PDA

View Full Version : Rules Q&A spell traps and exotic components

Dr.Drako
2019-02-16, 05:13 PM
I recently came across a thread that proposed the exploitation of the "create lantern archon" (cant post links yet, im new here)

the problem is that when it mentions the idea of a trap to get around the hour long casting time, it runs into the conumdrum of whether the sacrifice component is paid by the creator of the trap (like it would be for material or xp components) or paid by the person triggering the trap (since the book of exalted deeds states that in the case of casting through a magic item such as a scroll or a wand, the sacrifice component is paid by those using the magic item)

this also brings into question other exotic components, such as racial components of certain spells, where the caster needs to be a specific race, or things like abstinence and corruption components. does anyone know the rules on this?

edit: i ask this because my character wanted to make a setup to churn out lantern archons using lesser planar binding traps and create lantern archon traps to call lesser fiends like dretches, and then grind up their souls into little glowing balls of light, in the name of good. because nothing says good like grinding up souls to create sentient nightlights.