PDA

View Full Version : Rules Q&A Turned Into a Golem Trap

unseenmage
2019-02-15, 09:13 PM
Is there a RAW way to turn a PC into a Golem using a trap?
Core Golems would be fine, nothing to exotic necessary.

Playing a Golem can really suck, I figure getting turned into one works as a decent debuff in a way.

It should be reversible but not too easily so.
Should trap their mind so the Golem acts appropriately mindless, possibly even going berserk.
Should be for a meaningful duration as well; transforming for only a few rounds isnt really worth it.

What's the lowest CR such a trap could have?

Deophaun
2019-02-15, 09:22 PM
Nothing I can think of that does that. However, strikes me that you could base it off of magic jar, with the target character's soul being placed in the jar, and then releasing the golem when the trap has successfully triggered.

I could see it as a kind of Iron Man suit gone wrong: the wizard who developed it intended to climb inside and use his life force to animate it while also controlling it, and instead just became a battery for a mindless automaton.

RoboEmperor
2019-02-15, 09:25 PM
PaO using the Rules of the Game article. Cast twice to be permanent.

Deophaun
2019-02-15, 09:28 PM
PaO using the Rules of the Game article. Cast twice to be permanent.
Well, you'd be a golem in form, but you're not getting any of the special qualities of it, like Magic Immunity.

RoboEmperor
2019-02-15, 09:29 PM
Well, you'd be a golem in form, but you're not getting any of the special qualities of it, like Magic Immunity.

He is mindless though.

Ruethgar
2019-02-15, 09:37 PM
The Raggamoffyn does something similar.

Mr Adventurer
2019-02-16, 07:10 AM
Flesh to Stone followed by Animate Objects on the statue would work for a few rounds.

Maze followed by Summon Golem would give a similar appearance. Summon Golem lasts for 1 minute per level.

Zaq
2019-02-16, 11:14 AM
Flesh to Stone followed by Animate Objects on the statue would work for a few rounds.

Maze followed by Summon Golem would give a similar appearance. Summon Golem lasts for 1 minute per level.

Ooh, I like that flesh to stone plus animate objects option. That's really clever. ("Like" being contingent upon already accepting the concept of "save or lose your entire character for an extended period of time," which I generally find to be incredibly problematic. But it seems like you're already determined to make one or more players sit bored at the table as the penalty for failing one die roll, so if we're already in that mindset, flesh to stone plus animate objects is clever.)

Just how long did you have in mind, unseenmage?

RoboEmperor
2019-02-16, 11:23 AM
I like to point out the Animated Object is not the PC but a separate creature under the control of the trap. If you doubt me check out the Blackstone Gigant in FF. You can hit it with a permanency trap to make it last longer.

Mr Adventurer
2019-02-16, 02:10 PM
Yes, none of my ideas result in a player-controlled option.

Telonius
2019-02-17, 11:08 AM
I suppose it would be possible to have a trap that turns a character into a half-golem. Once the limbs are created, they're treated as spell completion items. You could have some gizmo that automatically severs a character's limb and attaches the golem limb.

RoboEmperor
2019-02-17, 11:11 AM
I suppose it would be possible to have a trap that turns a character into a half-golem. Once the limbs are created, they're treated as spell completion items. You could have some gizmo that automatically severs a character's limb and attaches the golem limb.

No you can't. Gizmos don't have Craft Construct.

unseenmage
2019-02-17, 11:13 AM

Just how long did you have in mind, unseenmage?
Sorry for the late reply, am still pondering. Long enough to be awful but not long enough to kill off the character completely.

Compare to say lycanthropy or maybe that spell that specifically turns folk into little animals.