PDA

View Full Version : Shapechange and magic items

Yogibear41
2019-02-19, 02:48 AM
If I use shapechange (the spell) to assume a new form do I keep my equipment or does it merge similar to polymorph? In addition do I keep any Inherent bonuses from tomes.

Example: I have a +6 Belt of Giant Strength and I have used a tome to gain a +5 inherent bonus to my strength.

If I shapechange into a solar (base strength 28) Do I have a strength of 28, 33, 34 or 39?

Crake
2019-02-19, 05:39 AM
Inherent bonuses are just that, inherent to you, changing your form does not retain your physical bonuses, though you would retain your mental ones. Regarding magic items though, shapechange references polymoprh, which references alter self which says:

When the change occurs, your equipment, if any, either remains worn or held by the new form (if it is capable of wearing or holding the item), or melds into the new form and becomes nonfunctional.

Psyren
2019-02-19, 12:49 PM
3.5 or Pathfinder? The answer is different depending on edition.

Crake
2019-02-19, 01:06 PM
3.5 or Pathfinder? The answer is different depending on edition.

I was assuming 3.5, considering you can't shapechange into outsiders in pf.

Psyren
2019-02-19, 01:38 PM
I was assuming 3.5, considering you can't shapechange into outsiders in pf.

Fair, but only his last question mentioned becoming a solar so I thought I'd ask.

Sleven
2019-02-19, 11:11 PM
Inherent bonuses are just that, inherent to you, changing your form does not retain your physical bonuses, though you would retain your mental ones.

Perhaps you'd like to cite a rules source for this (admittedly very common) misconception?

Inherent bonuses are just that: bonuses. They are not the same as ability score increases from leveling. Alter Self, Change Shape, Polymorph, Shapechange, Alternate Form, Wild Shape, etc. all lack clauses that would cause you to lose any bonuses you currently have. Only "normal game statistics" are replaced, and bonuses aren't normal game statistics, they're extra.

Yogibear41
2019-02-20, 12:02 AM
Using 3.5 not pathfinder.

If you don't keep Inherent bonuses that puts a small damper on my plans for turning an Urban Druid into a passable melee fighter at higher levels by shapechanging into a solar. (I know there are way better things I could shapechange into, but Solar was on theme for the character concept)