PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Backup character help needed

TheAlmightyKue
2019-02-17, 01:14 AM
Ok so I am a noob to 5e, been playing PF and 3.5 for a few years but new to this system. I am involved in a game on Discord and my first time playing the system, we had a fight with some nasty furniture and got really low on HP, the npc healer was out of action due to plot, but eventually came through.

But given the dice bots want to murder me (I have rolled multiple 1s and 2s during the same encounter) I thought it wise to have a backup character up and running on the chance I might need it to plug into the campaign.

We are 3 players, one is a bard (Myself), the others are multiclass but mostly a fighter and a warlock. We have an NPC healbot (Warforged cleric)

So long story short (I know its already to long), I need help with a design. Now of course most times I would just roll the dice and work with them on a design. But there are rare dice rolls that leave you with far to many options to go. And I suffer from Paralysis of Choice at the moment.

Now I am gonna show you my dice roll, done on the bot we use in a PM, I removed my Discord handle and cropped it tight so not to show anyone I might have messaged or friends with (Privacy issues)
But I think you will see why I am stumped on what to roll up. Though I am fond of a Cleric myself just not a healbot. Or possibly a Wizard. I have found the new way they do prepared spells to be awesome fun.

http://i63.tinypic.com/2lu30aa.png
So... what do you all suggest?

CTurbo
2019-02-17, 03:14 AM
Ok so I am a noob to 5e, been playing PF and 3.5 for a few years but new to this system. I am involved in a game on Discord and my first time playing the system, we had a fight with some nasty furniture and got really low on HP, the npc healer was out of action due to plot, but eventually came through.

But given the dice bots want to murder me (I have rolled multiple 1s and 2s during the same encounter) I thought it wise to have a backup character up and running on the chance I might need it to plug into the campaign.

We are 3 players, one is a bard (Myself), the others are multiclass but mostly a fighter and a warlock. We have an NPC healbot (Warforged cleric)

So long story short (I know its already to long), I need help with a design. Now of course most times I would just roll the dice and work with them on a design. But there are rare dice rolls that leave you with far to many options to go. And I suffer from Paralysis of Choice at the moment.

Now I am gonna show you my dice roll, done on the bot we use in a PM, I removed my Discord handle and cropped it tight so not to show anyone I might have messaged or friends with (Privacy issues)
But I think you will see why I am stumped on what to roll up. Though I am fond of a Cleric myself just not a healbot. Or possibly a Wizard. I have found the new way they do prepared spells to be awesome fun.

http://i63.tinypic.com/2lu30aa.png
So... what do you all suggest?

Clerics are FAR more than just heal bots in 5e. If you want to be a Cleric, be a Cleric. I LOVE the Tempest domain and have played it 4 different times and not one time did I ever prioritize healing. You COULD build one without a single healing spell and still be awesome. With stats like that, you could have some fun for sure. Literally pick any race, but just as an example, lets choose Mountain Dwarf.

20 Str
18 Dex
20 Con
17 Int
18 Wis
7 Cha because you're super grumpy lol

Wear Plate, use a Warhammer + Shield or just use a Maul with no Shield. Your AC would be 18 or 20. Great either way.
Take Warcaster at 4, +2 Wis at 8, and then whatever you want at 12.

Being able to maximize thunder/lightning damage is awesome.

You could really have some fun with those stats.

Take Polearm Master at 4, Spell Sniper with Booming Blade at 8, and Warcaster at 12 and really wreck enemies with Booming Blade from 10ft away.

Another idea is to put the 7 in Int instead of Cha and grab Magic Initiate feat for Booming Blade and either Green Flame Blade, Shocking Grasp, or Lighting Lure and something like Find Familiar.
OR go Mostly Tempest but take 5 levels of Storm Sorcerer to get ALL the Lighting and Thunder spells including Lightning Bolt.

My other Suggestion is to play a Paladin. Put the 18s in Strm Dexm Con, and Cha and choose any race you want.

Zhorn
2019-02-17, 03:18 AM
dice bots want to murder me
Proceeds to roll 4x 18's and a 17...

Whelp, look like you'll have to play as MAD a build as possible. The dice gods have smiled upon you, and if any of those rolls go to waste then they will rain fury down upon you with the wrath of a thousand 1's.

CTurbo
2019-02-17, 03:22 AM

Whelp, look like you'll have to play as MAD a build as possible. The dice gods have smiled upon you, and if any of those rolls go to waste then they will rain fury down upon you with the wrath of a thousand 1's.

Paladin/Monk/Wizard??? lol

Ironically, that triple combo is too MAD even for those stats. You'd have to put the 7 in Con hahaha

TheAlmightyKue
2019-02-17, 06:37 AM
Paladin/Monk/Wizard??? lol

Ironically, that triple combo is too MAD even for those stats. You'd have to put the 7 in Con hahaha

Str: 8
Dex: 18
Con: 18
Int: 18
Wis: 18
Cha: 18
(Variant Human +1s to Wis and Con) Since Monk is a Dex focus anyway, and so is the Wizard. Your Pally half would just not be wearing Heavy Armor

But yeah way to MAD for me, and very hard concept to build around and not sound too goofy.

Clerics are FAR more than just heal bots in 5e. If you want to be a Cleric, be a Cleric. I LOVE the Tempest domain and have played it 4 different times and not one time did I ever prioritize healing. You COULD build one without a single healing spell and still be awesome. With stats like that, you could have some fun for sure. Literally pick any race, but just as an example, lets choose Mountain Dwarf.

20 Str
18 Dex
20 Con
17 Int
18 Wis
7 Cha because you're super grumpy lol

Wear Plate, use a Warhammer + Shield or just use a Maul with no Shield. Your AC would be 18 or 20. Great either way.
Take Warcaster at 4, +2 Wis at 8, and then whatever you want at 12.

Being able to maximize thunder/lightning damage is awesome.

You could really have some fun with those stats.

Take Polearm Master at 4, Spell Sniper with Booming Blade at 8, and Warcaster at 12 and really wreck enemies with Booming Blade from 10ft away.

Another idea is to put the 7 in Int instead of Cha and grab Magic Initiate feat for Booming Blade and either Green Flame Blade, Shocking Grasp, or Lighting Lure and something like Find Familiar.
OR go Mostly Tempest but take 5 levels of Storm Sorcerer to get ALL the Lighting and Thunder spells including Lightning Bolt.

My other Suggestion is to play a Paladin. Put the 18s in Strm Dexm Con, and Cha and choose any race you want.
Tempest is definitely one of the ones I was considering.
Heck Variant Human would turn that 7 into an 8 and 17 into a 18. And a bonus feat for War Caster from the off, with Magic Initiate as my 4th lvl feat, with the stats to draw from any of those classes (I was thinking the 8 into Cha as well for socially awkward and grumpy lol)

Booming Blade would be awesome, but never figured if willingly move meant just "It is stuck where it is standing" or "Can't do jacksh*t"

Healbot = Warforged Healer, because its a construct creature and its an NPC so acts like a robot anyway. I am loving the Cleric's versatility in 5e

I am thinking of Acolyte or Hermit background. A religion order finds the character at birth and takes them into seclusion to raise them up as their god's chosen champion. Spending time in the secluded study means he hones his combat and magical talents but his limited social interactions leaves him with much to be desires in way of social skills, and having been called the chosen one his whole life being ignored when he asks for something makes him grumpy and come off as a jerk.

Maybe spend 8th level on a +2 to Cha to even him out to at least not a negative, he will never be the party face, but perhaps a good adviser to the face, and someone who can boot stomp baddies when they need the wrath called down.

They only want to kill me when I actually try to do something

Son of A Lich!
2019-02-17, 06:45 AM
I am obliged to say Monk when you have good rolls, and this blows that out of the water.

Monks are a lot of fun if you have the stats to play them. I've always wanted to play a four elements monk, and this would be a prime opportunity to do just that... Man... 4 18s...

You could do so many interesting things here...

But if you want to play a cleric, go cleric. Do what you want, man, go nuts. You could play a Wizard Barbarian and still somehow pull that off, which... wha... I don't... How?

Golden opportunity, take the gaudiest idea you've ever had and run with it.

Edgerunner
2019-02-17, 06:59 AM
Golden opportunity, take the gaudiest idea you've ever had and run with it.

Exactly.

Take something that just shouldn't work and make it work. Wiz/Monk???

CTurbo
2019-02-17, 07:00 AM
Str: 8
Dex: 18
Con: 18
Int: 18
Wis: 18
Cha: 18
(Variant Human +1s to Wis and Con) Since Monk is a Dex focus anyway, and so is the Wizard. Your Pally half would just not be wearing Heavy Armor

But yeah way to MAD for me, and very hard concept to build around and not sound too goofy.

Paladin requires a 13 Str and Cha to multiclass
Monk requires a 13 Dex and Wis to multiclass
Wizard requires a 13 Int to multiclass.

Con is literally the only possible option to put the 7 in if you were to make this character lol

TheAlmightyKue
2019-02-17, 07:14 AM
Yeah a gaudy funny idea would be fun but I don't know the system so well, I am admit I am a noob to 5e.
Fight 1/Wizard X is doable for sure, and the idea that a Wizard can cast in armor is still making me dizzy with glee.

Monk comes off as a horribly restricted class. Its best features are restricted by how many ki points do you have. But even at say lvl 4, you get 4 points and many of the good ki powers require 2 or more and it takes 30 minutes to regain ki. So basically 1 maybe 2 cool tricks per encounter, and hoping the GM does give you the time to meditate to regain it. Maybe Lvl +Wis mod would have been to much.

CTurbo
2019-02-17, 07:24 AM
I've always wanted to play a Monk/Barb. I'd play him as a Dr Jekyl/Mr Hyde character. He would always try to stay calm, but would always eventually give into his anger.

I've always wanted to play a Barb/Wizard. I'd play him a regular Wizard that just happens to have a really high Str and unarmored defense. He would just lose his temper everytime he ran out of spells and the pull out his greatsword.

The Storm Sorcerer/Tempest Cleric concept would be really great.

and finally, be a Kobold Ancients Paladin 8/UA Revised TWF Beastmaster Ranger 12

Get a Wolf, take Mounted Combat feat, and ride the wolf. Both of you have Pact Tactics so both of you always have advantage on all attacks. Take Dual Wielder feat and use two lances. The Wolf is always in your Auras, cannot be targeted by an attack, and is damn near impossible to kill. The Paladin's extra attack stacks with the Revised Beastmaster's Coordinated attack so you get three attacks per turn and your wolf gets 2. Use all other ASIs to max Str and whichever is the attack stat for wolf(Str or Dex idk). Maybe give the wolf Mobile. Your AC is 20 with Plate, Dual Wielder, and Defense Style.

Son of A Lich!
2019-02-17, 03:36 PM
Yeah a gaudy funny idea would be fun but I don't know the system so well, I am admit I am a noob to 5e.
Fight 1/Wizard X is doable for sure, and the idea that a Wizard can cast in armor is still making me dizzy with glee.

Monk comes off as a horribly restricted class. Its best features are restricted by how many ki points do you have. But even at say lvl 4, you get 4 points and many of the good ki powers require 2 or more and it takes 30 minutes to regain ki. So basically 1 maybe 2 cool tricks per encounter, and hoping the GM does give you the time to meditate to regain it. Maybe Lvl +Wis mod would have been to much.

I would say that Warlocks are more restricted but just as viable.

Short rests are pretty easy to come by, and you should have a short rest in between every other encounter or so.

It's easy to want to use your Ki points and burn through them, but around level 6 or so, they start to pool up and you have to learn to use them well. Stunning strike is always useful and likely the best Debuff in the game.

Unfortunately, Monks don't multiclass very well (Due to Ki Points being keyed to Monk Levels).

It's pretty difficult to make a 'bad' character in D&D 5e, and most of the 'worst' things can be mitigated via attributes.

Algernon the Dim, founder of the college of the new moon, is my Orc Wizard with an intelligence of 6. His first two levels were dedicated to him casting fog cloud and grappling opponents under the cover of fog and punching them to death. (He turned out to be pretty damn good at grappling, incidentally). Algernon is a demonstration that wizards really don't 'need' intelligence, but it's nice to have. You could literally put Algernon to shame with a 20 in Strength and Con and a 5 intelligence and STILL out perform Algie.

TheAlmightyKue
2019-02-18, 09:13 AM
I was wondering, would a Bladesinger Wizard be good for this?
I mean with a High Elf it would be a 20 dex, a 19 Int and a 18 Con.

I am still reading up on the Bladesinger, but it looks interesting and has a lot of combat option.

But I admit the Wizard's Illusion Tradition is kind of awesome for me because playing with the setting just sounds so much fun.

See my paralysis of choice?
I do tend to favor the Bard class (Which is what I am currently am playing) because I like the mix of magic and combat.

CTurbo
2019-02-18, 09:39 AM
Yes this would be a great chance to play a Bladesinger and even a good chance to take a couple levels in another class like Rogue, Fighter, or even Ranger(Hunter or Gloom Stalker). Even a level or 3 of Monk would give you an awesome unarmored AC and some great bonus action options. Not depending on ASIs makes multiclassing a breeze. You could be the first ever Bladesinger/Monk lol

Go Wood Elf Monk 2/ Wizard X. 20 Dex, 18 Con, 18 Int, 18 Wis for 19 AC normally and 23 AC while in bladesong. 45ft regular movement +10ft when in bladesong.

Swashbuckler 5, Bladesinger X would also be a lot of fun. They work together thematically too.

TheAlmightyKue
2019-02-18, 10:27 AM
Ok so my replacement will need to be around 4th or 5th level, 4th would be better I can just level up as needed.

If I did 1 level of monk (12 HP)
And 3 levels of Bladesinger (8 hp per level)
AC would be 10+5+4 (19) bare naked and with no spellsong. w/Spellsong (23) w/ Mage Armor (26) (w/o Spellsong Mage Armor is 22)
I would also have Str, Dex, Int, Wis save profs

With Ki (at a 2nd level dip)I could use the Dodge and Disengage actions as bonus actions to get out of melee if I needed to. Warcaster for 4th level of course.

So definitely a cool build. I am still reading lore on Bladesinger to see if a Monk level (or more) could fit.

Particle_Man
2019-02-18, 11:26 AM
I say put the 7 in con and dare the dice to murder you: “Bring it on!”:smallbiggrin:

TheAlmightyKue
2019-02-18, 12:03 PM
I say put the 7 in con and dare the dice to murder you: “Bring it on!”:smallbiggrin:

Yes but as a caster that would likely be as hard as the first stiff breeze wouldn't it?

Yunru
2019-02-18, 01:00 PM
Be a Valor Bard and revel in being able to do anything (just not as well as those dedicated too it)?

jaappleton
2019-02-18, 01:13 PM
Be a Valor Bard and revel in being able to do anything (just not as well as those dedicated too it)?

YUNRU?!

Haven't seen you since the WOTC forums closed. Always enjoyed your handbook builds and talking optimization with yourself and mellored.

On to the topic at hand...

So, with stats like that, you can be just about anything at all. I suggest something that can heal, but doesn't have to.

I don't know what adventure you're playing, if its a published one. But if its a certain undead-heavy, vampire based campaign, I heavily suggest something that can deal Radiant damage pretty reliably.

Yunru
2019-02-18, 01:30 PM
YUNRU?!

Haven't seen you since the WOTC forums closed. Always enjoyed your handbook builds and talking optimization with yourself and mellored.I migrated over to EnWorld, only recently started expanding my borders.

I want to add more to the topic but... You can do almost anything, so... Do... something?
Pick a concept and enjoy not having to worry about having the stats.

TheAlmightyKue
2019-02-18, 02:13 PM
I migrated over to EnWorld, only recently started expanding my borders.

I want to add more to the topic but... You can do almost anything, so... Do... something?
Pick a concept and enjoy not having to worry about having the stats.

That is sort of my issue, I am new to the system 5e so I don't know all the ins and outs of the system. Just what seems cool.
Honestly the replacement is for a homebrew, though I am starting on that specific campaign with the same group soon under different characters so thanks for the tip.

I mean I love Bard so making one would be cool, especially not needing to worry about much
I like the Sorcerer's ability to cast but their restricted spells known seems like a serious handicap.
I am loving the Wizard's casting method (Arcanist from PF basically) and if I can get into armor profs the Wizard can.

The game has a neutral to kinda evil bent. At least one of the party s evil the other is neutral. They are forming an adventurers guild, but the leader is willing to do whatever it takes to make the guild a reality kind of thing.

Yunru
2019-02-18, 02:56 PM
No no no.
Don't pick a class, pick a character.
Imagine you're writing your own character for the big screen, what would you want them to do, to be?

TheAlmightyKue
2019-02-18, 03:06 PM
No no no.
Don't pick a class, pick a character.
Imagine you're writing your own character for the big screen, what would you want them to do, to be?

Honestly the concept comes to mind of Starlord or Loki from the MCU. Manipulative, charming, capable, and in loki's case able to be deceitful and using illusions for misdirection and combat advantage. But both not afraid to get into the grit and bury a blade in someones gut.

Someone deceitfully capable of handling their business, without someone expecting it of them. They tend to wear light armor, carry smaller weaponry but make the best use of both aspects because someone doesn't expect the manipulative worm-type to actually know how to handle a blade, at least enough to not just be stuck resorting to backstabbing a foe.

jaappleton
2019-02-18, 03:11 PM
Honestly the concept comes to mind of Starlord or Loki from the MCU. Manipulative, charming, capable, and in loki's case able to be deceitful and using illusions for misdirection and combat advantage. But both not afraid to get into the grit and bury a blade in someones gut.

Someone deceitfully capable of handling their business, without someone expecting it of them. They tend to wear light armor, carry smaller weaponry but make the best use of both aspects because someone doesn't expect the manipulative worm-type to actually know how to handle a blade, at least enough to not just be stuck resorting to backstabbing a foe.

College of Whispers Bard.

Alternatively, for some super-lite homebrew that almost any DM should allow with no problem... Trickery Cleric, BUT at lv8, instead of dealing 1d8 Poison, you deal 1d8 Psychic. Because Poison is the worst damage type, far too many things are immune or resistant to it, and it never should've made it into the PHB like that. Absolutely terrible choice.

TheAlmightyKue
2019-02-18, 04:54 PM
College of Whispers Bard.

Alternatively, for some super-lite homebrew that almost any DM should allow with no problem... Trickery Cleric, BUT at lv8, instead of dealing 1d8 Poison, you deal 1d8 Psychic. Because Poison is the worst damage type, far too many things are immune or resistant to it, and it never should've made it into the PHB like that. Absolutely terrible choice.

I agree the Cleric's Trickery Domain is not well handled.

What is everyone's thoughts on a Yuan-ti Pureblood? I am finding the idea of a Find Familiar ritual user, to get snakes to aid them kind of fun. But it makes me think of Loki and his frost giant nature.

Davehotep
2019-02-19, 03:41 AM
For me, I’d re roll those stats or use the standard array/point buy. It’s a personal thing but I find playing a Mary Sue type really dull. Being good at everything means there’s no real challenge for you to overcome. Great characters are defined by their weaknesses as much as their strengths. You also risk outshining everyone else in the party with those amazing attributes, this is a collaborative game after all. If the rest of your group is okay with this then fill your boots but maybe run it by them first?

Whatever you choose to do, have fun with it. I agree with Yunru - create the character you really want to play and the class will become evident.

CTurbo
2019-02-19, 05:08 AM
For me, I’d re roll those stats or use the standard array/point buy. It’s a personal thing but I find playing a Mary Sue type really dull. Being good at everything means there’s no real challenge for you to overcome. Great characters are defined by their weaknesses as much as their strengths. You also risk outshining everyone else in the party with those amazing attributes, this is a collaborative game after all. If the rest of your group is okay with this then fill your boots but maybe run it by them first?

Whatever you choose to do, have fun with it. I agree with Yunru - create the character you really want to play and the class will become evident.

I somewhat agree, but can find fun ways to use that dump stat. Imagine a powerful but really clumsy Paladin with a 7 Dex? I could have a lot of fun with that character. lol

Davehotep
2019-02-19, 05:50 AM
I somewhat agree, but can find fun ways to use that dump stat. Imagine a powerful but really clumsy Paladin with a 7 Dex? I could have a lot of fun with that character. lol

This is true!

Or a buff ass wizard with 7 INT

Yunru
2019-02-19, 05:56 AM
Oooh, an Elf Bladesinger with 7 Int. Be mocked for being the dumbest Wizard, then just be like "I smash the Orc with my [Elven weapon]."

TheAlmightyKue
2019-02-19, 07:32 AM
When I was still thinking of going Cleric and being the prodigal son/daughter, the chosen one of their faith. I was actually thinking of making them have a Charisma of 7-9 (Depending on race) to have them be cripplingly awkward and socially unaware. So they would say and do things that make no sense to normal people. Expect people to treat them like they were treated their whole lives, and just be kinda weird around people. Which is funny because I normally play Bards, so its also a neg against my normal play style.

But I agree to well buffed character is boring which is why I love the 7, so many options to cripple an aspect of a character. Imagine a hobgoblin with 7 strength, sure they could use Dex for weapons but.. you a 6 foot tall goblin with bean sprouts for arms no wonder the legion kicked you out. Or something of that nature.