PDA

View Full Version : Scaling non-dmg cantrips w/ tier

Dalebert
2019-02-17, 09:22 PM
Light: You can have one light ongoing per tier.

Dancing lights:
Tier 2: two extra lights
Tier 3: duration 10 minutes
Tier 4: non-concentration

Minor illusion:
Tier 2: duration 10 minutes
Tier 3: area 10x10
Tier 4: can make a second illusion simultaneously

Prestidigitation:
Tier 2: Range 30 ft
Tier 3: 5 simultaneous effects
Tier 4: range 60 ft

Thoughts?

Asmotherion
2019-02-17, 10:21 PM
By stage 3 they basically become the equivalent of a 1st level spell (namelly minor illusion and silent image).

i also believe scaling should only affect a single variable. The most stable variable that could be affected without breaking anything imo is the duration. And i'm probably cool for removing concentration at stage 4.

An other one that could actually become interesting by scaling it would be Blade Ward.

Chronos
2019-02-18, 08:42 AM
And damaging cantrips also become comparable to 1st-level spells at high level. I don't see that that's a problem (or if it is, it's already a problem).

solidork
2019-02-18, 10:51 AM
When I thought about this, my idea was a little more radical. I abandoned it, but you might find it interesting. I'm particularly proud of the "Sherlock" option, but it doesn't really fit the D&D milieu.

Core idea is a utility cantrip where you get to select additional options as you level up, eventually getting all(or most) of the options. Some much maligned cantrips (Bladeward, True Strike) might be more interesting if you glued them together. This is a train wreck but was fun to design. Pretty sure having different durations/components is an abomination, and this is probably strong enough to be a first level spell. Every time there was a choice between being as tropey as possible and being clear/easy to understand/easy to adjudicate, I went for maximum trope.

Scholar’s Knack
When you learn Scholar’s Knack, choose one of the effects listed below. When you reach 5th, 11th and 17th level you may select an additional effect. Each time you cast Scholar’s Knack, you pick an effect from among the ones you selected. If you learn Scholar’s Knack at a higher level than 1st, select effects until you have as many as you would have had you learned it at 1st level.

Scholar's Knack - Translate
Components: V, S
Duration: 10 minutes
Choose two languages, at least one of which you know. You obtain (by pulling it from a nearby container or bookshelf or by having it appear in a flash of magic in your hands) a non-descript looking book that is a dictionary that translates one of the chosen languages into the other. This dictionary disappears if it is ever more than 5 feet from you, after you translate five words or after 10 minutes. Anyone else attempting to read the dictionary sees gibberish. If you use this option twice or more times before you finish a long rest, there is a cumulative 25% chance that the translations provided are actually rude or vulgar words.

Scholar's Knack - Search
Components: V, S
Duration: Concentration, 1 hour
Choose a topic or piece of information. After concentrating on this spell for a length of time, you determine if information on that topic is recorded in written form nearby. After 1 minute you learn if it is within 10ft of you. After 10 minutes you learn if it is within 100ft of you. After an hour you learn if it is within 1000 feet of you. This spell only detects the presence and does not indicate where it is within the listed range. Even a thin sheet of lead is sufficient to block this spell.

Scholar's Knack - Sherlock
Components: V
Duration: 1 minute
Choose an Intelligence ability check you made within the last hour that was to remember, acquire or understand information. You may spend the next minute explaining to a friendly creature of intelligence 4 or greater any information gained from your check, any conclusions you have come to because of the information from the check or how a tangentially related anecdote or bit of lore you’ve encountered could provide insight into the subject of the ability check. If you do, you may repeat the check to reveal more information and add 1d4 to your total. It does not matter if the anecdote or lore that you describe is factually true, only that your character believes that it is. Once you benefit from casting this spell, you cannot do so again until you finish a short or a long rest.

Scholar's Knack - Copy
Components: V,S,M (A blank piece of paper and a piece of paper with writing on it)
Duration: Instantaneous
You touch both pieces of paper instantly transcribe what is written on the inscribed piece of paper onto the blank piece of paper. The new text is easily legible and easily distinguishable from the original text and is in your own personal handwriting.

CheddarChampion
2019-02-18, 11:43 AM
I don't think there's a need for it:
At 1st level a 1d10 firebolt might do a good bit of damage to a CR appropriate enemy.
At 1st level minor illusion can trick an npc.
At 11th level a 1d10 firebolt is laughable to a CR appropriate enemy, but 3d10 might do something.
At 11th level minor illusion can still trick an npc.

Danielqueue1
2019-02-18, 01:40 PM
I think adding duration/number of attacks to true strike as you level up may be useful, but things like minor illusion are good where they are imho.