PDA

View Full Version : Abnegation buffer build?

Particle_Man
2019-02-17, 08:49 AM
Other threads gave me this idea, but it is not my usual style. This would be a “buff the fighters, stay in the back, do not overshadow the other characters” kind of build. I was thinking basically of a Druid 3/wizard 3/mystic theurge 2/arcane hierophant 10/mystic theurge 2 build, but keeping only an owl as animal companion (this build isn’t about becoming a combat monster or making the companion familiar a combat monster). I was thinking of the magic of the land feat.

Are their guides for abnegation buffers? What spells are recommended for this style of build?

MeimuHakurei
2019-02-17, 02:25 PM
Treantmonk's 3.5 Wizard guide is basically designed around playing this style of caster.

Eldariel
2019-02-17, 03:19 PM
Can confirm, I'm mostly playing God in PFS and rarely do I get much recognition but somehow we almost always walk through the scenarios. Use BFC, buffing and debuffing as needed and let your party sort 'em out.

Particle_Man
2019-02-17, 05:00 PM
Treantmonk's 3.5 Wizard guide is basically designed around playing this style of caster.

Cool! Is there a Druid one too?

radthemad4
2019-02-17, 08:53 PM
Cool! Is there a Druid one too?

There's eggynack's comprehensive Druid Handbook (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?439991-Being-Everything-Eggynack-s-Comprehensive-Druid-Handbook)

Theurges aren't worth it without early entry shenanigans. You lose too much compared to what you gain. If your DM lets you use precocious apprentice to qualify early, you could maybe do something like Druid 3/Wizard 1/Mystic Theurge 4/Arcane Hierophant.

If Dragon Magazine is on the table and your DM is very permissive, maybe try Bard 1/Druid 4/Green Whisperer 5/Sublime Chord 1/Fochlucan Lyrist 9, spending a feat on Chaos Music (basically Practiced Spellcaster for Bardic Music) and qualifying for Fochlucan Lyrist with a Ring of Evasion (an item independent way to get Evasion is Shape Soulmeld: Impulse Boots + Open Least Chakra, but two feats is a pretty steep price). This gives you full Bardic Music progression, almost full Druid spell progression and Sublime Chord spell progression (sort of like Sorcerer spell progression -1, but for 4th level and higher spells only), though, no Wild Shape or Animal Companion progression beyond the four Druid levels. If you decide on this route, JoshuaD's Bard Handbook might come in handy (https://www.joshuad.net/new-bard-handbook/). The Able Learner feat could help with the skill point requirements.

If early entry shenanigans and/or dragon magazine aren't on the table, consider going for Wizard/War Weaver (or some other PRC if you can't stomach losing a level of casting progression) and casting buff spells on your teammates (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?554066-Best-sor-wiz-buff-spells-castable-on-others) or Pure Druid (They seem a bit short on buffs they can use on other party members, but Mass Snake's Swiftness is very team friendly and they get plenty of general utility options).

Particle_Man
2019-02-17, 10:49 PM
I don’t mind being weaker than a full on single-classed caster or than an early entry dude; I am already two tier one casters in one, even if three levels behind in both! And I would see this character as buffing melee types (non-optimized fighters and monks and the like) so I think I would need to hold back as it is!

radthemad4
2019-02-18, 01:42 AM
I think clerics have more PC friendly buffs than druids do. If you're absolutely sure you want to theurge, have you considered archivist? That one is only a good idea if you're sure you'll have enough money to add a decent amount of spells to both your prayer book and your wizard spell book, but you'd get to use both Cleric and Druid spells and the flavor fits in well with Wizard.