PDA

View Full Version : Character creation troubles.

Shadowbane13
2019-02-15, 07:49 AM
So in my current campaign my character keeps coming close to dying so in preparation of his most likely up coming death I'm preparing a new toon. But need some help.

I'm a huge legend of zelda fan and figured this time round I'll use some outside inspiration for a character. I was wondering what people would suggest to make:

Link (obviously)

Zelda

Sheik (yes I know sheik is zelda OoT)

I'm leaning more towards link because I'd be replacing my own fighter but willing to take any really.

Thanks guys

MThurston
2019-02-15, 07:54 AM
Link would be a wood elf ranger.

Unoriginal
2019-02-15, 07:57 AM
Which Link or Zelda would you like most?

Not all the Links have the same powers and training. Same for the different Zeldas.

nickl_2000
2019-02-15, 07:58 AM
Link would be a wood elf ranger.

This would be a very good choice, as would a Wood Elf Dex Battlemaster/Samauri/Cavalier Fighter.

Madfellow
2019-02-15, 08:11 AM
I'm a huge legend of zelda fan and figured this time round I'll use some outside inspiration for a character. I was wondering what people would suggest to make:

Link (obviously)

Zelda

Sheik (yes I know sheik is zelda OoT)

I'm leaning more towards link because I'd be replacing my own fighter but willing to take any really.

I would use human or half-elf for all of these, depending on how you interpret Hylian ancestry. Link could go a number of different ways, depending on which aspects you prefer to focus on. Any variation of fighter, paladin, or ranger would work for him, I think. The folk hero or outlander backgrounds would suit him best.

Likewise with Zelda, you could build her as a bard, cleric, sorcerer (divine soul), warlock (fey or celestial pact), or wizard. The noble background is an obvious choice here, but acolyte or sage could work as well.

Shiek could be built as a monk, rogue, or possibly bard. Whatever background you pick for Zelda would fit for Shiek as well. You could get two characters for the price of one if you build Zelda/Shiek together as a bard. Again, pretty much any subclass would work here.

Zhorn
2019-02-15, 08:14 AM
Can we order off menu?
Because the idea of if a Skull Kid Warlock(Archfey)/Bard(Whispers) appeals to me.

WeaselGuy
2019-02-15, 08:23 AM
For Sheikh, I'm thinking maybe a Half-Elf Mastermind Rogue, with the Sharpshooter and maybe even Actor ASIs, and probably the Spy Background.

Pixel_Kitsune
2019-02-15, 09:29 AM
Unoriginal makes a good point. Which Link are we talking about? LttP/WW is going to be a very different person from OoT/MM which is nothing like BotW, etc.

Man_Over_Game
2019-02-15, 04:33 PM
I've always been partial to filling roles that the team needs. Playing Link is fine, but you won't really stand out much in a team full of Rangers. Sheik is pretty badass, but will her mobility really matter if your team is full of glass cannons?

As for what is what, I'd probably say (non-multiclassing):

Link: Battlemaster Fighter, Hunter Ranger, Monster Slayer Ranger, Samurai Fighter. Or any build that doesn't use much magic and uses melee and ranged pretty evenly.

Zelda: Celestial Warlock, Divine Soul Sorcerer, Divination Wizard. These seem like the closest fits.

Sheik: Kensei Monk, Shadow Monk, Drunken Master Monk, Open Palm Monk. Virtually any Monk.

Shadowbane13
2019-02-16, 11:01 AM
Unoriginal makes a good point. Which Link are we talking about? LttP/WW is going to be a very different person from OoT/MM which is nothing like BotW, etc.

I would go either OoT or BotW

Unoriginal
2019-02-16, 12:59 PM
I would go either OoT or BotW

An expy of BotW Link could be represented by a Fighter, Champion, Cavalier, or arguably Samurai. Of all the Links, he's the one who's physically the strongest (without help from magical items), and he's been training as a Knight since early childhood. He's also great with all the weapons he encounters and can use a ton of different armors without any issues, but never demonstrate magic on his own. He is relentless when he fights, especially when protecting others (fitting Champion, Cavalier, and Samurai), and while he did get a courtly education he's not of high nobility (fitting the Cavalier and Samurai proficiencies). He is also very good with all kinds of ride-able animal. Not the most charismatic of the Links, though

An expy of OoT Link could berepresented by a Sword Bard, with the Folk Hero background. OoT Link has magic, notably from the songs he learns, is good with his limited selection of weapons but never wears armor, can make his attacks stronger via magic, and he is good at befriending and cheering people up.

Naanomi
2019-02-16, 08:49 PM
I like Link as a half-Elf Hexblade... most of his mystical ‘juice’ comes from his pact with the Master Sword; and the ladies love him