PDA

View Full Version : 3rd Ed Looking for cheapest sources of Cold Resistance 10

Jowgen
2019-02-16, 08:23 PM
As it says on the tin, I am looking for the cheapest means to get cold res of at least 10 onto a creature. This resistance needs to be active 24/7.

Just adding it as a magic item quality costs 12000 gp, but I am looking for cheaper than that.

I am chiefly looking for items to do this, but a +0 or +1 template might be considered.

I quietly curse Mantle of the Icy soul getting nerfed in SC...

The Dragonscale Cloak (MIC) would be a great option if the Relic Power could be UMD'd, but I am yet to find a sufficiently compelling argument to allow this.

So, can anyone got any nifty ideas?

Zaq
2019-02-16, 08:58 PM
If you’re capital-G Good, the base effect of Shape Soulmeld: Planar Chasuble is resist 10 cold. So that can be done with a feat or with a dip in incarnate (no more expensive than the +1 template you were considering).

If you REALLY want to, you could make a weak argument that those super-squishy sidebars in Arms and Equipment Guide about pricing magic items that grant feats could be invoked to put Shape Soulmeld on an item, but that’s beyond inelegant and doesn’t feel like a good-faith way to get to the goal.

Vizzerdrix
2019-02-17, 12:17 AM
I think one of the aberrant feats get it.

ExLibrisMortis
2019-02-17, 12:24 AM
I think one of the aberrant feats get it.
Starspawn and Waterspawn both grant resistance to cold 5; it takes Abberant Blood and one other abberant feat to get either one. If you have both, they can serve as prerequisite for one another, allowing you to DCFS the extra abberant feat away.

Arcanist
2019-02-17, 01:16 AM
I'll do you one better and throw full on immunity in your direction.

White Dragonspawn gives you the Cold subtype (since White Dragons have the Cold subtype), which makes you immune outright to Cold damage. The Template is a simple +1 LA and it also has the added benefit of being the Dragonspawn template which gives you all sorts of really nice good things as well.

Thurbane
2019-02-17, 03:27 AM
Quick search results:

Acolyte of the Skin PrC 6
Bone Plating graft gives resist cold 5, or adds 5 to existing cold resistance (9000gp)
Axiomatic Creature spell (if target had 4 or more HD; lawful or neutral creatures only)
Binder 5 (using 2 pact augmentations)
Brand of the Nine Hells (Levistus) (resist cold 20)
Cloud Anchorite PrC 8
Dark Creature template (CR +0 or +1 depending on base creature)
Favored Soul 5
Frost Mage PrC 2
Horizon Walker 6 (resist cold 20)
Lesser Aasimar or Lesser Tiefling (or any creature with resist cold 5) + Improved Energy Resistance feat
Master of Masks PrC 1 (lich mask)
Master of Shadow PrC 5
Sentinel of Bharrai PrC 2
Shadow Landscape spell (animals, plants, or magical beasts only)
Winterhaunt of Iborighu PrC 5

Maat Mons
2019-02-17, 03:56 AM
Frostblood orc or frostblood half-orc (Dragon Magic, p10) is a pretty easy way to get cold resistance 10 on an NPC.

The improved cold endurance feat (Frostburn, p48) can be taken multiple times for a stacking 5 resistance each time. It does have a prerequisite though.

Arkhios
2019-02-17, 04:14 AM
Pathfinder Chronicles Campaign Setting (designed for 3.5, mind you) had an alternative class feature for the barbarian, flavored for barbarians who hail from cold environments. it replaces Trap Sense with a Cold Resistance 2, that increases by 2 every three levels (levels when you normally would increase Trap Sense), capping out to Cold Resistance 12 at 18th level (which would be 10 at 15th level, obviously).

If a class wasn't set in stone, that would certainly last 24/7 and would be relatively free (only requiring a heavy investment in one class).

Since the Pathfinder Chronicles Campaign Setting is written with 3.5 in mind, I see little reason why not allow it along with all other 3.5 supplementary resources.

Jowgen
2019-02-17, 06:29 AM
Some excellent suggestions so far :smallsmile:

The feats (and cheesy items thereoff) for Shapesoulmend and Aberrant are likely out, as are PCCS ACF and White Dragonspawn due to setting (#KenderHate).

Frostblood Orc is an interesting option, as are Boneplate and Dark Creature (can't believe I forgot it gives that resistance...).

One undead specific option I myself have found that might work is the Vile Death (DN 7), which grants Fiendish template. Normally that would be out due to the LA, but as it is a dismiss-able spell with a permanent duration, unlike Nar Fiendbond (which also has the clause about the LA applying) I don't think the template's LA would matter anymore than with the collar of Umbral Metamorphosis.

Kalkra
2019-02-17, 10:27 AM
I think it says somewhere the discount relics get for needing a spell slot. Your DM might let you get an item which functions like a relic without needing a spell slot without that discount.

PoeticallyPsyco
2019-02-25, 09:37 PM
Frostblood orc/half-orc has already been mentioned, but here's another dragon related way to become resistant to energy:

If you're already dragonblood (which can be acquired with a single feat) and have a class that grants proficiency in heavy armor, then you should probably be taking the Dragonscale Husk ACF anyways. Among many features of this ACF (including 0% spell resistance), at 5th level they get resistance 5 to electricity, acid, fire, and cold; this increases to 10 at level 10. Note that only levels in classes that grant heavy armor proficiency count towards this. Secondary note: while you can't wear any armor with this ACF active, you can stack its bonus with that of Bracers of Armor or another item that provides an armor bonus to AC.

3Power
2019-02-25, 10:34 PM
Is this a playable character or an enemy the PCs are fighting?

The frost dwarf from the planar handbook also has 10 Cold resistance, but at +1 LA.

You're not going to find a 24/7 item cheaper than the baseline.

EDIT: A Lesser Clasp of Energy Protection (Cold), a magic item from the Magic Item Compendium, Grants Cold Resistance 10, but only until it absorbs 50 points of damage per day. It costs 1500 GP.

EDIT 2: Note also, however, that it only functions when attached to a magic suit of armor/shield/bracers etc.