PDA

View Full Version : Alternate Beholder attacks.

OrangeK
2019-02-16, 10:35 AM
I am currently dming a campaign where I'm running a group of six players who are currently at level 5 through undermountain. I have had to scale the combat encounters up a bit as my group works extremely well together in combat and there's two more players than the recommended amount for Mad mage. Anyhow, we ended last session just as they rolled initiative with a random Beholder that I put in there. I want to mix it up a bit, so in my head Cannon this Beholder has been altered by black cloak. I would like to keep its eye Ray functions, but maybe change them up to reflect a Beholder that has been driven insane and extensively experimented on. Given his compunction to Simply mess with the people in undermountain rather than try to outright kill them I had been considering replacing some of the more deadly Ray attacks with things like temporary Madness, diseases and other detrimental conditions. Possibly banishment to a demiplane or something. making an altering monsters is something that is new to me so I would love some input on what you guys think would be some good options

OrangeK
2019-02-16, 10:56 AM
Ideas thus far

Polymorph
Banish
Curse
Temp. Madness
Phantasmal Killer
"Slimify" (changes pc into semi formless slime version of itself. Gear falls away and all combat actions are replaced by a 1d10 acid slam. Cant cast magic. Must be dispeled or greater resto to go back to normal.)
Contagion
Lower dmg Chain Lightning.

Shuruke
2019-02-16, 11:07 AM
You could jave it give stacks of exaughstion that all go away after a long rest

Give it something like ray of sickness but have it be one save and an hour of poison condition

Just those two alone are rather nasty

Could do something like a freeze ray that puts them in a forced tomb of levistus dealing 2d6 ice damage before temp hp is given and have it last until temp hp is depleted (ie an ally has to go attack the ice)

For some comedic fights

Things like 30 foot radius of grease with the dc to not go prone like dc 16-18

Ray of confusion or enemies abound but single target

A ray of color spray or hypnotic pattern.
If color spray have it act like a 3rd level cast (10d10 worth of hp)

Steel Mirror
2019-02-16, 11:44 AM
Ray of Gravity Reversal: The target must succeed on a DC 16 Dexterity saving throw or be affected. An affected creature (as well as all objects it is holding or wearing) experiences gravity in the opposite direction of normal, i.e. the ceiling will become the 'floor' to them and vice versa. Typically this involves "falling" straight upward onto the ceiling of whatever area they are currently in, including appropriate fall damage. This effect lasts for 1d8 rounds, though in the penultimate round the target will begin to feel weightless as gravity starts to return to normal for them.

Ray of Body Switching: This ray targets all creatures in a 30 foot cone. Each target must make a DC 16 Wisdom saving throw. On a success, an individual target is unaffected. If 2 or more targets fail their saving throws, then each target's mind is randomly swapped into another of the target bodies. While they are body swapped, they gain full control over their temporary body, including physical ability scores, class abilities, spells prepared, and so on. While their mental ability scores remain the same, the spell DCs and other variable effects based on mental ability scores do not change (this saves time at the table). This effect lasts until the beholder is slain or a long rest concludes. (For added hilarity, it could last until Remove Curse or something similar is used). If one of the targets is dead when the effect ends, the body switching becomes permanent.

Ray of Liquefaction: This ray does not target creatures, but rather terrain. When used, draw a straight line that is up to 30 feet long across the battlefield. Any square the line passes through is liquified into something like quicksand. Objects sitting on the ground immediately begin to sink into it, and any creatures standing on or walking into one of the squares must make a Dexterity Save DC 16 or have their feet become trapped and their move speed reduced to 0. At the end of each round, a creature is trapped in the quicksand sinks further in. It may attempt to escape as a move action by making a DC 16 Strength check. After 6 rounds in quicksand, the creature is completely dragged into the terrain and begins to suffocate. The Ray of Liquefaction lasts for 1d8 rounds, at the end of which the terrain returns to its normal solid state. Any item or creature partially or completely immersed in quicksand is locked in place, and can be recovered by digging into the ground in order to release them.

Okay, those are a bit wordy and complicated, but it's what came to mind when I tried to think of weirder Beholder eye rays that might lead to a more unusual set of challenges for a fight!

OrangeK
2019-02-16, 11:58 AM
Awesome ideas! I really like the ice tomb and the body swap.

Also looking at replacing the central eye antimagic. Im thinking darkness or a repulsion effect

OrangeK
2019-02-16, 12:03 PM
another thing I was considering was having the experimentation be replacing the original eyeballs of the beholder with the eyes of other monsters that have gaze attacks, and then incorporating them that way. I was also considering replacing two of the eye stalks with 10 ft reach tentacles with a bludgeoning damage attack and a grapple option. The combat is taking place in a pretty narrow Corridor so the thought of getting smashed around against the Walls by a tentacle is pretty cool as well

OrangeK
2019-02-16, 12:05 PM
Ill post a full alteration stat block when complete

Danielqueue1
2019-02-16, 01:53 PM
Have the central eye inflict the blinded condition. It still shuts down spells that require seeing your target, but also affects physical attackers. Also unlike darkness, the beholder will be able to use its eye rays on the party in the cone.

OrangeK
2019-02-16, 07:25 PM
Have the central eye inflict the blinded condition. It still shuts down spells that require seeing your target, but also affects physical attackers. Also unlike darkness, the beholder will be able to use its eye rays on the party in the cone.

This is tasty. As my design i blinded its eyes gave it blindsight and changed the wordibg its eye rays to say a target it senses not a target it sees.
I figured cannonicaly blinding a beholder would certainly help drive it insane.

ImproperJustice
2019-02-16, 08:36 PM
Ray of Gibberish: Confounds the speech of the target, preventing spellcasting with verbal components and any form of intelligible speech.

Can be removed with a casting of Comprehend Languages or Lesser Restoration.

Lodestone Ray: Multiplies the weight of currently carried equipment by a factor of 10. Encumbrance rules suddenly apply

Philosopher’s Ray: Turns any Gold on the subject’s persom to turn to lead. May be restored with a remove curse or by an hour long ceremony performed by a transmutation Wizard. Assuming you can pay for their service.

Time Slip Ray: Reverses the last actiom of the target struck. If a spell was cast, negate it’s wffect and reatore the slot, wounds heal from a previous attack, etc....

OrangeK
2019-02-19, 11:36 AM
Ok im almost done. will post final draft tonight, but i wanted some opinions.

I started with the MM Beholder.

Here is a list of the only changes ive made thus far.

Lowered INT and CHA to 10 to reflect how its mind has been addled and it is now far more grotesque than before if that was possible.

I gave it immunity to being blinded as it was Blinded through Halaster's experimentation.
I replaced its vision with Blindsight out to 60ft and its blind beyond that range.

It has only a +6 to perception as opposed to the +12

I took some of the dedlier eye rays away and added some new ones (i took away Enevenration, Disintigration and Death ray as i wanted this monster to focus on altering the players physical and mental condition as opposed to doing heavy damage.

I also took 2 eye rays away and replaced them with Tentacles. very Similar in build to the otyugh.

I liked the idea of this wild, raging blind beholder randomly shooting eye rays (all his eye stock eyes are replaced with gemstone fascimiles)
and thrashing blindly and wildly with tentacles it isnt used to having.

thoughts??

Semi-Final draft to follow this evening for final opinions.

OrangeK
2019-02-20, 04:59 PM
Here is the finished product.

Phalerax the Tortured Beholder
Large aberration, Chaotic Evil
Armor Class 18 (natural armor)
Hit Points 180 (19d10 + 76)
Speed 0 ft., fly 20 ft.
STR
10 (+0)

DEX
16 (+3)

CON
18 (+4)

INT
10 (+0)

WIS
15 (+2)

CHA
10 (+0)

Saving Throws Wis +6
Skills Perception +6
Condition Immunities blinded, prone
Senses blindsight 60 ft. (blind beyond this radius), passive Perception 16
Languages Deep Speech, Undercommon
Challenge 12 (8,400 XP)
Blind Rage. Phalerax must expend its attack action before moving each turn. If Phalerax is unable to make an attack, it must try and use its movement to move into range for that enables it to do so.
All Eye Ray attack targets are selected at random and all melee attacks are made against the closest possible target.
Actions
Multiattack. Phalerax makes 2 Tentacle Attacks.
1.) Bite. Melee Weapon Attack: +5 to hit. reach 5ft. one target. Hit: 14 (4d6) Piercing Damage.
2.) Tentacle. Melee Weapon Attack: +4 to hit, reach 10ft., one target. Hit: 10 (1d12+4) bludgeoning damage. If the target is Medium or Smaller, it is grappled (escape DC 13) and restrained until the grapple ends. Phalerax has 2 Tentacles, each of which can grapple a target.
3.) Tentacle Slam. Phalerax slams creatures grappled by it into each-other, against a solid surface, or into another creature within 10ft. Each creature must succeed on a DC 16 CON. Saving Throw or take 14 (2d8+6) Bludgeoning damage and be stunned until the end of Tortured Beholder's next turn. On a successful save, the targets take half damage and aren't stunned.
4.) Eye Rays. Phalerax shoots three of the following magical eye rays at random (reroll duplicates), choosing one to three targets it can sense within 60 ft. of it:

1. Paralyzing Ray. The targeted creature must succeed on a DC 16 Constitution saving throw or be paralyzed for 1 minute. The target can repeat the saving throw at the end of each of its turns, ending the effect on itself on a success.

2. Sickness Ray. The targeted creature must succeed on a DC 16 Constitution saving throw or be sickened for 5 minutes. The targets speed is reduced to 0, and it is incapacitated as it spends its turn vomiting violently. The target can repeat the saving throw at the end of each of its turns, ending the effect on itself on a success.

3. Slowing Ray. The targeted creature must succeed on a DC 16 Dexterity saving throw. On a failed save, the target’s speed is halved for 1 minute. In addition, the creature can’t take reactions, and it can take either an action or a bonus action on its turn, not both. The creature can repeat the saving throw at the end of each of its turns, ending the effect on itself on a success.

4. Petrification Ray. The targeted creature must make a DC 16 Dexterity saving throw. On a failed save, the creature begins to turn to stone and is restrained. It must repeat the saving throw at the end of its next turn. On a success, the effect ends. On a failure, the creature is petrified until freed by the greater restoration spell or other magic.

5. Madness Ray. The targeted creature must make a DC 16 Wisdom Saving throw. On a failed save the creature suffers from a random effect from the table below. It lasts 24 hours. The target can repeat the saving throw at the end of its turn. If the target fails the saving throw three times the effect lasts until the duration ends or it is cured magically. After three successes, the effect ends. The successes and failures don’t need to be consecutive; keep track
of both until you collect three of a kind. the target can be cured by use of the calm emotions spell, greater restoration or similar healing magic.

1: The character retreats into his or her mind and becomes paralyzed. This effect ends if the character takes any damage.

2: The character becomes incapacitated and spends the duration screaming, laughing, or weeping.

3: The character becomes frightened and must use his or her action and movement each round to flee from the source of the fear. If the character cannot see the source of the fear her or she is obsessed with thoughts its being watched and/or followed by or is about to be ambushed by the source of the fear.

4: The character begins babbling and is incapable of normal speech or spellcasting.

5: The character goes into a mindless rage and must use his or her action each round to attack the nearest creature.

6: The character experiences vivid hallucinations and has disadvantage on ability checks.

7: The character is suddenly convinced he or she is someone else entirely. They have no recollection of their real identity, memories, or life and acts as if under the effects of the confusion spell for the duration.

8: The character experiences an overpowering urge to eat something strange such as dirt, slime, or offal. It must spend its movement and/or action each turn doing attempting to do so.

9: The characters mind is blasted nearly clean. It's Intelligence score is reduced to 4, it is stunned, and it can only move in a random aimless fashion.

10: The character falls unconscious and is wracked with mind destroying nightmares. On each of its turns it takes 8 (3d4) psychic damage. If reduced to 0 HP this way, the target doesnt die, but becomes a brain dead vegetative state. for magical resurrection purposes the brain is effectively removed.

Eye Rays (cont.).
6. Constricting Slime Ray. The target must make a DC 16 Dexterity saving throw. On a failed save the target is encased in a rapidly tightening coat of hardening slime, is restrained (escape DC 20 STR) and begins to suffocate. At the beginning of its turn, the target takes 14 (4d6) bludgeoning damage as the slime hardens and tightens. When the slime casing reaches 0 HP these effects end. The slime casing has an AC of 0, and 40 HP. Additionally, Any damage dealt to the slime casing that would reduce it to less than 0 carried over to the encased target.

7. Kinetic Ray. The target must make a DC 16 Dexterity saving throw. On a failed save the target takes 21 (6d6) force damage and is thrown backwards 20ft, landing prone. On a successful save the target takes half damage and isn't thrown.

8. Mutation Ray. The target must make a DC 16 Constitution saving throw. On a failed save the target is horribly mutated. Roll twice on the table below to determine the effects of the mutation, re-roll any duplicates. The target can be restored to normal by a single use of greater restoration, 2 separate uses of lesser restoration (each use curing a single condition) or similar healing magic.

1: Tentacle Arms The targets arms mutate into slimy tentacles. The target can no longer perform fine motor skills such as the use of tools or somatic components of spells, he or she can only wield simple melee weapons. The targets unarmed attacks become 1d6.

2: Cyclops The Targets eyes fuse into one massive cyclpotic eye. The target has disadvantage on any ranged attacks beyond 20ft and has disadvantage on saving throws against being blinded. The target gains 20ft darkvision if it did not already have it.

3: Slug Form The Targets lower half is mutates into a grotesque slug-like form. The targets speed is reduced to 15 feet, and it gains a climb speed of 15 feet. The slug body leaves behind a trail of sticky slime that is difficult terrain, each trail of slime fades at the beginning of the the targets next turn.

4: Cursed Bones The targets spine hunches over in a twisted fashion, spikes and bony extrusions jut from the targets back, forearms, chest and skull. The target has disadvantage on all Dexterity checks and saving throws, cannot wear armor and its Charisma score decreases by 4. The Target gains a natural armor class of 12+Con Mod and its unarmed strikes become 1d4 slashing damage bone claws.

5: Twisted Visage The Targets facial features and structure mutate into terrifying and revolting new forms. The Targets Charisma score is reduced by 10, it also gains the Frightful Presence feature.

6: Meltflesh The targets skin becomes a thick, weeping, semi-translucent acidic slime. The targets skin must be frequently moistened with fresh water, which it must immerse in or douse itself in every 10min (at least 4 liters). If not, the target takes 2d4 acid damage every minute. After several hours the acidity would likely begin to do severe damage to any worn gear. Any creatures grappled by the target take 2d6 acid damage, and at the start of each the targets turns.

7: Brute The target mutates in to a twisted, hulking mindless brute it does retain it's memories and alignment, and barely maintains the ability to speak coherently. The Target's Intelligence score is reduced to 4. Its size increases one category as the target nearly doubles in stature. its Strength increases by 8.

8: Cavern Body The targets body and senses mutate to adapt to a life underground, its skin becomes milky white, its eyes become huge and black, and its ears grow massive and bat-like. The target suffers from the Sunlight Sensitivity feature, except in the presence of any light. If subjected to direct sunlight the target takes 1d8 Radiant damage per minute. It gains darkvision of 120ft, and has advantage on any perception checks to hear or listen. The target has disadvantage on saving throws against being blinded or deafened if either effect is due to overwhelming sound or light.

9: Arm Disproportion One of the Targets arms mutates to abnormal size, while the other shrinks to a shrunken withered baby arm (choose at random). The tiny arm cannot perform any normal tasks such as opening doors or working tools nor can it wield any weapons or a shield, or perform somatic movements. the unarmed strike of the giant arm becomes a 1d10+Str Mod.

10: Wretched Twin A toddler sized twin, twisted and melted looking forms on the targets chest, side or back. The target cannot wear armor as normal. This twin is alive and alert. It speaks whatever languages the target does, and does so in a shirking, vulgar, spiteful and mean way. It renders stealth impossible is it constantly screaming complaints and vulgarities. The target cannot be surprised by a melee attacker as the shirking twin would warn of danger to itself.

11: Rubber Bones The targets bones become rubbery and unsupportive. The target has disadvantage on Strength and Dexterity checks, vulnerability to bludgeoning damage, and +5 ft. reach to melee attacks.

12: Extra Appendages The target sprouts random malformed limbs from locations of the DM's choosing. Roll 1d4 to determine the number of appendages, then roll 1d12 for each and select from the table below. In the event of a new head, the DM controls the other head, but it exerts no control over the body, except for any new limbs that also came with this mutation.

1. Arm 2. Leg 3, Arm (other species) 4. Leg (Other Species) 5. Head (Twin)
6. Tusks / Horns 7. Head (Other Species) 8. Tail 9. Wing
10. Tentacle 11. Eyes (roll 1d6 for Qty.) 12. Bizarre (DM's choice)
Legendary Actions
Phalerax can take 3 legendary actions, choosing from the options below. Only one legendary action option can be used at a time and only at the end of another creature's turn. Phalerax regains spent legendary actions at the start of its turn.

Eye Ray. Phalerax makes a random Eye Ray attack.
Tentacle. Phalerax makes a single Tentacle Attack.
Tentacle Slam (Costs 2 Actions). Phalerax makes a Tentacle Slam Attack.

OrangeK
2019-02-21, 01:29 PM
Yea. I ran him last night. It was a lot of dice rolls. Which we all love. He ran wonderfuly.

R.i.p.