PDA

View Full Version : Speculation Multiple Unarmed Attack Abilities

Dwoops
2019-02-18, 05:37 PM
So I've always been curious about what to do when there are multiple modifiers/abilities to unarmed attacks. Examples of these are, Tabaxi claws, Tortle Claws, Monk Unarmed, Tavern Brawler, etc
From straight RAW, I would say that its just these just don't stack, you are out of luck. Still, in combos like a Tabaxi monk, for example, it seems like you completely waste this racial trait. Realistically the claws on a Tabaxi should still help in unarmed combat even if you are trained in unarmed combat(being a monk). Balance wise, I feel like there is no workaround for this, but I still feel like its a complete waste when these abilities stack up and something should be given.
What are your policies on this/What do you think about it?
I currently think that they shouldn't stack, but you should get something back (maybe like +1 to dmg) but I don't know about balance.

Mellack
2019-02-18, 05:47 PM
They don't stack. Each has a power that replaces the normal unarmed attack damage, not add to it. It is the same thing if you get unarmored defense from multiple things, or extra attack from multiple classes. It is standard across the game. No reason to think they need to get anything back, or else you will have to start rewriting several parts of the game.

Dwoops
2019-02-18, 05:49 PM
Okay, thanks. I thought that made the most sense.

Ventruenox
2019-02-18, 05:55 PM
Providing differing damage types with the natural weapons is sufficient. The Tabaxi claws provide a climbing speed, Tavern Brawler allows for proficiency with improvised weapons. Monk's Unarmed scales with level. They all have their own added effects. Seems pretty balanced to me.

Now if your player's somehow come up with a creative use for natural weapons, allowing it under the Rule of Cool should be sufficient.

MeeposFire
2019-02-18, 10:56 PM
The ability to switch damage types can be helpful since every once in a while slashing can be more useful than bludgeoning and vice versa. Having the ability to choose is nice.

RogueJK
2019-02-18, 11:32 PM
In addition to the flexible damage types, some monks can use their natural weapons for a small damage boost for the first several levels. For example, a standard Monk is doing d4 damage with their unarmed strikes until it bumps up to d6 at Level 5, while a Lizardfolk or Minotaur monk is already able to do d6 damage from the start.