PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Hobgoblin Background

MalkavTheMaven
2019-02-15, 10:47 AM
Ok so I wanted to roll up a Hobgoblin for a game. I was thinking of making him either a Cleric (Hoping I get a high enough roll to warrant that +1 to Int) or a Wizard because they grant Light Armor and wouldn't look like a Wizard at all and thats half the fun.

But looking through the released background, on first glance I am not seeing a suitable background for a Hobgoblin period, let alone a Cleric or a Wizard classed one.
I like the idea of perhaps a Hobgoblin who lost his Legion after his Warlord and General underestimated a foe or rival legion. Or a Hobgoblin who broke from the Academy of Destruction seeing the value in utility spells and crowd control and not just a straight blaster focus and was shunned for it, exiled from his legion and left to drift on his own.

The later I like a little more, because when he joins the party he kind of adopts them as his Legion and falls into line with the other members envisioning the other members in ranks such as General and Warlord, so the party face may be his Warlord, and thus he follows their lead, etc.

Corran
2019-02-15, 11:03 AM
when he joins the party he kind of adopts them as his Legion and falls into line with the other members envisioning the other members in ranks such as General and Warlord, so the party face may be his Warlord, and thus he follows their lead, etc.
Soldier would be a good fit for something like that.

TyGuy
2019-02-15, 12:52 PM
But looking through the released background, on first glance I am not seeing a suitable background for a Hobgoblin period, let alone a Cleric or a Wizard classed one.

What?
As stated, a Soldier background is perfect for hobgoblins who have a military civilization. And Sage still works for a wizard, or Acolyte for a cleric.

Hermit works if you've been an outcast for a long time. Outlander is suitable if your banner was specialized in scouting. Pirate variant of sailor works if your banner/legion was oriented towards marine based combat and pillaging. Maybe life is hard as an lone monster race and you resorted to being a Criminal to get by. Or, you lie about being an outcast and you're really a Spy, taking notes and casing the best places for your host to pillage.