Bouda, Cartomancer, Gravewalker, and Ley Line Guardian (plus the Scarred Witch Doctor) lack Familiars. LLG is the closest to what you want. It's also really surprisingly good.Note that other than Ley Line Guardian, the familiar in those is replaced with something else that serves the same purpose. They've got some item they're dependent on, rather than a little animal. Better for storing, I suppose.

BlueWitch
2019-02-15, 10:04 AM
The Gravewalker Witch replaces the familiar with a creepy little doll, but that could be flavored otherwise.

Oooh! I really like this one!
My DM does too! It fits with the goth theme too! I like it!

Though it's still a vessel to keep spells in, but I still like it just because it's not an animal.
Having a raven was getting cliche around here haha

Feantar
2019-02-15, 11:46 AM

Umm. Did they mean "5% chance per level" do you think? Because a 5% chance for a spell to work, before saves & SR, which you can never retry the same way is... not worth risking a 1st level spell slot.

I think so, as scry has the same clause.

Rynjin
2019-02-15, 01:09 PM
Oooh! I really like this one!
My DM does too! It fits with the goth theme too! I like it!

Though it's still a vessel to keep spells in, but I still like it just because it's not an animal.
Having a raven was getting cliche around here haha

If not wanting an animal was the main issue, you could also skip Gravewalker and be standard Witch or any other archetype, and take the Poppet Familiar (https://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/general-feats/poppet-familiar/) Feat, which just replaces your Familiar with a simple Construct.

Then you can carry around your creepy doll and have it stare at people for you.

Fibriso
2019-03-09, 05:13 PM
Are there any variants for the Pathfinder Witch that stores her spells closer to a Sorcerer?
One that doesn't have a Familiar?

I know you think "Just play a Sorcerer!" but I want to keep Hexes and Healing magic being a thing.

So does anything like this exist?

awesome choice is a Wyrmwitch archetype, which has the most cool and Epic familiar variant i have ever seen (and it is a core paizo,), but it limits patron choices.
for some reason, on d20pfsrd it is not shown in witch description, it is hiden under Witch under Archetypes menu...

second option is a Jewel Bound Familiar Hex, but that needs a Kitsune race (and it is Everyman Gaming, LLC , aka third party) and it "eats" one hex