PDA

View Full Version : Player Help [3.5 & PF Question] Spell-like abilities and Spell Trigger and Spell Completion items

Arkhios
2019-02-15, 04:08 AM
So, I was wondering, does having a certain spell as a Spell-Like ability grant you the ability to use Spell Trigger or Spell Completion items regarding that same spell?

For example, if you had Acid Splash as a spell-like ability, could you use a Wand of Acid Splash without needing a Use Magic Device check?

The question above is relevant for both 3.5 and Pathfinder, but I'm aware that the answer might differ depending of the system so I'd like to hear both.

TIA!

Powerdork
2019-02-15, 08:47 AM
Using spell trigger items is part of the assumed training of classes that can cast a given spell (hence why 1st- to 3rd-level paladins and rangers can use cure wands), so if your class is the source of your spell-like ability, it ought to allow you to use those in that way. However, spell completion requires a specialized knowledge of how to cast arcane or divine (or psychic) spells, and using spell-like abilities is certainly not casting arcane or divine or psychic spells, even if they're arcane spell-like abilities in the way that a warlock's are.