PDA

View Full Version : Good ways to get a hold of Dresden files rpg legally

Shuruke
2019-02-15, 09:14 PM
So once upon a time I read the Dresden file books and a friend invited me to a campaign (was very new to rpgs this was my first)

We made characters

We did the linked backgrounds etc

And we played a session.

It died out because the dm realized he let the mini maxer make to strong of a character (a loup gauru) and well he was a big deal and it took away from the story.

I've wanted to get into this rpg but i am having hard time getting a hold of it.
(Local shops dont have it and I don't do very much online shopping so dont know what to trust etc.)

Lord Raziere
2019-02-15, 09:51 PM
generally, the online shopping for rpgs is drivethrurpg.com. its basically THE online rpg shop. its the site your can trust as pretty much every or most rpg companies use it, and you buy to download the pdfs as long as you pay the prices which are generally less expensive, there is also print on demand options I think for some books, but those are slower.

if you don't like that, your out of options to get dresden files rpg.

JoeJ
2019-02-15, 09:59 PM
generally, the online shopping for rpgs is drivethrurpg.com. its basically THE online rpg shop. its the site your can trust as pretty much every or most rpg companies use it, and you buy to download the pdfs as long as you pay the prices which are generally less expensive, there is also print on demand options I think for some books, but those are slower.

if you don't like that, your out of options to get dresden files rpg.

Amazon also has it in dead tree format.

Knaight
2019-02-15, 10:09 PM
DrivethruRPG has you covered, but you can also buy directly from Evil Hat. Both are legitimate sites.

Shuruke
2019-02-15, 10:35 PM
thanks everyone I'm taling notes and will have it in few months after I'm done moving from nw to Colorado !!

I'm excited I remember it being relatively free form and open to creativity from players and the people I dm for i think will love it

Knaight
2019-02-17, 03:34 PM
I'm excited I remember it being relatively free form and open to creativity from players and the people I dm for i think will love it

It's a Fate game, so yes to the first clause (I can't speak to your players). Which reminds me - while DF isn't free legally a decent chunk of Fate is. DF is an older product, so you'll probably want to look at both free contemporary stuff (Spirit of the Century, Fate 2), and more recent ones in the same system (Fate Core, Fate Accelerated Edition).

Shuruke
2019-02-22, 08:37 AM
It's a Fate game, so yes to the first clause (I can't speak to your players). Which reminds me - while DF isn't free legally a decent chunk of Fate is. DF is an older product, so you'll probably want to look at both free contemporary stuff (Spirit of the Century, Fate 2), and more recent ones in the same system (Fate Core, Fate Accelerated Edition).

Thanks! I appreciate all the help from everyone

LankyOgre
2019-02-23, 10:27 PM
Sorry for the late post.
There are two different Dresden Files RPG and Dresden Files Accelerated, so get whatever one you want and your friend has. Also, if you can get a local store to order it, Evil Hat will give you the PDF for free with a receipt. https://www.evilhat.com/home/pdf-guarantee/

As an aside. The DFRPG origina game doesn't have rules for a loup garou as a player character. It also has character levels for how many abilities to make them balanced. I'd love to talk about this game if you'd like. I've had it since preorder and enjoy it an awful lot.

Kardwill
2019-03-01, 08:40 AM
Sorry for the late post.

As an aside. The DFRPG origina game doesn't have rules for a loup garou as a player character. It also has character levels for how many abilities to make them balanced. I'd love to talk about this game if you'd like. I've had it since preorder and enjoy it an awful lot.

Yeah, I can't see a true Loup Garou as a player character in DFRPG : both too powerful (an immortal, unstoppable killing machine with a rare weakness), and too limited (its powers activate only in very specific circonstances, and it has no control over them)
It could probably be done in DFA, though, since the power level stuff is not as important in the looser accelerated game.

I'm currently GMing a "Boston Files" DFRPG campaign, and we really enjoy it too. City creation has been a really awesome tool to build our game around the characters and to ensure everyone is excited about the premise, and the games works pretty well for our mix of character-centered drama and supernatural mystery.
The fact that my players came up with characters I'm fan of helps a lot, of course ^^

My only pet peeve would be the overall crunchyness of the game. It's quite rule-heavy for a Fate game, and although that crunchyness allows us to model quite precisely the magic, creatures and powers from the books, it can be a little overwhelming at times. And it allows unholy levels of munchkinism, especially for wizard characters.
I've been tempted to convert the campaign into the simpler, more open-ended DFA. I kinda fell in love with the mantles defining the characters : sure, they are not balance, but everyone gets cool stuff to play with, even the mortals. :smallsmile: