PDA

View Full Version : Quick Druid questions

ThriceHonored
2019-02-17, 06:10 PM
I have two questions regarding druids:

1- how do you handle armor class in wild shape?

2- so if you have say10 hp then wild shape into something with 50 hp you lose 25 hp to an enemy and come out of wild shape, do you then have 10 hp?

Aett_Thorn
2019-02-17, 06:13 PM
I have two questions regarding druids:

1- how do you handle armor class in wild shape?

2- so if you have say10 hp then wild shape into something with 50 hp you lose 25 hp to an enemy and come out of wild shape, do you then have 10 hp?

1) Armor class takes on the AC of the beast you turn into, unless you have some sort of feature or magical item that will allow you to increase this (Monk unarmored AC I believe works, for instance).

2)Yes, you’d have 10 HP in this instance.

OverLordOcelot
2019-02-17, 06:19 PM
You use the beast's AC, so generally you have a fairly low AC. You can use Barkskin to take your AC up to 16, though I rarely found that worthwhile at low levels and never at high levels. You can also multiclass with barbarian or monk to get unarmored defense, which will help your beast forms - I don't recommend this though, as it makes your spell casting and wild shaping weaker. You can also use an item like bracers of defense or cloak of protection to gain AC in beast form - it's DM's discretion, but they're generally fine with it since by RAW magic items resize to fit the wearer and things like bracers and cloaks don't need to reshape.

Yes, you would have 10HP. If you wildshape and then voluntarily end the wild shape, you never lose hit point. The only way you lose hit points is when the beast form runs out of HP. For example, if you have 10HP and turn into a dire wolf with 37 HP, then take 45 points of damage, the beast form would soak 37 health and 'die', then the remaining 8 would come off of your regular hit points.