PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next School of Mahō Shōjo

Yunru
2019-02-19, 06:08 AM
Because all magical girls go to magical girl school :P

School of Mahō Shōjo

Transformation: Beginning when you select this school at 2nd level, you can transform your outfit into magical armor or back to normal as a bonus action. While transformed you have an AC of 13+your dexterity modifier.

Barrier Jacket: Beginning at 2nd level, while transformed, you gain Temporary Hit Points equal to your proficiency modifier at the end of each of your turns.

Seeker Cantrip: Starting at 6th level, your attack rolls for Wizard cantrips you cast have advantage.

Spellsurge: Beginning at 10th level, you can increase the level of a spell you cast by 1. Once you've used this feature twice, you can't use it again until after a short or long rest.

Wings of Flight: Starting at 14th level, you have a fly speed equal to five times your Intelligence modifier (minimum 5").

Homebrew Index (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?581718-Personal-Homebrew-Index)

nickl_2000
2019-02-19, 08:19 AM
Because all magical girls go to magical girl school :P

School of Mahō Shōjo

Transformation: Beginning when you select this school at 2nd level, you can transform your outfit into magical armor as a bonus action. While transformed you have an AC of 13+your dexterity modifier.

Barrier Jacket: Beginning at 2nd level, at the start of each of your turns, you gain Temporary Hit Points equal to your Wizard levels.

Seeker Cantrip: Starting at 6th level, your attack roll cantrips have advantage.

Spellsurge: Beginning at 10th level, you can increase the level of a spell you cast by 1. Once you've used this feature twice, you can't use it again until after a short or long rest.

Wings of Flight: Starting at 14th level, you have a fly speed equal to five times your Intelligence modifier (minimum 5").

I'm not going to comment on styling here since I know little about the whole concept of a magic girl (I think it is anime, which has never been a big thing for me)

Transformation: - a bonus action to replicate mage armor. That seems fine to me.

Barrier Jacket - This is all kinds of broken. A wizard gets 1d6+con HP. So, you are looking at an average 5-6 HP per level. Effectively this is making it so you gain an additional 20% HP in temp HP ever single round. This needs to be conditional in some way. Something causing you to gain the HP (and it doesn't fail the bag of rats test)

Seeker Cantrip: - This is pretty broken to, although not as much as barrier jacket. The problem here is that there is no way for it to be prevented or limited. I would look at a limiter here. What causes the attack rolls to be at advantage?

Spellsurge: - I don't see this as a problem

Wings of Flight: - So max of 25' flight speed. Not out of the realm. It's powerful, but as a capstone it should be.

Yunru
2019-02-19, 08:33 AM
Yeah I had a lot of feedback and work done on it over on EnWorld, then they had their great crash and I lost it all.

Barrier Jacket I believe was changed to one of the following:
1/2 Wizard level (rounded down)
Proficiency modifier
Intelligence modifier

Lightmagemike
2019-02-25, 09:33 PM
One comment I would make is that there is no duration limit listed on Transformation. This means that there isn't really ever a downside to not being transformed. There isn't even really a listed roleplay drawback, so there's not really a reason to ever not have that up. There also aren't listed any mechanics for undoing the transformation. Also as a bonus action? Freely? Do you revert upon being rendered unconscious? Food for thought.

AkuArkaine
2019-02-26, 08:55 PM
Most Magical Girls have a disguise field that goes with their transformation. Being unrecognizable could be a major disadvantage in roleplay situations.

Maat Mons
2019-02-27, 01:04 AM
I remembered that "shojo" means "girl." And I remembered that "maho tsukai" means "blood mage." I guessed wrong and thought this thread would be about some sort of "blood girl" class. My interest has waned substantially since I actually read the thread.

Since I'm here anyway, I guess I'll make suggestions. I've never played 5e though, so keep that in mind.

Your cat familiar can talk.
You can cleanse enemies who have been possessed by evil forces.
When things look bleak, you deliver an inspirational speech.
You can smack things with your wand.
When you transform, it distracts enemies.

The Kool
2019-02-27, 10:39 AM
I'll have to admit I'm unconvinced this should be a Wizard subclass. Have you considered Bard? Ultimately it depends on the style of magical girl you're going for, but many of them seem to have some fighting prowess and social competence that suits the bard.

Yunru
2019-02-27, 01:12 PM
I'll have to admit I'm unconvinced this should be a Wizard subclass. Have you considered Bard? Ultimately it depends on the style of magical girl you're going for, but many of them seem to have some fighting prowess and social competence that suits the bard.Are you...
Are you suggesting that I codify the Talk No Justu (yes, Naruto is definitely a Magical Girl :P )?

The Kool
2019-02-27, 01:52 PM
Are you...
Are you suggesting that I codify the Talk No Justu (yes, Naruto is definitely a Magical Girl :P )?

I'm not saying you couldn't, that's for sure.