PDA

View Full Version : D&D 3.x Other Beast as a Race (Beauty and the Beast)

Ranged Ranger
2019-02-16, 02:18 PM
Working along the same line of thought that originally led to the Wildking (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?580214-Wildking-New-Animal-Magical-Beast-based-on-Beauty-and-the-Beast), but replacing lycanthropy with shapechanging, the curse trapped the prince in his less human form... Given that according to Lumiere, the prince was 11 when he was cursed, and his parents were apparently either dead or absent, he may not have even realized he was a shapechanger if the ability normally manifested during puberty...

https://clockworkforest.files.wordpress.com/2019/02/beastsizecomparison2.png
Valyz
• Humanoid (Human, Shapechanger)
• Medium-sized: Valyz have no special bonuses or penalties due to their size.
• Valyz base speed is 30 feet
• Alternate form: Valyz have two forms, one in which they look like a normal human and one where they have a more beastly appearance. Switching between these forms is a full round action that provokes attacks of opportunity (but can’t be disrupted). Both forms are equally natural to the Valyz, and anyone looking at them with True Seeing or a similar affect would see them flickering between the two forms in a manner very distinct from how a polymorphed individual appears. When a Valyz dies, there is a 25% chance that they will switch to their other form regardless of which form they were in when they died. Their beastly form grants them the following.

o +4 Str, -2 Dex, +2 Con, - 4 Wis: The increase in Constitution increases the Valyz’s hit points by 2 points per level, but these hit points go away when they switch back to their human form and their Constitution score drops back down. (These extra hit points are not lost first the way temporary hit points are.)
o Large-sized: -1 penalty to Armor Class, -1 penalty on attack rolls, -4 penalty on Hide checks, +4 bonus on grapple checks, lifting and carrying limits double those of Medium characters.
o Valyz base speed is 40 feet, and if they are on all fours this increases to 60 feet.
o Low-light Vision: In their Beastly form, they can see twice as far as a human in starlight, moonlight, torchlight, and similar conditions of poor illumination. He retains the ability to distinguish color and detail under these conditions.
o Scent: Valyz can detect opponents within 30 feet by sense of smell. If the opponent is upwind, the range increases to 60 feet; if downwind, it drops to 15 feet. Strong scents, such as smoke or rotting garbage, can be detected at twice the ranges noted above. Overpowering scents, such as skunk musk or troglodyte stench, can be detected at triple normal range. The creature can pinpoint locations only within 5 feet. This creature can follow tracks by smell with a Wisdom check (DC 10, +2 for every hour the trail is cold).
o Natural Armour: +5
o Natural Weapons: Valyz have two primary claw attacks that deal 1d8 points of slashing damage plus Strength bonus, and a secondary bite attack that deals 1d8 points of piercing damage plus 1/2 Strength bonus.
o Frightful Presence (Ex): When a Valyz roars or if they lift a grappled opponent off the ground, their very presence becomes unsettling to foes. Opponents within 30 feet who witness the action may become frightened or shaken for 5d6 rounds. This ability affects only opponents with fewer Hit Dice or levels than the creature has. An affected opponent can resist the effects with a successful Will save (DC 10 + Cha modifier). An opponent that succeeds on the saving throw is immune to that same creature’s frightful presence for 24 hours. Frightful presence is a mind-affecting fear effect.
• Powerful Stance (Ex): A quark of their Alternate Form allows them to function in many ways as if they were still one size category larger while in their human form. Whenever a is subject to a size modifier or special size modifier for an opposed check (such as during grapple checks, bull rush attempts, and trip attempts), the Valyz is treated as one size larger if doing so is advantageous to him. A Valyz can use weapons designed for a creature one size larger without penalty. However, his space and reach remain those of a creature of his actual size. This does not allow them to be treated as one size larger when determining whether a creature’s special attacks based on size (such as improved grab or swallow whole) can affect him. The benefits of this racial trait stack with the effects of powers, abilities, and spells that change the subject’s size category, but is lost when they take their alternate form.
• Adaptability: At first level, the Valyz may select four skills. These skills are always class skills. Additionally, while in human form, the Valyz receives a +2 racial bonus to these skills.
• Spell-like Ability: While in human form, the Valyz can cast Lesser Vigor (self-only) 3/day.
• Human Blood: For all effects related to race, a Valyz is considered a human regardless of their current form.
• Automatic Language: Common. Bonus Languages: Any (other than secret languages, such as Druidic). See the Speak Language skill.
• Favored Class: Any. When determining whether a multiclass human takes an experience point penalty, his or her highest-level class does not count.
• LA:??

I'm fairly sure this will have LA, but am not sure how much...

rferries
2019-02-17, 09:28 PM
Are there any benefits to the human form? Unless you're a Wis-based caster, I can't see why they'd ever assume human form (except for roleplay/social campaigns).

Ranged Ranger
2019-02-18, 01:47 AM
Are there any benefits to the human form? Unless you're a Wis-based caster, I can't see why they'd ever assume human form (except for roleplay/social campaigns).

um.... now that you mention that.... good point.... (technically they can go through smaller passage ways, but that is hardly a compelling reason...)

need to add 'something there that wasn't there before.' ('What?')

Possibly fast healing while in human form? And drop Improved grab to partially mitigate the power boost....

Constant Endure Elements in human form?

Something else?

Any suggestions?

DMwithoutPC's
2019-02-18, 09:06 AM
There are roleplaying reasons to be in human form?

jintoya
2019-02-18, 04:55 PM
There are roleplaying reasons to be in human form?

I think in allot of campaigns, when you look like a 7' horned carnivore... You aren't let in to most towns.

In campaigns where everyone is willing to let a monster into town, I think you are at least dealing with mistrusting npcs and not getting benefit of the doubt.

In goofy campaigns it's not likely an rp issue, nobody in a goofy campaign is really expected to weigh the weight of their actions... That's what makes them outlandish and goofy.

Ranged Ranger
2019-02-21, 02:17 PM
Thanks for the help, I updated some things to hopefully add a reason to be in human form... I also need some input on the LA for this.

rferries
2019-02-24, 01:01 AM
Do they get human traits (bonus feat + skill points) as well?

As is, I'd say LA+1, very roughly equivalent to half-giants.

Not sure how I feel about the benefits for the "human" form. SLA's are good (a "cerebral" ability for the "civilised" form), but the environmental endurance seems better suited to the animalistic side. Maybe a bonus on Charisma-based checks, or access to Knowledge (nobility), like an aristocrat?

Maybe just polarise the ability modifiers even more... e.g. in human form a bonus to one or more mental ability scores; in beast form bonuses to physical ability scores, a +2 bonus to Wisdom (like all other animals), and severe penalties to Intelligence and Charisma.

Ranged Ranger
2019-02-24, 11:46 PM
Do they get human traits (bonus feat + skill points) as well?
No, but my most recent change should provide at least a little bit of that feel

As is, I'd say LA+1, very roughly equivalent to half-giants.

Not sure how I feel about the benefits for the "human" form. SLA's are good (a "cerebral" ability for the "civilised" form), but the environmental endurance seems better suited to the animalistic side. Maybe a bonus on Charisma-based checks, or access to Knowledge (nobility), like an aristocrat?

Maybe just polarise the ability modifiers even more... e.g. in human form a bonus to one or more mental ability scores; in beast form bonuses to physical ability scores, a +2 bonus to Wisdom (like all other animals), and severe penalties to Intelligence and Charisma.
On further consideration the environmental endurance wasn't really feeling right to me, so I changed it to something that should feel a bit more human... I'm also considering adding Empathy(Dr 313 p. 93) as a second human form only 3/day spell like...