PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Flying players, and encounter relevance

AmeVulpes
2019-02-17, 08:47 PM
As the title implies, I am dealing with flying players on a regular basis.

They range from Half-Celestials and Pegasus cavaliers, to Nightmare riders and Tauric Wasps.

The Winged template from Savage Species is a LA +2 template.

Flight is very powerful in general. It near-absolutely negates fall damage, gives total discretion in engaging random encounters, and in open battle, trivializes enemies without long-range options.

I had a recent campaign running where two players were Half-Celestial Rangers, generals of a kingdom, and they went to war against Orcs. The typical Orc is equipped with a falchion and a javelin.

Instead of using their extensive minionmancy to engage warfare, they used Rapid Shot and such from high altitude to eliminate the bulk of the Orc formations.

Of course, Tower Shielded formations forced them to do other things, and the occasional Orc caster or archery platoon would give them a bit of a push-back.

Without tailoring encounters to flying players, and without changing the typical equipment that enemies carry (often a javelin as the only ranged option), what is the average monster's answer to a fast(er) flying enemy who has caught them in the open with superior range? I read in a dragon magazine that alchemical smoke-producing items are helpful to players, but only because it gives a bit of time to prep or plan, it doesn't really help with a getaway in, say, a field.

I don't want to ban flight, but should templates/races with wings be more expensive? The Fly spell can achieve the same thing for a short time without specialized building, and a level 6 Warlock can fly all day long, albiet without the rest of his party.

Darth Ultron
2019-02-17, 09:29 PM
Without tailoring encounters to flying players, and without changing the typical equipment that enemies carry (often a javelin as the only ranged option), what is the average monster's answer to a fast(er) flying enemy who has caught them in the open with superior range?

Why exactly do you not want to do this? You don't want to ban flight, and guess you'd want to do nothing 'to' the player characters. So...you want to do something, as long as it's not doing something?

Fight is not that 'great', so you don't need to make it +6 LA or anything.

If you can bring yourself to tailor encounters:

*You might note there are tons of flying foes....you could use them.

*Really foes should have some ranged attacks. It's kind of basic. Orcs use bows, for example.

*Flying magic is cheap enough after 5th level or so....so many foes will have it. Potions of flying, for example. Plus things like wands for ranged attacks.

AmeVulpes
2019-02-17, 09:32 PM
Why exactly do you not want to do this? You don't want to ban flight, and guess you'd want to do nothing 'to' the player characters. So...you want to do something, as long as it's not doing something?

Fight is not that 'great', so you don't need to make it +6 LA or anything.

If you can bring yourself to tailor encounters:

*You might note there are tons of flying foes....you could use them.

*Really foes should have some ranged attacks. It's kind of basic. Orcs use bows, for example.

*Flying magic is cheap enough after 5th level or so....so many foes will have it. Potions of flying, for example. Plus things like wands for ranged attacks.

Just so you know, just before you posted, I asked that this thread be removed because I felt I'd be misunderstood and didn't feel like dealing with it. Until (assuming) it does get removed or locked...

I don't like tailoring encounters in general. I have considered, more generally, giving more enemies better ranged weapons. When does it become anti-player tailored homebrewing, though?

Darth Ultron
2019-02-17, 09:41 PM
I don't like tailoring encounters in general. I have considered, more generally, giving more enemies better ranged weapons. When does it become anti-player tailored homebrewing, though?

Well, if your fine with 50% to 75% of ll encounters being 'easy' for the players....then don't do anything.

''Too far" would be ''everyone in the world has weapons of Winged Bane Slaying".

In general to not pick ''orc" and pick...oh, any of the hundred or so flying foes is not really ''tailoring''.