PDA

View Full Version : Ideas for minor passive buffs for wands/staves

poolio
2019-02-15, 02:02 PM
Greetings playgrounders, so like the title says, I'm just kinda fishing for ideas and opinions on some wands and staves, there's not much in the books other then the wand of the war mage, which is plus to hit and save dc of your spells,

So far all i got is maybe a plus 1 or 2 to damage with your spells, and/or some onece a day spells?

So, any ideas?

dejarnjc
2019-02-15, 02:56 PM
The world's your oyster.

Disarming wand [has a certain # of charges to try and make an object jump out of an opponent's possession]
Staff of tripping [expend a charge to knock an opponent prone]
Wand of fire enhancement [adds 1d6 fire damage to your fire spells] - Repeat w/ any element
Staff of shielding [there's on in Lost Mines of Phandelver that has 10 or so charges of the shield spell and does a couple of other things]
Wand of reflection [adds a +1 AC or a +1 save against magic attacks/effects]
Demolition wand [Spells do double damage against objects or structures]

Rixitichil
2019-02-15, 03:21 PM
Wands which enhance the effects of particular spells. Maybe one which empowers Ray of Frost to give a 20' movement reduction, or let's Acid Splash hit three targets. Increasing range might be another?

Orc_Lord
2019-02-15, 03:55 PM
My players had asked me for "cool magical items". I have been using this website a lot: http://www.lordbyng.net/inspiration/index.php

Even though my favorite was the sentient magical bell that had the soul of Becka from accounting. All house cats like you within a 250ft radius and they keep meowing until they are fed.

dejarnjc
2019-02-15, 04:39 PM
My players had asked me for "cool magical items". I have been using this website a lot: http://www.lordbyng.net/inspiration/index.php

Even though my favorite was the sentient magical bell that had the soul of Becka from accounting. All house cats like you within a 250ft radius and they keep meowing until they are fed.

This is a pretty great site. Thanks :)

opaopajr
2019-02-15, 06:23 PM
Basically any feature of ability in PHB or the like is your oyster. Pick a fun clause and attach! Staff of the Halfling Luck? Sure! Wand of Prestidigitized Caltrops (up to 3 uses lasting for an hour)? Hey, it's your campaign!

poolio
2019-02-15, 06:55 PM
The world's your oyster.

That's part of my problem actually lol with limitless possibilities i tend to over do things like this, i usually end up making things that have way to many uses or add a bunch of extra bookkeeping ect.

But you had some good suggestions, thanks :)

poolio
2019-02-15, 06:57 PM
Wands which enhance the effects of particular spells. Maybe one which empowers Ray of Frost to give a 20' movement reduction, or let's Acid Splash hit three targets. Increasing range might be another?
Ooh modifying cantrips, i hadn't thought of that, that's a good one, thanks for the ideas :)

poolio
2019-02-15, 07:02 PM

I love that site! I've been using a lot for my games :)

Lunali
2019-02-15, 11:45 PM
there's not much in the books other then the wand of the war mage, which is plus to hit and save dc of your spells,

Just want to point out that wand of the war mage gives + to hit and lets you ignore half cover, it does not help save DC.

poolio
2019-02-16, 12:13 AM
Just want to point out that wand of the war mage gives + to hit and lets you ignore half cover, it does not help save DC.

Oops, your right, thanks for letting me know.