PDA

View Full Version : "Basic" figurines.

Danielqueue1
2019-02-18, 01:49 PM
Was dabbling in 3d printing and thinking about printing off some creatures for a friend. Any recommendations for a few monsters to start off with and see how it goes? Batch size will be small and I already have the PCs. I am not running the game so I don't know what they will be using soon.

DrowPiratRobrts
2019-02-18, 01:55 PM
Are you asking where to find models? If so, check out Thingiverse. They've got plenty that are free to download and print.

Danielqueue1
2019-02-18, 05:24 PM
More along the lines of I'm going to try a small batch as a gift and want a bit of variety while still being pretty common.

6 goblins and a hobgoblin would make a normal encounter, but then there wouldn't be any models for any other encounters.

I am looking for ideas for... call it a sampler. So they can use the 3d printed ones for the mini bosses and maybe single monster encounters, and then still go with the little cardboard tokens they usually use for common monsters.

Crucius
2019-02-18, 05:28 PM
I would suggest the most famous monsters from the game; goblins, skeletons, a mimic chest, beholders or a small dragon would be instantly recognizable for example.

Chronos
2019-02-18, 09:22 PM
If you're a player, and use summoning spells, make a mini of whatever you like to summon.

If you're a DM, make a mini of whatever the next thing is you plan to throw at the players.

Vogie
2019-02-19, 09:03 AM
I am looking for ideas for... call it a sampler. So they can use the 3d printed ones for the mini bosses and maybe single monster encounters, and then still go with the little cardboard tokens they usually use for common monsters.

It really depends on the campaign. An elf (or other humanoid) with a bow, some zombies, some guard-like humanoid wearing armor with a sword & shield, a wolf, a bear, a treant and goblinoids (including hobgoblins & bugbears) are fine in most campaigns... but may be nearly useless in something like a Waterdeep, Spelljammer or Eberron campaign

hymer
2019-02-19, 09:20 AM
Start out with something like a handful of small humanoids, a handful of medium humanoids and maybe two large ones. If the medium ones are orcs, those can serve perfectly well as hobgoblins, bugbears, or human bandits, e.g.. The small ones can be goblins and kobolds, whatever they are meant to be originally. And the large ones can be ogres, trolls, or small giants (though technically giants are Huge in 5e, you can just place them so they cover 3x3).

Humanoid shaped monsters make up the bulk of most combat encounters in my experience. Then you can add in some four-legged ones, then get some of the humanoids you didn't make in the first place of the size you think you'll need the most, etc.

Jophiel
2019-02-19, 09:40 AM
I agree with humanoids and undead. With bounded accuracy, goblins and orcs are still useful later in game and you probably want more than two of them. Plus they are more generically useful; if you need six skeletons and two of the minis are hobgoblins, it doesn't look all that "off".

More specific monsters are less likely to be used often and aren't as interchangeable ("This carrion crawler is a bear, I guess"). He'll eventually want some just because of that second point but, because of the first point, I wouldn't make them a priority.

Imbalance
2019-02-19, 10:47 AM
If you're just dabbling, start with basics, simple humanoids in non-action poses, animals, monsters that don't need a lot of detail to identify. If those results are pleasing, step up to the exotics. For the fact that everybody makes generic zombies and fighters and dwarves and goblins, etc. and it's really easy to find them by the dozen for cheap, once you get comfortable with your process start making aboleths and gem dragons. Even if your friend has a zillion minis, I bet he doesn't have an Elder Brain or a Tarrasque that isn't a repurposed dinosaur toy.

Trickery
2019-02-19, 10:58 AM
I would suggest the most famous monsters from the game; goblins, skeletons, a mimic chest, beholders or a small dragon would be instantly recognizable for example.

I agree with this. Get a nice variety of creature types and sizes. You'll seldom have exactly the mini you need, but you might have one that's the right size or of a similar taste if you diversify.

At actual games, random trinkets are often standins for large creatures like dragons or hydras. Having a mini of the correct approximate size and feel is better.

Starting off with just a bunch of regular humans and beasts is needlessly restrictive. Nobody (hyperbole) wants to run a campaign where all you ever do is fight bandits and wolves. An eclectic mic encourages you to be creative with encounters.

Theodoxus
2019-02-19, 11:04 AM
I'd recommend something generic.
Goblins, kobolds, gnomes and halflings are easily all represented by the same small humanoid figure.
Orcs, humans, elves and zombies are likewise easily represented by the same medium humanoid.
Ogres, trolls and umberhulks all work with the same large humanoid.

One of my favorite DMs uses a "spiders and owlbears!" "random" encounter that she throws out when the players at the table aren't paying attention to the story. Both critters are pretty iconic and work in lots of situations.

Then, probably a wolf/bear for the local druid to use :smallbiggrin: