PDA

View Full Version : Empowered evocation (and Hexblades curse) and Magic Missile

Malifice
2019-02-15, 12:52 AM
Both of these abilities expressly allow bonus damage to a single 'damage roll' (any damage for Hexblades curse, Evocation spells for Empowered evocation).

+ Int damage for EE.
+ Prof damage for HC.

By RAW, a Magic missile that targets 2 or more creatures gains the benefit of this ability (from the PHB page 196):

If a spell... deals damage to more than one target at the same time, roll the damage once for all of them. For example, when a wizard casts fireball or a cleric casts flame strike, the spell’s damage is rolled once for all creatures caught in the blast.

Magic missile (PHB 257) states:

You create three glowing darts of magical force. Each dart hits a creature of your choice that you can see within range. A dart deals 1d4 + 1 force damage to its target. The darts all strike simultaneously, and you can direct them to hit one creature or several.

So presuming a 9th level slot used for Magic Missile, from an Evoker 19 /Hexblade 1 with an Int score of 20, as long as I target at least 2 targets with Magic missile (I direct 1 missile to a mook, and the other 10 to a BBEG), the procedure becomes:

1. Roll 1 single d4+1 (spell) + 6 (Hexblades curse) + 5 (Int from Empowered evocation). Lets presume my d4 roll comes up a '3'. Total = 15. This is one damage roll.
2. BBEG takes 150 points of Force damage (10 darts x 15 from theone damage roll). The Mook takes 9 points (he isnt under the effects of the Curse).

However (and weirdly) if I instead targetted only the BBEG, the RAW for targetting multiple creatures with a spell simultaneously (make only a single damage roll) no longer applies as I am only targeting a single creature (and not multiple creatures simultanously).

Instead, each missile now becomes its own seperate source of damage. Accordingly I only add the +5 from Empowered evocation to one of those rolls... however Hexblades curse still applies to all of them (making the damage to the BBEG lower at 11d4+82).

What the actual ****?

My own view is that I'm pretty sure the intent was for you to add the Hexblades curse and EE damage only once for that casting (meaning you should only get the +11 bonus once. to a single target, and not to each dart). Im a bit flabbergasted why they dont simply make that clear in the wording of Magic Missile.

What are peoples thoughts on this?

OvisCaedo
2019-02-15, 01:50 AM
JC's "official" twitter rulings (https://twitter.com/JeremyECrawford/status/557823175581769729) on the RAW of this is that magic missile is ALWAYS a single roll, even if they're all targetting one person, and that Empowered Evocation absolutely adds its damage to every single one of the bolts because of this despite the fact that they errata-nerfed the feature to keep it from working on multi-attack spells that could actually miss.

My personal take? It's silly to let it work, but I also think the errata nerf to the feature was silly to begin with.