PDA

View Full Version : Lesser shambling mound - a request

Cogwheel
2007-09-27, 05:38 AM
Okay, to put it bluntly, I want a shambling mound as a cohort for a crusader of mine. Laugh all you like, I know it's silly, but there's a reason for the mound and the celestial template it comes with, though perhaps Nimbus Of Light is pushing it.

Anyway... for a level 10 character, I need an ECL 8 (preferably 6 so I can add celestial) shambling mound. As the current version is ECL 14, it needs massive nerfage. Since my skills at this sort of thing are horrible at best, I was wondering if anyone on these boards would be kind enough to stat up a watered down, lower ECL shambling mound for me.

Pretty please?

Skjaldbakka
2007-09-27, 05:42 AM
I'll take a crack at it tonight, if no-one else has gotten to it yet. For now, the sleepings needs to happen.

Cogwheel
2007-09-27, 05:52 AM
Thanks! Less hit dice is fine, ofcourse, but the abilities still need to be nerfed so the level adjustment is toned down.

Cogwheel
2007-09-27, 11:06 PM
Anyone out there willing to give this a try?

Skjaldbakka
2007-09-28, 02:31 AM
Sorry, I wound up in the stacks all night rather than at the desk. Don't know if I will get this finished tonight or not. I'll work on it at lunch tomorrow and post it tomorrow night for sure.

I really wish I had a computer at home.

Two questions-
Is it getting Celestial template for free, or does this need to be included in its ECL?
Does it need to stay Large size?

EDIt- third question

Does it need to be able to grow into full-on Shambling Mound by the time you are 16th level, or will it be advancing by Class levels?

Cogwheel
2007-09-28, 02:43 AM
Medium is fine, but small would be a bit...silly ("Look, I got a 3 foot tall heap of compost!" Yeah, far from impressive).

You needn't concern yourself about the celestial template - just keep it down to ECL 8 or 6. Essentially, make it without the celestial template at either of those ECLs, and the celestial bit will be added later on by me, or I might not. In any case, just type the monster up like I never mentioned the template.

For reference, the current version has 8 hit dice and 6 LA. Not LA (cohort), mind you, so WotC seems to think it's a viable character concept >.>

And thanks Skjald, you're being a huge help with this entire character.:smallsmile:

Skjaldbakka
2007-09-28, 02:52 AM
Need to know whether or not you want it to eventually advance into full Shambling Mound or reduced shambling mound with class levels.

Unfortunalty, my shift is over, so I am heading home. I'll post later tonight.

Cogwheel
2007-09-28, 03:57 AM
Nah, just a nerfed shambling mound, so it's ECL 8 or 6 instead of 14. You know, reduce hit dice/reduce abilities to take LA down.

Skjaldbakka
2007-09-28, 09:15 AM
Shambling Heap
Medium Plant
HD 4d8+12 (31hp)
Speed 20 ft. (4 squares); Swim 20 ft
Init: +1
AC 20; touch 11; flat-footed 19
(+1 dex, +9 natural armor)
BAB +3; Grp +4
Attack Slam +6
(1d8+3, 20/x2)
Full-Attack 2 slams +6/+6(1d8+3, 20/x2)
Space 5 ft.; Reach 5 ft.
Special Attacks
Improved Grab, Constrict 1d8+4
Special Qualities
Darkvision 60ft., low light vision, immunity to electricity, plant traits, resistance to fire 10
Saves Fort +7 Ref +3 Will +4
Abilities Str 16, Dex 15, Con 16, Int 7, Wis 12, Cha 7
Skills
Hide +9, Listen +8, Move Silently +8
Feats
Iron Will, Power Attack
Level Adjustment +3 (cohort)

What I changed:

Reduced HD to 4
Applied elite array (15 str, 14 con, 13 dex, 12 wis, 10 int, 8 cha base)
Removed 8HD stat boost (which I took from strength)
Reduced Size to medium (and all that entails)
Removed Weapon Focus (slam) gained at 6th HD
Adjusted skills, HP, and other derived stats based on above changes

I would say that about half of its LA was from all the stat boosts increasing to large size gives things that advance by HD.

The whole thing winds up at ECL 7

Cogwheel
2007-09-28, 10:29 AM
Thanks Skjald, that'll work nicely. I guess I'll do without the celestial template, and just give it the Nimbus of Light feat:smallbiggrin:.

Also, since it's ECL 7, I may give it another hit die after all >.>

In any case, thanks a bunch. Feel free to PM me if you want the reason for this madness:smallbiggrin:.