PDA

View Full Version : Index Another Project

TharpinUp
2019-02-19, 01:23 AM
I have noticed that every time I come to a Basic D&D, Advanced D&D, D&D 3-3.5e, or D&D 5e forum, that the threads never have what I'm looking for.
It's nothing really personal either. I just fall in the middle of most DMs/Players. Some like the rules to be so loose, that they can make things up on the fly. Others want everything to be exact to the .5 of the edition, and sets rules like core rulebooks only.
My style is a mix of those. As a player, and a Dungeon Master, I find it far more interesting to play with players who put endless hours into their level 3 characters, just to make sure every little thing they could possibly make better hasn't been looked over, than it ever is to play with copy/paste (by the core) or blank sheet (imagination) players.
I guess my point is, that I'm here to help. I've been compiling hundreds of legal supplements, and breaking them down into indexes.
Through me you should be able to find that feat, special wizard staff(recent issue for me), or that ONE table hidden in the most obscure parts of a book or file.
My first non-home-brew upload will be a completed index of feats. Probably thousands.
It wont be all of the feats out there, but some are copypasta, some are outdated, and unbalanced. I'm weeding through the trash to find the gems, per se.
Changes between some 3e and 3.5e rules, skills, abilities, and features are either contradictory or formatted differently. (I.e; Multidexterity and Ambidexterity from 3e are null as feats in 3.5e. Depending on the source it either completely removes dual-wielding penalties, or decreases each hand by a set amount. In 3.5, Ambidexterity is a Trait (UA), and has been severely nerfed.[No 3.5 Multidexterity yet from what I can find; Though you may be able to adapt it as a trait based on Ambidexterity])
Email me if you've been looking for something and just can't find it, or have a class you need broken. :)

-Unearthed Arcana can confuse you, so if you end up there from this reference, remember that the generic classes aren't mean to be played in concert with the rest of the books. If you ready closely, most things are meant to be used with it. That's by their words, and by the Player's Handbook/Dungeon Master's Guide.

Most overlooked rule though: DM discretion.

Crake
2019-02-19, 01:31 AM
Just as an aside, your complete index of feats has already been done, alongside classes and spells on the-website-that-shall-not-be-named.

Ambidexterity/multidexterity were removed and replaced with two weapon fighting instead. Characters no longer have a dominant hand, they just have a primary hand, which is designated at the start of each round of attacking to determine which weapon recieves the reduced damage from strength and the (potentially) increased penalty for two weapon fighting.

Also, I didn't see ambidexterity in unearthed arcana amongst the traits, so I'm not sure where you got that from.

And your stance on DMing and playing is probably honestly where most people fall on this forum. It's only for DM-agnostic, Rules-As-Written (RAW) discussions are the rules taken as absolute gospel. It's an unwritten, well accepted rule around here that everything is ultimately up to DM discretion, so we don't need to say it, we all already know it, but some people just love concocting interesting thought experiments with the rules.

AmeVulpes
2019-02-19, 01:36 AM
Just as an aside, your complete index of feats has already been done, alongside classes and spells on the-website-that-shall-not-be-named.

And your stance on DMing and playing is probably honestly where most people fall on this forum. It's only for DM-agnostic, Rules-As-Written (RAW) discussions are the rules taken as absolute gospel. It's an unwritten, well accepted rule around here that everything is ultimately up to DM discretion, so we don't need to say it, we all already know it, but some people just love concocting interesting thought experiments with the rules.

It would be great to have a perfectly legal index, wouldn't it?

Agreed, I was going to say the same thing.

TharpinUp
2019-02-19, 02:52 AM
Just as an aside, your complete index of feats has already been done, alongside classes and spells on the website-that-shall-not-be-named.

There are some, and I do enjoy quite a lot of them, but most of them are extremely biased. Everyone has some bias, but they tend to refrain from telling you simple things, like the Sourcebook.

The feats lists are nice, but the ones I've found are either all of the core rulebooks/supplements, from a specific publisher's set, or they are a mix-matched hodge podge of a personal list for a specific character. I mean more of an index of Non-BS, unrepeated, and uncommon or unique feats.

Example: The lists typically have everything you would need in a base game with newer players, or even intermediate ones. There will be: Improved/Greater everything; Meta Magic/Psionics/Abilities; Proficiencies/Focuses
Etc. Same old same old.
If you start digging deeper though, there is so much more. For everything, and every class. You can break the game with the core books and supplements, so I don't see why you can't bunch their feats next to say Mongoose Publishing's Quintessential Series. (Favorite Index is probably 101 Monster Feats, so far)

I guess my point is that the highly detailed and obscure indexes with almost synergetic qualities are few and far between. I would just like to see more of them and I want to help.

It's helpful to be able to go find a list of every metamagic feat. It even has the possibility to get the creative juices flowing. I would just think that having someone to help connect the concept dots to new players would help them learn the dynamics, after the new wears off.

You might get pointed in some nice places, but eventually, that leads to a wall. Showing someone The Complete series' Feats, and mixing in feats of the Cores of 3 & 3.5 is one thing, but when you want to show a newer player that the possibilities are endless with what they can do with their characters, it's subpar.

Nothing is quite like reading through the pg of faerun, the Races of Faerun, then stumbling upon Requiem for a God, and When the Sky Falls, minutes after your DM says its a mixed edition game because their sources are mixed.

Outsider Template/Greater Teleport at will at 5th level? Sign me up. Ill grab those soul eating feats in a few, then look for some Divinity Sparks.

It's me to be honest. I even prefer Legacy MTG.

I know that about the ambi/multidexterity switching to the two/multi weapon fighting system. I just got my sources mixed again there.
That trait was a homebrew trait that I approved, because of the balance. Benefit: +3 to main hand and off-hand when using the two-weapon fighting rules. Drawback: -2 to all attacks;
Kind of gross if you ask me. The -2/-2 isn't so bad that you should try so hard to get rid of it. 2300ish gold/ weapon or like 300 Gp and Weapon Focus/weapon. That is way easier than homebrewing new content. On the other hand, when making multiple dual weilding npc's, it's easier on the DM to tweak it to have negatives, or to just use it a place holder.

I am bored and just got back into this, due to finding players. Forgive my lack of self control.

Just the way I see it, anything a player in my game breaks, I can balance. You send a broken 5th level character with the power of a level 20 at me, I'm gonna steer you straight into the hole you dug, while rooting for the other guy.

I guess the unspoken rule here is, don't be a ****. Make your character strong or unique, but don't ruin the experience for the new players.

The most simple fix ever was a chaos mage using luck points. Just kept throwing tiny creatures at him until he didn't have any luck points left. (Chaos Mages have a crit failure drawback; luck points allow for rerolls.)

I'm rambling now. Later.