PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Attack of the figurines! (Homebrew monsters PEACH)

Steel Mirror
2019-02-17, 01:26 AM
So I'm planning on having the PCs come across the office of a cardinal to the goddess of magic. What I came up with is that his room is filled with old paintings, busts, and little figures of important historical figures, as well as globes and orreries and all those fancy rich smart person things. Except the figurines and plaster busts are actually animated objects. When the PCs start searching his desk, which will be covered in quite conspicuous and elaborate (though completely harmless) magical inscriptions, the figurines will jump down off their perches and begin swarming the PCs like angry Lilliputian golems, while the plaster busts scream old-timey insults at them in British accents so loud that it causes magical fear.

So if you have a moment, I'd really appreciate some honest critique and impressions! This is a 1st level group, and I want to be able to throw 2 or 3 of the busts as well as a swarm of 6 or more of the little figurines at them all in a go. There are no guards to worry about, as this is an abandoned building, though if they let the busts yell long enough they could attract a different kind of attention.

I should mention I haven't run a game of D&D in several years, so my monster crafting skills and sense of balance may well be a bit rusty. Thanks in advance for any help you can give!

(As an aside, I copied the template for the statblocks from a post by JNAproductions, so thanks for that as well!)

Animated Figurine

https://i0.wp.com/ae01.alicdn.com/kf/HTB10fGXHkyWBuNjy0Fpq6yssXXa6/Antiguo-Roma-ornamento-escultura-Edad-Media-personaje-estatua-resina-escritorio-justicia-Guerrero-figuras-hogar-Oficina-Decoraci%C3%B3n.jpg_350x350.jpg
Animated figurines are small statues usually made in the image of gods, historical figures, soldiers, and so on, often out of bronze, which have been imbued with the semblance of life by potent magic. They are used for security by well-to-do individuals and tasked with defending offices and other sensitive areas from would-be thieves. It can be difficult to spot the difference between an animated figurine and a purely decorative piece, and indeed more than one thief has tucked one into their loot bag only to be surprised later when their prize came to life.

Don't be fooled by their tiny statures-they can be very dangerous in groups, and their small size makes it difficult for human sized individuals to hit them. They usually try to strike with the benefit of surprise, after which they fight viciously until all intruders are disposed of or they are all destroyed, though they will not pursue a thief outside of the room or building which they have been tasked to guard.

Animated Figurine
Tiny Construct, Unaligned
Armor Class 14 (Natural Armor)
Hit Points 2 (1d4)
Speed 15'

Strength
Dexterity
Constitution
Intelligence
Wisdom
Charisma

5 (-3)
14 (+2)
11 (+0)
1 (-5)
5 (-3)
1 (-5)

Saving Throws Dex +4
Damage Immunities Poison, Psychic
Condition Immunities Blinded, Charmed, Deafened, Exhaustion, Frightened, Paralyzed, Petrified, Poisoned
Senses Blindsight 30' (blind beyond this radius), Passive Perception 7
Languages -
Challenge 1/4
Antimagic Susceptibility The animated figurine is incapacitated while in the area of an antimagic field. If targeted by dispel magic, the figurine must succeed on a Con saving throw against the caster's spell save DC or fall unconscious for 1 minute.

False Appearance While the figurine remains motionless, it is indistinguishable from a normal bronze figurine.

The Bigger They Are... The animated figurine gains advantage on attack rolls made against medium and larger opponents.

...The Harder They Fall When the animated figurine scores a critical hit, the target must succeed on a Con save DC 12 or be knocked prone. The animated statue may use a bonus action to make a Tiny Little Spear attack against a prone enemy.

Actions
Tiny Little Spear Melee Weapon Attack: +2 to-hit, reach 5', one target. Hit: 1 piercing damage.

Living Bust

https://soup.onerpm.com/web/user/images/1/67/67U0W8ssHaBbpFaZEzwV.400.jpg
Much like animated figurines, living busts hide in plain sight in offices, temples, and other important areas, acting as security to protect those places from intrusion. When they detect an intruder, their loud shouts disorient and scare off most thieves while simultaneously raising the alarm and drawing any guards in the area. Though they aren't capable of directly harming intruders themselves, they can be an almighty hindrance to any group of thieves that comes across them unprepared.

Living Bust
Tiny Construct, Unaligned
Armor Class 10 (Natural Armor)
Hit Points 3 (1d4+1)
Speed 0' (stationary)

Strength
Dexterity
Constitution
Intelligence
Wisdom
Charisma

1 (-5)
1 (-5)
12 (+1)
1 (-5)
12 (+1)
8 (-1)

Damage Immunities Poison, Psychic
Condition Immunities Blinded, Charmed, Deafened, Exhaustion, Frightened, Paralyzed, Petrified, Poisoned
Senses Blindsight 60' (blind beyond this radius), Passive Perception 14
Languages any one (decided by creator)
Challenge 1/8
Antimagic Susceptibility The animated figurine is incapacitated while in the area of an antimagic field. If targeted by dispel magic, the figurine must succeed on a Con saving throw against the caster's spell save DC or fall unconscious for 1 minute.

False Appearance While the bust remains motionless and silent, it is indistinguishable from a normal plaster bust.

ROWDY GROUP If multiple busts are present in the same encounter, other creatures do not need to save against each of their Booming Voice attacks separately. Instead, they roll once but the save DC for Booming Voice is increased by 1 for each living bust present in the room. The maximum DC for this effect is 14; if more than 5 busts are placed in a room at once, they begin arguing with each other once triggered rather than cooperating, and no further benefit is attained.

Actions
[I]Booming Voice Each creature that can hear the living bust within 60 feet must make a Will save DC 9. If it fails, it becomes magically frightened until the beginning of the living bust's next turn.

Jonagel
2019-02-19, 12:09 PM
1) I think they are very novel, and their tactics/attack options make for a (hopefully) more interesting encounter at level 1. Not the usual, exchange 1d6 damage every round with goblins and hope the goblins don't crit and insta kill the wizard.

2) Given how ...weak, they monsters are, it's hard to say if they'll be good against a level 1 party. If there's anyway to play test it ahead of time, that would be great. That said, I think the only worry is that the monsters are too easy for a party of 4 PCs. If part of a larger dungeon though, should be fine. Might even be a great way to screw with them moving forward. "Destroy every figurine, statue, and bust we see" and/or "Oh god, this museum we are ransacking had a exhibition on Busts -- the sign even says Over 100 famous statues inside. Let's gain a few levels and come back later"

3) Maybe change the Figurines to do piercing damage? Nitpicking, but likely the only way their tiny swords/spears would hurt a larger creature?

4) If the Busts might attract undue attention, just make sure to drop a couple hints about other creature sounds, the creepy silence, or just how ridiculously loud the busts are (echoing screams through the open doors into the marble halls behind you). OR say nothing and hope your players learn a lesson about common sense and noises =)

5) Overall, neat creatures with a fun mechanic. The numbers of monsters you suggest sound great for a party of 3 PCs. Maybe a cap on the Booming Voice? If you stacked 30 of them in a gatehouse you'd guarantee everyone fails their save no matter how powerful they are. Or maybe too many and they start yelling at each other all the time, so no one ever bothers to have more than 5 in a room?

Vogie
2019-02-19, 01:11 PM
I love the Animated Figurines, but I definitely think you should make larger ones for higher CRs.

Even a "Swarm of Animated Figurines" would work.

Steel Mirror
2019-02-19, 09:46 PM
Thanks for taking the time to read and comment you guys, I really appreciate it! It's been so long since I GMed 5E that any advice is a godsend.

2) Given how ...weak, they monsters are, it's hard to say if they'll be good against a level 1 party. If there's anyway to play test it ahead of time, that would be great. That said, I think the only worry is that the monsters are too easy for a party of 4 PCs. If part of a larger dungeon though, should be fine. Might even be a great way to screw with them moving forward. "Destroy every figurine, statue, and bust we see" and/or "Oh god, this museum we are ransacking had a exhibition on Busts -- the sign even says Over 100 famous statues inside. Let's gain a few levels and come back later"Yeah, I'm definitely not planning on this one being a climactic fight or even a necessarily dangerous one, on its own. There will be a few more encounters in the session, and overall I'm aiming for a fairly quick and nonlethal introductory type adventure. Being able to smash the screaming busts and stomp around destroying the tiny annoying figures should hopefully be a cathartic experience.

My main worry actually is that it turns into a boring grindfest. The figures have a high enough AC that they will be rather tough to hit, especially if any of the party is frightened. I'm still a bit worried that eventually the party will have killed most of the little figurines so it's only a matter of time before they win, but the fight still takes half a dozen completely boring rounds to finish the last couple. I could just call the fight as over if/when it starts being boring, narrating that the PCs manage to stomp and crush the remaining figurines without trouble.

I really love the idea of later having a room full of figurines and busts! I'm absolutely going to do that and see the PCs groan in annoyance. :smallbiggrin: I think that room will not actually have any animated figurines or busts in it though, but instead have an unexpected boss fight of a completely different nature. For some reason, I'm thinking giant frog falling from the ceiling. I'll keep you updated. :smalltongue:

3) Maybe change the Figurines to do piercing damage? Nitpicking, but likely the only way their tiny swords/spears would hurt a larger creature?A very good nitpick, I will change that straightaway.

4) If the Busts might attract undue attention, just make sure to drop a couple hints about other creature sounds, the creepy silence, or just how ridiculously loud the busts are (echoing screams through the open doors into the marble halls behind you). OR say nothing and hope your players learn a lesson about common sense and noises =)I'll give them some huge and obvious hints, in the expectation that they'll likely ignore them and bumble along anyway. :smallsmile: But I could always be surprised.

Maybe a cap on the Booming Voice? If you stacked 30 of them in a gatehouse you'd guarantee everyone fails their save no matter how powerful they are. Or maybe too many and they start yelling at each other all the time, so no one ever bothers to have more than 5 in a room?Hahaha I was considering putting a cap on them for exactly that reason, but figured I was the only one likely to ever use them and so it was unlikely to come up. I'll just throw in a line about 5 being the cap because otherwise they start arguing with each other when triggered and you don't get any further improvement on the fear effect.

I love the Animated Figurines, but I definitely think you should make larger ones for higher CRs.

Even a "Swarm of Animated Figurines" would work.A swarm would be fantastic, when I have some time to brush up on the rules for a swarm I will absolutely throw one of those up!

Jonagel
2019-02-20, 10:51 AM
I could see the AC 15 being a little high, especially with the frightened. Maybe the 1 HP pool will have the PCs think creatively? Like... topple a bookcase on them?

If you think it's moving too slow, maybe reducing their AC as time goes on? Chalk it up to them being imperfect little figurines not made for prolonged battle? Bronze is hard, not too flexible, so maybe every couple round something snaps off?

Either way, fun and different, so sounds good!

Yddisac
2019-02-20, 04:41 PM
The maximum DC for this effect is 14; if more than 5 busts are placed in a room at once, they begin arguing with each other once triggered rather than cooperating, and no further benefit is attained.

I just want to say how much I love this little piece of flavour right here. It's so good. (I also imagine the fight will go fine; these should be doing the job you want them to do.)

Steel Mirror
2019-02-22, 01:27 AM
After some mock battles with fake PCs, I reduced the AC to 14, considering going all the way to 13. They more or less work how I want them, and intelligent play takes them out fast. Thanks for the input, the session won't be happening for a while but I'll try to update you all once I run it on how it went!

Bjarkmundur
2019-02-22, 07:47 PM
Bwahahaha! I love this x'D